Areas to avoid, Cape Town

Know about this?

• Keep safety in mind, but don't worrry too much!
    Keep safety in mind, but don't worrry...
    by Airpunk
    Cape Flats
    by AndreSTGT
  • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

DO NOT TAKE THE M22 SOUTH FROM CPT!

by GracesTrips Updated Mar 27, 2014

We landed in Cape Town and picked up our car rental. The rental agent told us to take the N2 west then the M3 south to our destination in Kalk Bay. It would take an hour to get there. Instead, as we looked at the map, the more logical route was to take the M22 south to the R310 west and we would be there quicker.

OMG!!! That was a really, really bad idea! We drove through Nyanga immediately from the airport and it was very scary. Literally, thousands and thousands of people on the sidewalks and streets in an extremely poor area where people lived in shacks and storage containers. The traffic was slow going and we thought at any time we could be trapped and robbed. Fortunately, we tried not to make eye contact with anyone, all our luggage was in the trunk and we traveled through to the end of M22 until we got to the beach road that we felt safe.

Yes, we cut our travel by 30 minutes but it was not worth it. My 24 year old daughter was almost crying because she was so scared. It didn't help that my boyfriend was also very worried and vocalized his concern the entire time.

So, for the entire rest of our trip, we will be asking what areas to avoid as we make our way around town. Did not realize we would encounter such poverty in such a big provence as Cape Town. Now we know and hope other travelers do not experience what we went through!

• Cape Town, things to avoid

by Sergio0212 Updated Nov 11, 2013

I've been living in Cape Town from may to june 2013 and none of the things many mention here happened to me. I drove by night, stopped at robots, walk by myself in the dark and nothing, really nothing of this happened. I'm really surprised of what's written here. I've met only gentle people always ready to help in case of need and never asking me (or trying to steal me) something. Sergio from Italy

• Is Cape Town Safe

by steveyblam Written Oct 8, 2012

My fiance was supposed to be going to Cape Town to work and I must say that reading these types of comment on various travel forums has really helped her/us to make the decision. It's almost hilarious. I'm sure the guys on here who make out that death is a certainty as soon as you step off the plane are exaggerating as is the norm about any big city. I've heard some nonsense about London a few times.

But on the other hand the list of "Basic" precautions listed here and other forums is ridiculous. Some of the best I've heard are:

don't stop at red lights at night
    don't go out at night by yourself (seriously?!?!)
    don't go out at all by yourself (my god?!)
    don't use a phone outside
    don't use a map outside
    check your car for people hiding in it when you get back to it
    don't wear anything of value
    carry a fake bag to give to muggers
    don't take public transport
    lock your car doors while driving
    keep your windows closed at all times

And these are from those reviewers telling you NOT to worry about South Africa.

You guys know that isn't "basic" right? That's not normal for any SAFE city.

Decision made.

• GERTN IS A FOOL.

by SeanL86 Written Feb 22, 2012

gertn is a typical "whenwe", a whenwe being a person who harps back to the good old days of apartheid where south africa was apparently perfect. i would not listen to, or take, his advice as i lived in cape town my whole life up until 4 years ago and i never knew anyone who was affected by violent crime and i certainly wasn't ever a victim of it. cape town is by far the safest city in south africa and despite what many whenwe's would tell you the inner city is becoming one of the safest parts of the city to be in. i've lived in london, manchester and dublin and they all have their quirky and dodgy characters and places that you'd best be advised to stay away from and cape town is no different. use common sense and you will be fine. a lot of the statistics you see based on cape town are unfortunately confined to the townships and ghetto's where there is a lot of drug use and gang violence, but just as you wouldn't be found walking around compton when in L.A you wouldn't be found walking around the likes of athlone and mannenburg either. the townships are great to see and experience but just make sure you are on a guided tour that will not only keep you safe but show you how vibrant the townships are.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• BE WARNED ABOUT CAPE TOWN

by gertn Written Jan 10, 2012

I was mugged and stabbed in my back several times - while leaving work in the middle of the CBD (it was already dark but I was parked where hundreds of cars were earlier. Lucky to only have a punctured lung. That was several years ago - when people heard, I started hearing their stories. Almost everyone personally (directly) knows someone who has been affected by violent crime here. I don't know anyone who has not been a victim of petty crime. And then a few days ago a collegue was stopped by "police" at night when driving home from work. When he realised they were not police he drove on - and was shot at....

