Durban Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Durban

• moss25's Profile Photo

Havana Grill: This restaurant rocks!

by moss25 Written Nov 21, 2007

Havana Grill is located on the upper level in the Suncoast hotel and casino complex, which is located on Snell parade in Durban. 100% wheelchair accessible. On the two occassions that we dined there we where so impressed with the wait staff. The waiters really are top class!

Favorite Dish: I can highly recommend the Prawn samoosa as a starter. It's one of Havana Grill's signature dishes... It's simply deliscious... It's layers of samoosa squares/pastry and the most yummy and spicey prawn filling, topped with fresh coriander...

For mains I can recommend the deboned BBQ ribs... That's right, deboned ribs! What a pleasure to eat ribs without the mess! And it was plate licking good! We where so impressed with Havana Grill that we ate there two nights in a row! Yes, it was that good...

• Fabulous: Good Food, But Service With A Sneer

by canadian_abroad Written May 4, 2007

Good food (not great - I've lived in North Africa, so I should know), but service with a sneer.

Unfortunately, given that this was supposed to be a sumptuous evening for birthday out, it was not one to be repeated. Insensitive waiting staff (apparently my drink was in the wrong place, so that when our waiter tipped it, he didn't feel the need to replace it) and host (with a great 'can't do' attitude) put a negative spin on the whole experience.

Too bad since the place had great atmosphere. Moroccan themed, with a lot of energy spent making a place that felt like another world. Too bad it wasn't a world with people whom I'd care to spend any time with.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Ushaka: Eating by the Shark Tank!

by kentishgirl Updated Mar 21, 2007
    Us at Ushaka restaurant

We were so lucky to be able to eat here, lucky for us Keith and Pat of Smiths Cottage invited us to dinner with them and their friends.
    Ushaka is located on the beachfront in central Durban. You do not have to visit the Marine world centre to go into the restaurant.

The food was amazing, more expensive that we usually spend, but the quality was fabulous and the service was brilliant too.

Favorite Dish:
    This restaurant is unique because it is located in the ship that stands at Ushaka. The restaurant is centred around the huge shark tank, so if you book early (Which is highly recommended for this restaurant), you can reserve a table right next to shark tank - it's a pretty cool experience.

• Aquarium

• mirko77's Profile Photo

Cargo Hold @ uShaka: Probably the largest fishtank ever in a restaurant

by mirko77 Written Nov 15, 2006
    (c) www.dining-out.co.za

One of the walls of the restaurant is actually a huge fish tank with sharks and other fishes.
    It is a really incredible experience: book early!

Favorite Dish: The food is excellent cross cuisine. The menu changes frequently.

• Aquarium

The Sugar Club: Absolute Luxury

by kzngirl Written May 22, 2006
    Carpaccio of Ostrich starter

The Sugar Club

This is a fabulous restaurant situated inside the Beverly Hills hotel on Umhlanga Beachfront...Definitely one for special occasions! I have been there a few times and have always been wow'ed by the service and special touches given to the dining experience.

We usually have drinks on the Pool Terrace, before heading indoors and starting our meal.

Favorite Dish: I started with Carpaccio of Ostrich, with wasabi mayonnaise, vegetable sushi and tomato ginger compote. For mains, both mum and I had Chicken Tikka, with Indonesian Stir-Fry vegetables, with a mango tumeric and coconut sauce. This was accompanied by a deep fried banana with sesame seeds - divine! My dad had Lobster Broth to start, which he found amazing (if a little too filling) followed by roast rack of Karoo lamb, ratatouille and fried potato cakes, natural jus and roasted vegetables.

After all that I thought I was too full for dessert, and then I saw what was on offer and couldn't resist! I ordered the Baked Lemon Pudding, with iced lemon tequila mousse and candied orange segments.

As if one visit wasn't enough! I then took one of my best friends there for dinner on my last night in South Africa. This time, I had the African Caesar Salad (with Biltong shavings) and Spiced Chicken soup with fresh vegetables, while Kerry had the most incredible goat's cheese starter, followed by Beef Wellington.

Between courses we ordered the Strawberry Champagne Sorbet - it came served in an ostritch egg-sized carved ice bowl - one of the most incredible things I have ever had the good fortune to try! I highly recommend it (mind you it is a whopping big portion, much larger than the usual sorbet servings in between meals!)

• Luxury Travel

• kzngirl's Profile Photo

Fego's Coffee Shop: Sit and watch a while...

by kzngirl Written Apr 21, 2006

After a hectic afternoon shopping in the Pavilion - a large shopping mall on the outskirts of Westville - we decided to take a break, put our feet up and enjoy a coffee in Fego's.

An extension of the bookshop, Exclusive Books, Fego's is situated on the lower level of the Pavilion, just around the corner from the cinema. A great place to sit back and watch the world wander by, Fego's is relaxed, cheerful coffee spot serving a variety of snacks from toasted panninis to salads to sandwiches, teas, coffees and its famous milkshakes. The service was friendly and fast. I ordered a Chocochino, a chocolate and coffee mix, complete with a melted pool of dark Belgian chocolate lurking near the bottom of my glass - bliss!

Mum ordered a cappuccino and our friend Gayle a rooibos tea with lemon. All drinks were served with dainty short bread biscuits, a perfect accompaniment!

