Oudtshoorn Restaurants

by MarioPortugal
  • Restaurants
    by MarioPortugal
  • The Colony Restaurant at the Queens Hotel
    The Colony Restaurant at the Queens...
    by mikelisaanna

Most Recent Restaurants in Oudtshoorn

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

The Colony Restaurant at the Queens Hotel: A very good hotel restaurant

by mikelisaanna Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Colony Restaurant at the Queens Hotel

The Colony Restaurant is located in Oudtshoorn's historic Queens Hotel. It's a little more expensive than some of the other restaurants in town, but was worth it in our opinion. We had some very good dinners there, as well as some good South African wines. The house specialty is ostrich, which makes sense given that Oudtshoorn is the Ostrich Capital of the World. There is also a bar attached to the restaurant, which had nice comfortable chairs and sofas on which we relaxed after dinner.

• Business Travel

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

Bronco's Steak Ranch: Ostrich Steak

by MarioPortugal Updated Aug 19, 2010

In April/2010 I drove to Oudtshoorn for the sole purpose of trying an Ostrich steak for lunch. My ride to Oudtshoorn was fro over one hour and once I got in town, parked the parked and search for a casual restaurant that was serving Ostrich. It was Sunday, several restaurants were open but my choice was for Bronco's Steak Ranch. The name was quite appealing, the location was very good and all else looked nice from the outside. The staff's welcome turn out to be good as well, who immediately drove me to a table on the outside patio.

Started then exploring the menu. Chicken, Mexican food, grilled beef steaks, Seafood and Pasta, all that was available to be chosen but my sole interest was for Ostrich meat and found it listed in the "African Specialities". Great. The category itself is also quite suggesting: African Specialities !!

Ostrich burger was listed for R55 -and- a 200g Ostrich (steak) for R99.

I ordered the Ostrich steak (pictured on this Tip) for, additionally to the fact that my mind that was already set for it, in the menu I could also read that it was "Grilled to perfection with our Bronco's basting sauce". Great. That sounds quite promising as well.

Also on the menu (all the following was in capitals): OSTRICH: GO WILD! EXPERIENCE AFRICA BY TASTING THE BIGGEST BIRD IN THE WORLD.

I only got a slightly disappointed when I found out that the ostrich steak was not as big as what I was expecting. This was also my very first time that I was enjoying ostrich steak. I like it very much but confess I wondered whether if cooked medium rare it would taste even better. Overall, I was positively happy with the gastronomic experience but feel ostrich could be even better than the taste I have experienced on this very first try.

- Mário Ferreira in Oudtshoorn, Western Cape, South Africa (2010).

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Pieter Celia's: Pieter Celia's

by mvtouring Written Apr 15, 2010

Early 20th century sandstone mill,lovingly and appositely restored to a bygone splendor,with its sunny wrap around veranda is nowadays this little restaurant. The concept here is that you dish what you want, they then weigh your plate and you pay according to the weight. I found them a bit on the expensive side, but the food was good and very tasty.

Favorite Dish: Pumpkin fritters

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

Jemima's: Great food from local produce

by johnaalex Updated Mar 28, 2010

The sign of great food!

The original house has been converted to a very charming restaurant with seating indoors, in the front garden and a terrace overlooking the back garden.

The emphasis is on fine food from local produce, well prepared and presented. The staff are friendly and efficient and knowledable about the food, its origin, the way it has been prepared etc.

This is one of my favourite restaurants, it is such a pity it is in such a remote town.

Favorite Dish: The duck liver pate is sublime.

Pasta dishes are excellent.

They do a great Bobotie for lunch.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Cango Caves Restaurant: Catering for all tastes

by Jenniflower Updated Feb 11, 2008

This is a typical restaurant ina tourist area... they cater for all tastes... but also have typically South African dishes... like crocodile, ostrich etc.

The restaurant is clean and modern, the view gorgeous, over the mountains!

The service was slow but friendly.

The food was fine, we had a snack for lunch, two toasted sandwiches, with side salads and crinkly hot chips. The day was really hot, so we just had a coke.

Costs are definately higher than other, non-tourist places, but not too bad.

I have put the photo of my husband first as I really like it ;)... the second photo is of the food!

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo

Colony at Queens: Great Food but a bit formal

by pmarshuk Updated Sep 1, 2004

This is a very smart restaurant in the Queens Hotel. The food here was excellent, but by SA standards quite pricey. However the atmosphere in the restaurant seemed very formal, but you do get great service.
    As usual in South Africa the menu is very meat oriented.

Favorite Dish: In Oudtshoorn what else but ostrich steak.

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

De Oude Meul: De Oude Meul

by myriam_c Updated Jul 19, 2004
    Dinner at De Oude Meul

"De Oude Meul Country Estate and Game Farm" is in fact a hotel with a restaurant also open to non-residents.
    Food was OK but nothing special.
    We just went here because it was across from our guesthouse.

Favorite Dish: He: butternut soup, kudu steak with garlic sauce
    Me: chicken breast with mushroom sauce
    Drinks: half bottle of wine and coffee
    Price: 128 ZAR.

• Kurtdhis's Profile Photo

Ostrich Omelette: Ostrich Omelette

by Kurtdhis Written Jun 29, 2003

There are several ostrich show farms which still sell the beautiful downy feathers but now make more money out of the desirable soft strong knobbly leather. There is also an export demand for the eggs, one of which makes an omelette for 20 people. At the show farms you can ride the birds in an ungainly and embarrassing manner or eat them in the restaurant. The meat is deliciously tender and contains no cholesterol.

Instant Answers: Oudtshoorn

Comments

Oudtshoorn Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Oudtshoorn restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oudtshoorn sightseeing.