There are birds called ostriches here - and there are a lot of people who have a similiar habit of sticking their heads in the ground.

I found Europe to be a totally different story - far far safer.

• Areas to avoid in Cape Town

by Marxx Written Dec 7, 2011

I actually just just joined to be able to respond to a post about how dangerous Cape Town is. It painted a picture of lazers on highways, gun battles, physical attacks, having to break peoples fingers and the need to carry a knife, amongst others.

I don't know what this person was smoking while watching a Schwarzenegger movie, but this is not the Cape Town that I, my family, my friends and work colleagues, and public in general, know. There are some very dangerous places in Cape Town that are not of any interest to tourists, and unfortunately the poor suffer most from this violence in some of these areas of the townships where there is a gang problem. The black townships have a thriving B&B and tourism trade and these places are not just the dens of evil that people think. People of all races are welcomed and tours are safe.

Cape Town certainly has more petty and violent crime than many other major western cities and also less than many cities in Brazil , West Indies etc. All that is needed is some extra common sense. If you want to walk around with an expensive camera around your neck in deserted places, leave your valuables on your car seat while walking around, stagger around drunk in the middle of the night flashing money etc then you will probably find trouble. Just common sense. It does not take a genius to look at surroundings and work out that there might be some questionable characters about. Millions of people have visited CT without incident, and have also never, never experienced the absolute chaos that was discribed in a previous post. I drink a lot of beer and go out a lot, and never to fancy places or even the Waterfront and I have never had a problem.

I overheard a local, of the same school of thought, telling the same horror stories to a newly arrived, middle aged English couple soem time before the world cup. The predictions of violence, crime, chaos, traffic etc just went on and until I had to intervene, and waded in full blast. I chatted to the English couple for a long time and just said that they should just be sensible, use logic and make sure they enjoy themselves.

They now come back regularly and e mail me, still laughing at the idiot with the horror stories...... who now will never mention the world cup because of the success.

• Cape Town

by Africansky Written Nov 30, 2011

I was abosolutely horrified to read the one "warning" on the dangers you face when living in Cape Town. Having lived here for almost 25years I can assure you that I have never had to face machine gunfire, had a lazer aimed at me whilst driving or any of the other horrors that the writer describes and YES, I have had to travel through some of the areas that he/she mentions including the Cape Flats on numerous occassions.

Cape Town, like any other city in the world, is as safe as you make it by using common sense.

Common mistakes made by tourists:
    1. Carrying camera's and other expensive electonic gadgets in your hands where they are clearly visible - pop them in a handbag/backpack to avoid tempation.
    2. Don't wander around with a map looking lost - go into the nearest shop/resturant and ask for assistance.
    3. Don't catch lifts in the minibus taxi's - these are dangerous even for the locals but as a tourist, you are vulnerable. Rather use a metered taxi or, in daylight hours, a bus or the train. The train which runs on the southern line i.e. from Cape Town to Simonstown is relatively safe, well patrolled and used by hundreds of local commuters but like any other country, try and sit in a carriage where there are other people and use the Metroplus option.
    4. Anyone visiting the townships should make use of guided tours and should do so in daylight hours. Where there is poverty, there is opportunism - it's as simple as that.
    5. Don't wear loads of jewelry - if you look at the locals you will have an idea of what you should or shouldn't wear. Again, there is a small criminal element wherever you go and Cape Town is no different.
    6. Popular tourist destinations such as the Waterfront are perfectly safe and well patrolled but don't walk back to your hotels at night unless the hotel is within the Waterfront complex.
    7. Keep your doors locked and your windows up when driving at night and if lost, drive to the nearest petrol station - most petrol attendants in RSA are very efficient in giving directions.

