Tours, Cape Town

Know about this? Rate It!

Tafelberg seen from V&A Waterfront
  • Our Travel Group at the Cape of Good Hope
    Our Travel Group at the Cape of Good...
    Penguins at Boulder's Beach
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

An exceptionally good tour guide

by CatherineReichardt Updated Jan 1, 2013

Favorite thing: It's not often that you need a tour guide in cities that you know well, but on my last trip to Cape Town, I came across Allan Korsman of Blue Monkey Tours, who lead the tour that I joined at Groote Schuur's Heart of Cape Town museum. He helps out occasionally at the museum, but more commonly guides tours which he customises to meet his clients' requirements: he has a particular interest in the architecture of the CBD - around which he can organise walking tours - and is also passionate about history, wildlife and wine.

I am often quite critical of tour guides for rehashing the same tired old material, but in Allan's case, that couldn't be further from the truth. He had me spellbound for the entire two hour tour, and at times I was reduced to tears by the tales of human triumph and tragedy that he evoked. His knowledge was encyclopaedic, and I really appreciated his ability to gauge the interests of his audience and willingness to engage (both during the trip and afterwards). In fact it was Allan that was able to answer my odd request for the street address of the accident in which Denise Darvall - who became the first heart donor - was fatefully injured.

The fact that he unilaterally offered to properly attach my new camera strap to my camera was just the icing on the cake!

His details are as follows:
    E-mail : korsmans@iafrica.com
    Cell (mobile): +27 82 581 2641
    Tel : +27 21 979 1054
    Website: www.bluemonkeytours.co.za

• mrawal's Profile Photo

Cape point, tablemountain trip with Andrew Penn

by mrawal Written Jun 11, 2012
    Capetown guide Andrew Penn

Favorite thing: The cape point is marvellous and really natural phenomenon.also Table mountain cable car ride experience is memoriable
    This touir I done with Mr Andrew Penn the Capetown Guide and tour agent.
    His knowledge of History and geography is exellent.
    He is alo very funy witty and helping
    I really enjoyed this tour with hi9s help

Fondest memory: Cape town sweet memory is a coffe on table mountain restaurant caffe

• Seniors

• tini58de's Profile Photo

A very special tour guide

by tini58de Updated Aug 8, 2010

Selwyn Davidowitz

Fondest memory: Selwyn Davidowitz was recommended to us by both American and British friends, who had previously enjoyed one of his outstanding tours and were full of praise.

So we contacted him via his website http://www.ilovecapetown.com/ and after he had verified that our English was sufficient to really understand the explanations, he was happy to take us on a very personal "Cultural Tour of Cape Town".

We spent a day with him and learned so much about the history, the languages (especially Afrikaans), the people, the problems and the joys of living in South Africa. We had asked him if he could take us on a tour to a township, but he insisted that he would not "tour" a township, but rather visit it. And he was more than happy to take us along on this visit to Kayamandi, where we spent more than 6 hours! If you are interested, have a look at Selwyn's photo album of our day with him.

Okay, he is not one of the "bargain" tour guides, but the money is well spent (plus much of the money is reinvested into projects in the township of Kayamandi) - so this is another reason to try to book a trip with him!

Thanks, Selwyn - you made this day very special to us!

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Attractions outside of Cape Town: Tour Companies

by Airpunk Written May 27, 2008
    Our Travel Group at the Cape of Good Hope

Favorite thing: Many of Cape Town’s attractions are found outside of the city, especially when it comes to wildlife. Since public transport to this places is almost non-existant you’ll need to rent a car or rely on a tour company. Popular tour destinations are Franshoek and its wine goods, the cape peninsula with the national wildlife reserve, Hout Bay/Seal island, the penguin colony at Boulder’s beach, Kirstenbosch gardens or Hermanus with its unique places for land-based whale watching. Ask your hotel for tours and they will help you to find the right tour company for your needs. If you want to book on your own, the two largest tour companies are African Eagle and Hylton Ross. After I didn’t find any reliable data for African Eagle, I opted for Hylton Ross.

Fondest memory: Indeed, both times we went out with them, we had a lot of fun. We were always a group of six tourists in total, driving around the countryside and having fun. The guides and also the passengers were very friendly and open-minded. So, on the second tour we even started singing songs from each others country. I hope you are as lucky as me with the guides as I was. If you want to try it out, check their website and pick one of their tours. For further info, check my comments about the tours and the single attractions in my “Things to do” section.

• Whale Watching
    • National/State Park

• WaRPer's Profile Photo

Tourism Center

by WaRPer Updated Dec 23, 2006

Tourism Center

Favorite thing: Whatever you wanna do.
    Whatever you wanna see.
    Before you decide anything......
    Make Cape Town Tourism your first stop! There're all sorts of information; Tours, Day-tripper, Accommodation, Bus/Train/Car booking service,....get free brochures, flyers, booklets, and the staffs are really helpful and informative. 5 Stars for that!!
    + Internet Cafe and snack bar

Cape Town Tourism
    Cnr. Burg and Castle Street

• Trains

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Tourism Information Centre

by cochinjew Written Jun 7, 2003

Favorite thing: One of the most organized tourism information centres in the world is right here in cape town at the centre of town.. all sorts of information you would need to know about cape town and the cape province.. every single bed and breakfast and hotel information.. tours and tours to hither and there... and more importantly the most helpful of all agents..
    Henry James is really a gem of a helper... we talked for a while and he recommended that i stay at David's and it was almost like a custom fit..
    When someone likes their job it shows, and talking to Henry, one gets pleasure and also he doesnt instill fear into you, like everyone else, it is not part of his job to do so, i have noticed that people who really love their cities and who have no problems living in them, usually praise their cities and advice you analytically rather than dramatically how to reduce your chances of being hurt..

Fondest memory: there are two tourism centres one at the arrival section at the international airport and the other larger one at the centre of town..
    from the airport, they can advise you about.. the hotels or bed and breakfasts or hostels or how to get to town and the tours.. but the largest amount of information isat your fingertips at the tourism centre in the city.. one of the best organized tourism centres i have ever seen..
    Thank you, Henry...

• PeaceHavenSA's Profile Photo

by PeaceHavenSA Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: http://www.safarinow.com/search.asp?ref=248 .
    Bookings ONLINE for Safari, Tours, Vacation, Business Travel also undertaken with the special attention you deserve; loads of specials accross Africa, all around the World:

• camilo74's Profile Photo

Seal Island

by camilo74 Updated Jan 17, 2005

Favorite thing: After i visited this place , i've seen it lots of

Fondest memory: times on TV, this islands are crowded with Seals , and also there are sharks waiting for them to have their dinner

• Beaches

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

A wonderful travel agent

by cochinjew Written Jun 29, 2003

mrs khurshid

Favorite thing: It is always good to run into a good travel agent who enjoys his or her job and I found one in Cape Town.. Mrs Khurshid..

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo

Helicopter tour

by pmarshuk Written Mar 16, 2003

Favorite thing: If you can a tour of Cape Town and its surrounds is a great trip - see my travelogue for more pictues

Instant Answers: Cape Town