Places to eat in Cape Town

by canuck68

Most Viewed Restaurants in Cape Town

• Eat @Altydgedacht: Tranquility on the urban border

by Miloshme Written Feb 11, 2014

Sitting in farm ambience (sans smells :o) under the trees in the heat of a summer's morning was fabulous. Tables vary from an intimate 2 seater to a large 8 seater and the mix and match inbetween. We sat down with our dogs on leash and the waiter walked over with a bowl of water for them. The food portions are large and the tastes are so good that one just wants to savour every mouthful. No rush, no fuss, just laidback tranquility without the frustrations of a laidback service - prompt and efficient. There is a playful funsicle course for the kids (even with the chaos that can surround them in a play park, it was extremely peaceful) and a lovely view of the farm. Wine tasting is right on the door step and we even witnesses some of the bovines wandering in the nearby fields.

Favorite Dish: We had breakfast : shared a Farmers breakfast and a Farmers platter. The tastes were fresh (many of the herbs growing in large barrels outside the kitchen). The eggs were done exactly as ordered and the cheeses, marmalade and jams were scrumptious. A doorstop of a quiche slice is also delectable and a firm favourite.

• Photography

Five Flies Restaurant: We walked out

by MM212 Updated Jan 22, 2014

First a disclaimer: It is very unusual for me to walk out of a restaurant. Five Flies Restaurant was recommended by a friend prior to the trip, so I called the restaurant in advance and made a reservation for a specific evening at 9pm. When we arrived, there was no record of our reservation, so we were told to have a drink at the bar while they sorted things out. 15 minutes later, we were led to our table and were quite happy at this point. Unfortunately, thereafter we only got the attention of our waiter every 20-25 minutes at best. Adding the intervals together, starting with sitting down, receiving the menus, ordering our wine, receiving the wine, and then finally coming over to order to take our food orders, meant that it was 10:45pm and our patience had run out. We complained and asked for the bill. The manager was very apologetic and was gracious enough not to charge us for the drinks - a nice gesture, but a bit too late. This is unfortunate because Five Flies does have the potential to be such a lovely place: it is housed in a beautifully restored old colonial house, has a delicious looking menu, and a great ambiance. It's a pity the service isn't...

Entrance of Five Flies, Dec 2013 Dining rooms of Five Flies, Dec 2013

Savoy Cabbage: My favourite in Cape Town

by MM212 Updated Jan 21, 2014

Great ambiance, beautiful dining room, excellent service, and delicious food. Need I say more? Yes, I ate here twice on my trip to Cape Town in Dec 2013/Jan 2014. The menu offers a range of dishes with local touches accompanied by local wines. It is obvious that the owners and staff of Savoy Cabbage do understand what it takes to make a restaurant work.

Savoy Cabbage, Dec 2013

Societi Bistro: Most enjoyable

by MM212 Updated Jan 8, 2014

Walking back to the hotel from The Company's Gardens on my last afternoon in Cape Town, I stumbled upon this pleasant looking restaurant called Societi Bistro. We had left our last evening without specific dinner plans, so I immediately made a reservation for later that evening. Some of our dining experience in Cape Town had been disappointing - mainly because of bad restaurant management - so we were quite sceptical. Fortunately, this restaurant surprised to the upside because of its tasty local bistro-style dishes and very friendly and attentive service, not to mention its cosy outdoor terrace. Societi Bistro was definitely an excellent choice!

Societi Jan 2014

Belthazar: Excellent choice for South African game meat

by MM212 Updated Jan 8, 2014

Though one of numerous large restaurants in the Victoria Wharf, Belthazar maintains a high standard both in quality of food and service. It is mainly a seafood and steak restaurant, but includes with many South African game meats, not usually seen except in Africa. Many of the animals I had encountered on a safari the previous week were in Belthazar's menu, which I found a little discomforting at first, but then I embraced the concept and ordered one of them! The restaurant also offers many great local wines and the one we tried led us to the winery that produced it the following day.

South African game at Belthazar, Dec 2013 Belthazar, Dec 2013

Bombay Brasserie: Excellent Indian

by MM212 Updated Jan 8, 2014

Considered one of the best Indian restaurants in town, the Bombay Brasserie lived up to this title when I ate here one evening in late Dec 2013. This should not be surprising given that it is part of the Taj Hotel, a luxury Indian chain. Service is impeccable and the food authentic and very tasty. I highly recommend it.

Bombay Brasserie dining room, Dec 2013

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Karibu: Traditional South African Dining

by spocklogic Updated Sep 3, 2013

After a day of touring Cape Town, South Africa I was in the mood for something traditionally South African. I saw a flyer on the street side for Karibu restaurant, which described itself as taste of South Africa, so I decided to seek it out. It is located on the V&A waterfront at the second level of the Victoria Wharf. There is dining inside as well as outside. It was such a nice evening and the views of the harbor and table mountain looked splendid so I chose to dine outside. The seating is comfortable and well lit with candle light as the sun was setting.

The menu has quite a lot to offer, and being unfamiliar with what was traditionally South African, I asked the waitress what she suggested. There are a number grilled meat dishes prepared in a traditional South African Braai style. For those unfamiliar with this term, it is an Afrikaans word for an open barbecue or grill. Traditionally, wood was used, but charcoal is more common now for convenience. In addition, the menu offered many chicken dishes, kebabs, seafood and even Ostrich. Vegetarian dishes are served as well. There is enough variety here to satisfy everyone.