Cape town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world - not only do we have a floral kingdom, one of the 7 natural wonders of the world in Table mountain but we also have a history and the quirky mix of the rainbow nation - popping down to Kalkbay harbour to listen to the fishwives haggle, walking through Kirstenbosch National gardens, sipping wine at a little bistro near the sea, viewing art in the national gallery or even feeding squirrels in the company gardens. It's a city that lives and breathes by day and by night.

Be sensible, follow the example of the locals and try to use common sense but most of all, enjoy this beautiful city.

• Trains

• Stay home after dark unless you do this

by Audris Updated Sep 8, 2011

Do not drive to poor areas after dark. Do not drive or go to Khayelitsha, Langa, Manenberg, Guguletu, Nyanga, Bonteheuwel etc. or CAPE FLATS in general, even during the daytime unless you wish to take a chance. I've been all over the most dangerous places and I took chances which was fine with me, despite injuries, no one has killed me, but you may not be so lucky.

Read this article. You don't wanna lose your bride or pride that way:

Avoid driving an expensive car, period. Always give some change to the freaks who offer to watch or wash your car. Avoid staying out after dark if its not in a crowded touristy area. Even then, be alert.

Things you can't avoid:

While living in Mowbray in a house had machine gun fire hit my house twice within couple weeks time and some kind of car chase, helicopters flying a shooting with machine guns etc. When being shot from a machine gun, drop to the floor and roll or hide behind a sturdy object. Cover your head first.

If you live in Bishopscourt, Constantia or surrounding area you are constantly watched by "invisible" eyes, especially after dark. If you can, carry a gun or a knife to protect yourself and your friends.

Grassy Park seems a Coloured are and is quite safe during the day, but at night you could easily get shot at or robbed.

Watch out when you return home, check behind the bushes and shrubs very carefully before getting out of your car or home. Keep your yard well lit and fenced. Excellent alarms are essential.

Remember that one of the most popular homicides in South Africa is to torture and chop a victim in their own home. Also while driving a car on a highway or expressway don't think you are safe - someone can gun you down from a distance and when you crash (and most likely die) they will throw you out of your car and take your car away.

Kill and ask questions later, or rather kill and then rob is very popular in South Africa.

Stoning of passers by or drivers by is very popular in South Africa in the poor shanty town areas especially. If you are in a car that does not make you any safer. You can be surrounded, stoned or gunned down in now time.

If you can't handle dangerous countries or cities, don't travel to South Africa, but go to a more safe destination. Still, while in RSA most of the time you will be safe. Just be careful after dark. Don't open doors to strangers and be careful what parties you attend. Don't act rich, dress conservatively. Acting and dressing poor sometimes may help.

Most of South Africa is like visiting a favela in Brazil. Nowhere is truly safe, especially after dark. Yet most people survive it since the criminals only need to rob or kill so many (few) every night, and all others are left to live. You are lucky if you make through your trip to South Africa uninjured and unrobbed. Most likely you will be fine if you stay alert and aware.

If you discover a laser gun pointed at you or at your car, quickly snake away or drive away as fast as you can by turning at angles and wiggling your car's behind to prevent the shooters aim at you. If you are cornered, ram the assailants car where the sniper sits.

If attacked physically, don't run, fight back unless the attacker's got a gun and you don't. Hit them between the eyes and break their fingers.

If a person is approaching you in the dark with their hands behind that could be a gun, a knife or a muslim.

If attacked by knife, roll over on the ground, don't run. Find a stone or a brick and aim between the eyes. Try to break the assailant's fingers or poke their eyes out. Throw sand in their face if you can.

All of the above has saved my life in difficult situations. It will save yours too, hopefully.

