Oudtshoorn Off The Beaten Path

KOBUS SE GAT!!
    by JimmyPage
    Traditional Bread made on the fire!
    Mandela Oven

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Oudtshoorn

• JimmyPage's Profile Photo

Swartberg Experience!!

by JimmyPage Written Jun 20, 2014
    KOBUS SE GAT!!

On a recent trip to Oudtshoorn, I decided to make a trip to the Swartberg Pass. I've heard so many great things about this mountain, I decided to go and have a look myself at this national monument. I've also heard that it is one of the most beautiful passes in the WORLD!!!

On my drive there, just before going up the mountain, I spotted a very nice veld restaurant on the left. Kobus se Gat. I saw buses standing outside, so decided to stop for a quick drink.
    Kobus (the owner) gave me a warm welcome and July (one of the village ladies) immediately offer me something to drink and to eat. They were busy giving a group of tourist a lunch which included a trip up the Swartberg pass. If I knew this, I would've made a booking myself. This is a traditional veld restaurant where you can experience an truly amazing South African braai experience with a great fire place inside to keep warm in the winter. There is something to suit every pocket, young and old. Prices are relatively cheap.
    Unfortunately this restaurant is only open on pre bookings and I was only lucky to find someone there that day.

After an hour of laughing, eating and a drink down my throat, Kobus offered me a trip with the rest of the tour up the Swartberg Pass.
    This is an experience I will never forget!

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Cycling

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

Mr Bubu wearing a Figo's shirt.

by MarioPortugal Updated Aug 19, 2010
    Figo's shirt.

While in Oudtshoorn I got to meet Mr Bubu, who is originally from Pretoria and on that day he was wearing Figo's shirt of the Portuguese National Team shirt.
    Being portuguese myself, I felt the urge to invite Mr Bubu for a beer and picture taken.
    > Mário Ferreira in Oudtshoorn (April-2010)
    -----

Luis Figo on wikipedia:

Luís Filipe Madeira Caeiro Figo, (born 4 November 1972) is a former Portuguese football player. He played as a midfielder for Sporting CP, Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Internazionale, during a career which spanned over 20 years. He retired from football on 31 May 2009. He won 127 caps for the Portuguese national football team, a number that makes him the most capped player for Portugal.

Figo was the 2000 European Footballer of the Year, the 2001 FIFA World Player of the Year, and was named amongst the FIFA 100.

Figo is one of the few football players to have played for both the Spanish rival clubs Barcelona and Real Madrid. He had a successful career highlighted by several trophy wins, such as one Portuguese Cup, four La Liga titles, two Spanish Cups, three Spanish Super Cups, one UEFA Champions League title, one UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, two UEFA Super Cups, one UEFA-CONMEBOL Intercontinental Cup, four Serie A titles, one TIM Italian Cup and three Italian Super Cups. [...]

url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lu%ADs_Figo

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

More ostriches!

by Jenniflower Written May 28, 2007

If you'd like to see ostriches and arent keen to drive all the way to Outdshoorn from Cape Town, go to Cape Point.

It is about 45 minutes from Cape Town Centre... and can be reached by following the road from the Kommetjie or Simons' Town sides.

Here they have a few male and female ostriches walking around the national park.

They are generally found near the waters edge.

The male has beautiful feathers, a dark black against stark white, and stands tall and proud... the prettier of the two (as things always are in the animal kingdom), and the female is smaller, with greyish brown feathers.

• Birdwatching
    • Eco-Tourism

• Alain_Smeets's Profile Photo

Take a tour: ride an ostrich or watch an race

by Alain_Smeets Written Aug 31, 2003

ostrich race, Oudtshoorn (photo Thieu)

In Highgate and I guess also in the other ostrich farms, you can sit on an ostrich but you can also ride this big bird. I didn’t try to ride one, I just sat on one. Why? Well I even don’t like horses that much so why an ostrich. But it can be great fun I guess.

Instead we watched an ostrich race, we had to pick our favourite to win and sheer him on, but when only 10 or 15 people are standing there, the sheering is at a minimum and my favourite turned around in the middle of the race. He can be the next steak on my plate –lol- and it made me also happy not to ride that big bird.

The race is the end of the excellent guided tour.

• Bert_Pearson's Profile Photo

Cango Caves

by Bert_Pearson Written Feb 25, 2003

Entrance to the cave

Not far from the Ostrich farm we can fill our eys with splendors: The Cango Caves.

The Cango Caves, one of the world's great natural wonders, provide a magical journey through massive caverns and fascinating limes stone formations.

It took Nature millions of years to sculpt those magnificent grottos.

The Cango caves are a series of 80 caverns that extend over thre km and two miles underground. The caves are regarded as one of South Africa's foremost natural wonders with their impressive display of stalactites and stalagmites.

In 1780, a Ductch farmer, named
    Van Zyl, was the first to enter the magnificent chamber , that was named after him, at the entrance of Caves.

The Cango Caves were discovered in thee phases. Only one section, Cango 1 is accessible to the public. Cango 3 has the longest cave which is equal in length to 3 football fields.

I some other caves they discovered the skull of a woman (Mrs Ples), estimated to be about 1.5 millions years old.

Bushman paintings dating back 10 000 years have been discovered on the walls.

Implements and tools from the Middle and Late Stone Age, and the earlier Iron Age were also discovered.

At the entrance there is a scene depicting the early Bushmen inhabitants of this cave system. This little "San" people named this area "Kango " meaning : the water mountains. We can see their primitive way of life.

The Bushmen never did go further cause they believe it was the home of the Spirits.

I could not go further because I suffer from claustrophobia... I could not push myself crawling for more than 30 feet long in a very tiny tunnel
    just big enough for a person... imagine 20 people crawling one after the other.... In the middle I would have panic. I contented myself to sit and admire that great Nature work of Art.

Instant Answers: Oudtshoorn

Comments

Oudtshoorn Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Oudtshoorn off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oudtshoorn sightseeing.