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

The Wine Domain: Fabulous Wines - Gorgeous Food

by kzngirl Written Apr 21, 2006

My salad

As we were going away for mum's birthday, her very good friend Felicity decided to treat her to an early birthday lunch at a wonderful restaurant in Westville, called the Wine Domain. This is actually a wine shop with a small restaurant opening up to one side. I had been in a week earlier to buy a selection of wines for my dad's birthday. The owner, a chap called Kim is incredibly knowledgable and was able to recommend some fabulous bottles for my dad.

Kim and his wife Rhona, own both the wine shop and the restaurant. Rhona does all her own cooking and the dishes on offer range from light salads to quiches - all accompanied with Kim's wine selection - teas, coffees and light desserts.

The dishes become firm favorites with the locals - Felicity even went so far as to put in an order for smoked salmon quiche the day before so it would be on the menu when we returned the following day! The dishes are seasonal and do change daily depending on the fresh ingredients available at the time.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the smoked chicken, bacon and feta salad, mum and Fe had the smoked salmon quiche. Mine was exquisite and it was all I could do to refrain from licking the plate afterwards. Kim and Rhona make their own salad dressing which was incredible. With wild abandon I poured it all over my salad! Together with the wonderful wheat bread and excellent wine, the meal was incredible.

Mum and Fe loved their quiche (in fact there were only two pieces left when we arrived so Rhona hurried over to ask if we would like her to hold onto them until we were ready to order - what a question!)

We had earl grey tea and a latte to finish, I had half a slice of lemon tart - tart and fresh - divine! Fe had half a slice of cheesecake - also a winner! They offer half slices - a wonderful idea if you have just enough room left over after the mouthwatering mains!

• Women's Travel

Mahal Al-Nur: For the curry lovers

by cleocat Written Jan 22, 2006

Curry

Nice view over the sea and beach. It was raining so we couldn't sit on the balcony but sitting outside on a sunny day should be very nice. Friendly staff and owners. A bit expensive. Gary believes in eating real Indian curry when in Durban so this one was his treat. The kids had hamburgers. I had a basket of curry goodies. Wasn't too impressed.

Favorite Dish: Gary had lamb curry that was so hot it made him sweat so he was completely happy.

John Dory's: Seafood

by cleocat Written Jan 18, 2006

Beautiful setting. On the Wilson's wharf with a view over the harbour and the boats. Big outisde covered deck. Two years ago we were at another restaurant in the same area, in the middle of winter and sat outside on the deck.

Wide variety of seafood, from crayfish to normal fish and chips. Also steak etc for the kid who doesn't eat fish. Three of us had calamari and it was excellent. I had a sudden need for creamed spinach and although it did't come standard with the calamari the waiter organized a plate of spinach. Gary had Trout with a spinach and mushroom filling and he loved it.

Favorite Dish: Calamari cooked to perfection. Anyday as good as Sagres in Mozambique. See my Mozambique page.

Fressh: Nice big breakfast

by cleocat Written Jan 18, 2006

While everybody else were running to Wimpy we decided we want some peace and quiet and seeing that we don't really like Wimpy's breakfast we were ready for a new challenge.

We chose Fressh because of the special they had. The breakfast was around R25 with a few additions that Wimpy doesn't have like fried mushrooms. Very nice, big and well prepared and affordable. Coffee was included in the price.

Favorite Dish: Fried mushrooms.

Wimpy: Coffee

by cleocat Written Jan 18, 2006

I have never been a great fan of Wimpy. I suppose there is something wrong with me because it always very popular. The two mornings we were at Ushaka Marine world, the Wimpy was crowded and the other restaurant's relatively quiet.

The breakfast's are Ok but I have had better. Very boring, the bacon and egg thing.

Favorite Dish: Coffee. Ever since I can remember Wimpy had great coffee. No special blends or anything just normal coffee. The newest on the menu is the Mega coffee. Still tatse the same but in an enormous cup. A normal cup is about R7 and the Mega R10 and three times the size.

Roma Revolving Restaurant: Durban's only revolving restaurant

by MikeAtSea Written Jul 15, 2005

Roma Revolving Restaurant

The Italian owners are masters in their cuisine - or should I say cucina... :-) Besides stunning views on the 32nd floor high above the harbour and the city of Durban the food and beverage collection is stunning.

Favorite Dish: The veal is great!

Ile Maurice: One of the best in Durban

by MikeAtSea Written Apr 5, 2005

Ile Maurice Restaurant

This French restaurant by owner Robert Mauvis with a Creole underlining is strong competition to be one of the best restaurants in Durban.
    The food and service in the exclusive venue is simply marvelous in particular if you like the combination of French dishes from the Island of Mauritius.

Bistro 136: Swiss Cuisine in Africa

by MikeAtSea Written Apr 3, 2005

Bistro 136

Willi's restaurant is one of the best in Durban. The Swiss culinary chef offers some of the best meals and great wines in this lovely small restaurant in Morningside.

Favorite Dish: The Veal with typcial Roesti
    Oysters!!!
    The various casseroles he offers!!!

• Luxury Travel

• justbecks's Profile Photo

Spice At Florida: Spicy gourmet!

by justbecks Written Oct 4, 2004

Good food all spiced up and ready to devour!With fine touches and ranging from mild to hot to suit your gastranomic palette.....A real find!Cosy atmosphere and thoughtful hospitality.

Favorite Dish: The rack of lamb was excellent and seasoned to perfection-just right.Came with spiced potato mash..Good for a main.
    Menu is seasonal though.
    The spring salad i had there last was divine!

Instant Answers: Durban

Comments

Durban Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Durban restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Durban sightseeing.