• Simple Guidelines

by jackfel Written Aug 23, 2011

I come from a small town outside Cape Town. I have gone overseas and know how it feels to be a stranger in another country. Personally I do not recommend visiting any places at night in Cape Town unless it is in a crowded area. But be extra careful of pick pocketing.If you know a local in the area they can give you advice specifically for that area. Do not use any form of public transport at night (especially trains) If you have to use the train, preferably use it during peak times (before 10:00 and between 15:00 to 17:30) when there are many hard working people on the trains. South Africa is a multi-racial country and any tourist can easily blend in depending on where you find yourself in Cape Town. However, try to hide your phone / camera / wallet from any public viewing because this will make you an easy target (for any tourist or South African). Especially look out for people that have worn out / torn / dirty clothes because they are likely to beg for money or ask you the time (where they will try to take your phone if you check the time). If you are willing to give someone money, always keep spare change (coins) in your pocket to prevent you from taking out your wallet where it might get stolen. And on more positive note:...Cape Town is probably the most beautiful city in South Africa and if you have the time, do visit the scenic wine town of Stellenbosch (just 50 km East of Cape Town)

• Wine Tasting
    • Trains

• BE CAREFUL

by CornelRetief Written Aug 12, 2009

I can't believe what I am hearing. No wonder so many tourists get mugged and hi jacked in SA. You should avoid places like the Cape Flats, Mitchells Plain, Guguletu ect at all costs, these places are extremely dangerous!I am definitely NOT a racist, but if you want to be in a dangerous area, go there.

BE CAREFUL AND STAY AWAY!

• Red Bus don't be niave!!!

by pinkmadmoos Written Mar 3, 2009

On the whole I had a lovely time in Cape Town where I was staying with family. However I decided to take the Red Bus City tour of Cape Town, and felt as I would be with a group of other fellow tourists it would be ok. However I did not count on being the only tourist waiting for the bus, which was extremely late, outside the District 6 museum!!! Although the museum was extremely thought provoking, I felt extremely vunerable whilst waiting for the bus as I soon attracted the attention of some local drunks! Before I knew it I was surrounded by 4 guys harrasing me for money, grabbing my wists etc!! Luckily one of the employees from the museum saw and helped me back in where I waited inside for the bus. I urge anyone who does the bust tour, if you are doing it by yourself ask if you can join other fellow tourist when getting off a stops. This incident really did ruin my stay in Cape Town unfourtunately, as I felt so scared and vunerable, a feeling which I am not used to.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Crime and safety

by Airpunk Written Jun 5, 2008

Keep safety in mind, but don't worrry too much!

Crime and safety are among the main issues of people travelling to South Africa. However, there is no reason to be that concerened about it like in Johannesburg, for example. Just follow a couple of rules and you will be able to move safely and comfortable around Cape Town:
    -Ask for and listen to local advice
    -Do not visit the townships and outskirts without any local guide
    -Do not visit areas like the Bo-Kaap or the city center around the train station at night
    -Use public transport only on routes within the city center, to the Waterfront or to Sea Point. If you want to use public transport on other routes, do it only with locals you know.

Waterfront, Long Street and most areas of Sea Point are safe and lively places to go out. Be careful and don’t do anything you would not do in any other big city of this world. Follow this rules, use your common sense and enjoy a safe trip to one of the most interesting places on this planet.

• Areas to avoid

by allykidd Written Apr 3, 2007

I would like to point out that if you plan making a trip to Cape Town make sure you include a trip to the Cape Flats, Mitchells Plein is definitely not the most dangerous place in the world. I worked in South Africa for a year in Transkei, and 3 months in Cape Town. I spent three months working for a child protection organisation and travelled across many different areas of Cape Town. There is definitely a real threat of crime and you should be mindful but not paranoid. I do not speak as a lucky tourist, I was car jacked in Transkei and mugged in Cape Town centre.

If you do plan making a trip to any area that is not entirely geared up for tourists you should seek local peoples advice and maybe visit with someone who knows the area. However be mindful of some local advice as you will find that some Cape Tonians have never ventured to the cape Flats despite living in Cape Town their whole lives and have an unfounded and, I hate to say it, but racial fear of the area. You will find people very helpful from all racial backgrounds. If you are wanting to understand a little bit about south africa then you must visit the Cape Flats or other township areas, otherwise I believe you will be visiting a fantasy world that isn't half as exciting, vibrant or colourful. However if you do want a relaxing, care free holiday which I often do, then the Cape Flats is possibly not the easiest of places to visit.

