Port Alfred Travel Guide

Roger fishing
    Good size GEELBEK

Port Alfred Things to Do

• "KOWIE CHU CHU"

Take a slow ride to Bathurst on the colourful train! Train leaves Port Alfred Station every morning @ 11.05 am. Take something to drink and sit back and relax, its a great experience. In Bathurst you can opt for different tours or sit back in the Pig 'n Whistle hotel and 'sip the devils brew' till you climb aboard again. (they make their own beer...

• Grahamstown National Arts Festival (Near...

Africa's largest and most colourful cultural event offers a choice of the very best of both indigenous and imported talent. Every year for 11 days (June/July) Grahamstown's population almost doubles, as over 50 000 people flock to Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape for the feast of arts, crafts and sheer entertainment.

• Kowie History museum

a very small little museum in a very old building. Originally it was a school, then the magistrate's court house and then Telkom occupied it. You can read about the British settlers of 1820 that came to this part of the country and all their struggles. There is a nice butterfly and moth collection from this region. You can get acquinted with some...

• Kowie River cruise

A fun cruise as the skipper is really funny and extremely witty. However, even though you go approx 3km upstream, you do not really leave Port Alfred. So if you want to see the homes along the canals and upstream, then this is the cruise for you. If you want to see the countryside, then do the canoe trip which goes 21km upstream.The two hour cruise...

• Visit the beach

Yes I know that looking at my photo, you do not see any bathers, but please remember that this is not season time. Also there are a number of lovely blue flag beaches here.

• Kowie river mouth

A lovely area to visit with a nice beach next to it. A little bit upstream I would say approx 500 meters is where the 1820 settlers crossed the river. You will find a big stone with a unreadable plaque where this place is where they crossed the river.

• Bored? Play cards

In this sleepy hollow, you can become bored, so entertain yourself and play cards with friends. Good for building strong friendship bonds.

• Great Fish Point Lighthouse:

The lighthouse was built in 1898 and is seeped in history. Today it is a tourist destination and the resident lighthouse keeper Martin will show you around.

• River or Beach

Port Alfred is a sleepy town during the off-season. Early December to the end of January the popolation more than doubles, and the shopkeepers battle to keep up with the demand for food and drink. I am sure the locals breathe a sigh of relief when the town gets back to normality. A lot of the locals especially those who have homes on the Marina or...

Port Alfred Hotels

Port Alfred Restaurants

• by Jofred Written Jul 19, 2011

Barmuda offers “upmarket” dining. Sure, if you’re a student. Or a surfer.

This is the tale of our dinner there. It’s a comedy.

Let’s call the frontmen Mutt and Jeff. For those who’ve been there, Mutt is the fat, slovenly one who prides himself on being rude. Jeff is the shifty-eyed one, who denies all responsibility.

We are easy-going diners. We didn’t mind the ‘70s hard rock played at top volume. It was preferable to the techno-boom and hectic flamenco that followed. Eclectic taste, we said. Bit loud, but hey.

We didn’t even mind that we were sent an already open bottle of wine, and a cork stamped with the name of a different winery. Odd, we said, but it tasted okay.

We became edgy (but didn’t complain) when our food took well over an hour. But hey, this was coastal time.

The real trouble came when we tried to pay. They chose that moment to tell us the credit card machine was broken. Oh dear, we said. Should we not have been told at the door? This is where our funny frontmen come in. The flustered waitress went to “ask the manager”.

Mutt and Jeff were chatting to friends at the bar. They kept her waiting while they finished their conversation.

“The manager says you must drive to town and draw money. He’ll give you a free drink when you come back.”

Wow. What an enticement. A free drink at the bar with Mutt and Jeff. As I said, perhaps if you were a student…

As it happens, we don’t carry much cash or cash cards at night. A couple of bad experiences put paid to that. Poor flustered waitress returned to the bar, where she shifted from foot to foot while Mutt finished a story.

“The manager says you must drive home and get some money,” she said when she returned (again).

We laughed a bit. We could see why they were a popular act at the bar. We were staying 30km away, in Kasoega.

This time, they kept her waiting so long we got up ourselves. They both claimed to be the manager. Arms folded, Mutt said we could come back and pay the next day. Gee thanks, we said. His friends sniggered.

“Well you can’t shop in Kasoega, so you must be coming back here,” said Jeff.

We offered to leave the extent of our cash and transfer the rest electronically. They hadn’t thought of that. They didn’t know the bank details. I suggested they sms us.

I was now thoroughly pissed off, so I turned back to explain how they could have handled it. Instead of sending the poor, shaking waitress back three times, perhaps one of them might have considered coming over himself? And had they thought of apologising? (I know that’s a big word, Mutt. You can look it up.)

Mutt glanced at his audience, folded his arms and told me I was making a big issue out of nothing. No, I explained, that was his job. Jeff denied he’d been told anything, knew anything, or that anything was his fault.

Mutt turned his back on me and disappeared. He reappeared on the other side of the bar, where he joined his sniggering buddies. I told him he was rude. “I’d already heard you,” he said tiredly. “Is that all?” His buddies thought that hilarious.

I asked for the name of the owner. “We’re the owners,” said Mutt. I knew that couldn’t be true. Perhaps Jeff denies responsibility for owning a second-hand car. But Mutt couldn’t own more than the dope-patch he no doubt cultivates in his parents’ garden

Look the food was okay, although my partner’s fish had been in a pan that had enjoyed a close association with liver. It wasn’t good enough to make up for Mutt and Jeff.

The outlook is gorgeous. Perhaps they think that’s enough.

• Beaches
    • Business Travel

Port Alfred Shopping

• Beautifying your garden

I visited the local nursery looking for a curry plant. I was amazed at the high prices charged, but I suppose that is due to the fact that they are quite far from big cities and transporting costs can run high. They did not have a very big variety when we visited, but maybe that was because it was the end of the season and they were waiting for new...

• Jester Mall

I do not quite think that this place qualifies as a mall, but who am I to tell the folk here what a mall is and what it is not.

• Heritage Mall

This little shopping centre, has Pick'n Pay (for foodstuff & little bit of clothing), Mr Price (for affordable clothing), bottle store, shell shop, jeweller, Wimpy and a few more.

Port Alfred Warnings and Dangers

• Davy124's Profile Photo

by Davy124 Written Jan 5, 2004

Miles of wonderful beach, but be carefull swimming there is a very very strong undertow at all states of the tide. Great harbour for motor boats but if you try to come in with a deep keeled sailing boat you will hit the bar.

Port Alfred Sports & Outdoors

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

by mvtouring Written Feb 6, 2009

At a cost of R450 plus your temporary fishing licence (you get it from the post office if you do not already have one), you can go deepsea fishing.

Equipment: You do not need any equipment, Andre supplies everything for you.

Instant Answers: Port Alfred

Comments

Explore Deeper into Port Alfred
Map of Port Alfred