Port Elizabeth Restaurants

Raasoie
    by PierreZA

Most Recent Restaurants in Port Elizabeth

• cbotha24's Profile Photo

Georgiou's Steakhouse: Just Terrible!

by cbotha24 Written Jan 9, 2014

Just Terrible!

I went to Georgiou's Steakhouse in Sunridge Park with my two sons and mother.
    Our waiter was quick and brought menus as soon as we sat down.
    After our drinks order was taken, the waiter returned for the food order.
    It was at this time that we noticed they have a buffet dinner. If we didn't see it, the waiter would never have told us.

This is where the wheels fell off.
    Getting a plate of food, I noticed that everything was cold.
    I ate most of my food but noticed a bad odour coming from the roast beef.
    Luckily I didn't eat too much about it.

My mother and kids weren't so lucky. All three can down with a mild case of food poisoning that night.

Enter the dessert menu. The only reason I go to Georgiou's is the selection of desserts. I have been there before and the dessert was fantastic.
    This was not the case on the night in question.
    I ordered the Creme Brulee and my mother the Chocolate mousse.
    Upon cracking the Creme Brulee open, I noticed the egg was cooked, giving it the consistency of a soggy omelette.
    The chocolate mouse was like a thick milkshake with the ice cream sinking halfway down the glass.

I complained about the food and was told that this is how they make their Creme Brulee. The chocolate mousse apparently didn't have enough time to set yet.

Eventually after asking to see the manager twice, he came to our table and apologised for the bad food, saying that the restaurant is in the process of improving their standards.

Needless to say, I was not a happy customer. I asked for the owner's details and left my number. No-one has since come back to me. Looking at other reviews online, including Hello Peter, I see that their problems have been going on since 2012 and nothing seems to be done about it. I will never again set foot in this establishment. They treat their customers like a necessary evil at best. This time I am voting with my feet.

Favorite Dish: Was the Crème Brulee, but now I won't put anything from here in my mouth.

• de Kelder RESTAURANT: HEAVEN!!! an eating experience

by Cariolatalis Written May 20, 2012

Its special because you are ushered in as if awaited and welcomed in spite of no reservation.

Staff and surroundings NOT austere and unfriendly, rather, warm and enfolding you in a warm
    clean pleasant surrounding . Totally relaxing, setting the right mood for one to leisurely study
    the menu and decide what to eat. A party of eight people, we selected, from what I recall the
    LINE FISH RANGE... BASTILLE STEAK......VEGETARIAN PLATTER AND/AND/....sigh!!! utterly super
    deliciously prepared and served . Obviously cooked by someone trained to love and enjoy and KNOW what they were doing and how to please .

Favorite Dish: Favourite dish?? though all the dishes the members of our party ordered were constantly being
    tasted and approved with much HHMMMM ......... for the purpose of this review to select a

special favourite , but I think I would have to say the Paella, which I did not read from the
    menu but simply asked if it could be ordered, and I was brought A REVELATION!! Paella
    obviously improvised and made uniquely for me and OOOOOh it was SO GOOD.
    This is cooking at its best, NOT standardised or artificially trimmed like Picasso paintings,
    but the person cooking, being intent on impressing and delighting you, as too the
    vegetarian platter which was neither boring nor usual but sort of CREATED

• Business Travel

Nosh: Good Food

by PierreZA Updated May 22, 2009

Nosh

Our first impressions of this restaurant was extremely negative. The waitress informed us that we could not order anything from the menu, but only a set menu, which she brought to our table, scribbled on a 5cmx5cm piece of paper. She was also unaware about the wine list.
    We decided to leave. On our way out, we were met by the chef and we explained our dissatisfaction. He assured us that we will get good food (anything from the menu) and good service.
    Well, it did get much better, and the food was actually quite good.
    It is definitely one of the better restaurants in PE, if not one of the best.
    However, if one pay quite a bit of money at an expensive restaurant, the unprofessional behaviour of the waitress is not acceptable at all.

Favorite Dish: Prawn Bisque

The Coachman: Good Dining

by PierreZA Updated Jan 6, 2008

Coachman

One of the better restaurants in Port Elizabeth. It is not a new establishment, you will still find their old location in Central - the sign has not been removed.
    The menu is good and you will most probably find something you would like to try.
    It is advisable too book, as it is very popular.
    Wine list is average.

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo

Squires Legengary Grills: You cannot miss eating here

by dejavu2gb Written Apr 27, 2005

The Legendary Squires

For all the times I have visited Port Elizabeth, I have made a stop at Squires to have a meal there.
    Squires is a small chain of Grill Restaurants that serve top quality meat dishes ranging from Beef to Ostrich, in a very nice atmosphere.
    The service was very very good, and the food was just simply incredible.
    Do yourself a favour and go... hmm my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Favorite Dish: I have been to both the Sun City and the Port Elizabeth restaurants and every time I have had the Biltong Steak.
    Its steak covered in a guacamole and pieces of biltong accompanied with a sour cream, served baked potato, rice or fries.

If that does not take your fancy, look at their gourmet steak section, for a mouth watering selection.

• Casino and Gambling

• Tamarin's Profile Photo

Mauro's: Fabulous food, breathtaking view!!!

by Tamarin Written May 15, 2004

Mauro's is right on the beach - I strongly advise getting there early to watch the sunset and enjoy a few cocktails in a retro modern decorated funky ambiance. Food is mediterranean and my experience of the service was great. A bit pricy but well worth every cent!

Favorite Dish: Gnocci Gorganzolla or any of their seafood specialities which change on a daily basis.

• Harlequins: Fabulous Fish!

by eeclark Written Dec 28, 2002

Harlequins is a small restaurant with an intimate atmosphere. It is a delightful dinner experience with close friends and offers an array of dishes and wonderful service.

Favorite Dish: The Hake is my favorite dish! Although I am no seafood lover, this dish is fabulous! The hake is broiled with lemon and is full of flavor! The also serve a wonderful grilled chicken salad and tasty pasta. Also, sharing a bottle of wine with the meal is a must!

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

John Dory's (Summerstrad): claims to have the best portuguese chicken

by MarioPortugal Written Nov 20, 2010

John Dory's claims to serve the best portuguese chicken.
    I gotta try it one of these days :). Maybe next time.

Favorite Dish: So far I've only tried their Sushi.
    My opinion about it is it's OK

Raasoie: Good Indian Food

by PierreZA Written Jun 21, 2008

Raasoie

Good ethnic Indian cuisine. Dishes from all parts of India, including Tandoor.
    It also offers take-aways.

Instant Answers: Port Elizabeth

Comments

Port Elizabeth Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Port Elizabeth restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Port Elizabeth sightseeing.

View all Port Elizabeth hotels