Last peace of safety advice, if you are worried about where you are or your situation, make friends, and show respect, tallk to the person nearest to you, this is often easier to do in South Africa than other places, and you will find just how hospitable friendly and welcoming 99% of the population are from all backgrounds.

• dln6874's Profile Photo

Don't walk through public parks

by dln6874 Written Dec 22, 2005

Capetown is only slightly safer than the other major cities of South Africa (i.e. Jo'burg & Durban). I walked everywhere alone, even through the deserted downtown on a weekend, but I look back now and feel quite lucky nothing happenned to me. Stick to main roads when walking around, or travel in groups. Avoid taking short cuts through public parks, as some of my fellow travellers got mugged while doing so.

• kevarms's Profile Photo

Dangerous places for a tourist to be ....

by kevarms Written Mar 27, 2004

I hired a car for 2 months in Cape Town and got lost many, many times. I never had any problems but when I told some of the locals about my little side-trips they were horrified.

Not all the dangerous areas are easy to see townships like Khayhelitsa and Guguletu. Somebody else said Mitchell's Plain is a 'shanty town' but it looks like pretty much anywhere else in Cape Town if rather run-down. I drove through here obliviously, and apparently it's one of the most dangerous places in South Africa with very severe gang-related problems.

Other places I was told it wasn't wise to be in:
    Green Point/Sea Point (at night)
    City Centre (at night)
    Atlantis (an industrial city north of CT)

Don't be nervous though. If you are sensible Cape Town is a safe place.If you are driving just remember to keep your car doors locked and when stopping at traffic lights leave a gap between you and the car in front so, if needs be, you can make a quick getaway.

Instant Answers: Cape Town

• Aug 21, 2013 at 1:46 AM

hahahaha, you guys are exhegerating all this.

• Jun 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

guys really? South Africa may not be the safest place on the planet but Cape Town is not as half as dangerous as u making out to be on this forum!!! all the millions of people who live in Cape Town are dumb idiots hey? that's why they don't go out to some of the top restaurants in country and some even the world. Being a bit safe is good but telling people to go out only during the day and that also dress poor? i have seen people wear designer brands in Cape Town and now dressing poor is good for you? and an iPad, are you sure you are from South Africa? hundreds of thousands of people use iPads, iPhone and all the fancy technology in S.A. Don't believe all you read here. Cape Town is great and i am from Pretoria and i am perfectly safe here as well.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Jun 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM

This is not a forum. This is the Cape Town Travel Guide, where people post reviews and tips about their personal experiences in the city. Perhaps you would like to add some tips and reviews about your experiences in Cape Town, to help balance the opinions?

• Apr 3, 2014 at 12:24 AM

seriously republic is the most dangerous and high crime night club to avoid in capetown,i mean i have seen the owner from fighting with female clients or girlss who dont like him to undersessing,ifullyunderstand its a gay pub but not ways ......

• Winterphox's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM

To We5Ad, why in sam's hill would you bring an iPad to South Africa? Imagine you are poor, hungry, and selling one piece of electronic equipment could feed your family for a week, and you saw some idiot tourist flashing their brand new iPad about, are you telling me you wouldn't steal it? There are worse things that could have happened, anywhere in the world, and just because your friend's iPad was stolen does not make South Africa a hell hole. But I mean seriously, what purpose would an iPad serve? I fail to see it's use in our culture, let alone their's. And I feel like it's worth mentioning that I live in a smaller city in Canada, where there have been huge dangerous riots complete with cop cars ablaze and propane tanks being thrown into a huge fire, street fights against racist neo-nazis, murders, robbings and stabbings happen everyday. And this is in the apparently safe province of Ontario. We have a higher murder rate per capita than Toronto, the biggest major city near us. I have lived here for 20 years, however, and I'm still alive somehow.

• PaulS170's Profile Photo
      Jan 29, 2014 at 5:34 AM

"why in sam's hill would you bring an iPad to South Africa",

I honestly find that statement to be offensive, you make it sound as if South Africa is some backwater jungle where something like an iPad would be completely useless.