I started with a Lamb and sugar bean soup, which was quite delicious. For the main course I had the line fish of the day served with a side of herb mashed potatoes. The waitress said the fish was a variety of bluefish and locally caught. I wouldn't describe it as a light and flakey fish, but a little more dense and very moist. It was not strongly fishy tasting, which I prefer, nicely seasoned and I enjoyed it very much. A couple of Castle beers with my dinner combined with the splendid views made this dining experience a memorable one. A perfect way to end my tour of Cape Town.

Favorite Dish: The fish was quite good - fresh, moist & well seasoned

Karibu entrance Inside dining Outside dining Lamb & sugar bean soup Bluefish & herb mashed potatoes

• vpas's Profile Photo

Eastern Food Bazaar: Fantastic food at great prices!

by vpas Written Jun 3, 2013

This is a food court that serves North Indian, South Indian, Lebanese, Italian foods as well as superb natural ice cream flavours without chemicals. The prices are unbelievably low for South African standards.

Favorite Dish: Potato parata, vegetable biriyani, hummus with falafal, dosas, salted peanut ice cream,
    We did not try their uttappams but am sure they are good too.

• wabat's Profile Photo

Haas: Fantastic Coffee

by wabat Written May 25, 2013

A great place to sit and relax while you listen to tasteful music and enjoy a cup of coffee after your visit to the Bo-Kaap area (or indeed at any time). Without doubt the best coffee I had in a two week trip in South Africa and indeed until I returned to Australia in another three weeks.

For the Aussie readers among you my attempt to seek a coffee with milk was met by the question – Would you like a flat white Sir?!

This very popular café also serves cakes and food though I didn’t partake.

There's also an art gallery/ shop with lots of rather quirky jewellery, paintings, books and other beautiful, if useless, craft items (all the things one should have, darling!). I was enjoying my coffee too much to bother looking in detail.

Not cheap but reasonably priced and highly recommended.

Opening Times:
    Monday - Friday: 7am - 5pm Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays: 8am - 3pm

Favorite Dish: The Coffee (I didn't eat here)

Haas - Coffee Shop Haas - Coffee Shop

The Annex Restaurant: Cozy, Delicious Food in Kalk Bay

by GracesTrips Written Dec 19, 2012

There are not too many fine dining places to choose from in Kalk Bay. But, this is at the top of the list. The food was delicious. A tiny restaurant, so, you should make reservations in advance. I ordered the pork belly, is was crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. My boyfriend ordered the salmon fettucini and my daughter ordered the special tomato bisque. Nice ambience.

Savanna: Pizza in Greenmarket Square

by GracesTrips Updated Dec 19, 2012

If you're visiting Cape Town for the first time, you wanna check out the Greenmarket Square. It's lively with entertainment, outdoor vendors and eateries all around. We chose this Italian sort of place with outdoor seating. I had never had a pizza with avocado on it and it was pretty good.

Bertha's Restaurant: Great Food, Nice Outdoor Eating Area Simons Town

by GracesTrips Written Nov 28, 2012

We didn't have plans to dine here but it looked nice. It was a nice day to be eating outside. Located at the Simon's Town Boat Company at the harbor. I ordered a version of crab cakes but they were fish cakes. Delicious! Served with a salad and a tasty sauce. My boyfriend ordered fish and chips. My daughter had the most interesting plate and she loved it! A seafood combination platter with mussels, prawns, fried calamari and a salad. Everything tasted fresh. A great place to dine at!

Harbour House Restaurant in Kalk Bay: Seafood in Abundance

by GracesTrips Written Nov 17, 2012

This restaurant had lots to offer in the way of seafood. Even sushi. We were not terribly hungry went we went to dinner so my daughter and I shared a salad and some prawn and vegetable gnocchi. My boyfriend ordered a steak (he should have ordered some fish). The food we ordered was okay. I think ordering the fresh fish would have been much better. My boyfriend does eat fish but doesn't do shellfish and menu items become much more limited if shellfish is served with the fish. If you make reservations, ask for a window seat. The ocean crashes up to the restaurant.

Bistro Sixteen82: Fine Dining at Steenburg Wine Estate

by GracesTrips Updated Nov 17, 2012

Wow, beautiful place and food was delicious! Best to have lunch there. They don't offer a full dinner menu in the evening, just tapas. If you visit Cape Town, you should try this place out. South of the city center but should take you too long to get there

Wine Tasting Area Rare beef with Asian sauces Lox on toast with avocado and salad Dessert

Olympia Cafe: Best Food in Kalk Bay

by GracesTrips Written Nov 16, 2012

This came as a recommendation from someone who worked at the Chartfield Guesthouse where we stayed. We liked it so much that we ate there twice. It was jammed packed full of people so everyone else must like it, too. The fish is local and fresh. Portions were extremely huge! You just couldn't eat every bit on your plate. The flavors and tastes were great. Decent wine list, too, of the local South African wines. Kalk Bay is part of Cape Town but more towards the south eastern end of the cape.

Cape Town Hotels

Nelsons Spa & Guesthouse
1 Review & Opinion
Holiday Inn Express Cape Town Century City

Instant Answers: Cape Town

Comments

Cape Town Restaurants

cleocat's Profile Photo

It is so easy to find a world-class restaurant in Cape Town. The real problem will be to make a decision. So close to the ocean, fish and seafood will always be a favorite. But there is also...

Map of Cape Town