Fun things to do in South Africa

by mallyak

Most Viewed Things to Do in South Africa

Bourke's Luck Potholes

by Skibbe Written Jun 7, 2014

These potholes were formed over millions of years and mark the beginning of the Blyde River Canyon. They were named for a miner who thought there was gold there. It is fun to explore and the visitor center has a lot of good info on the geography and ecology of the area.

Pilgrim's Rest

by Skibbe Written Jun 7, 2014

This was a gold rush town in the Mpumalanga province near Graskop, starting in 1873. Mining shut down and the town became a national monument. It has been restored with a famous hotel (The Royal Hotel) but I found it hard to explore with little guidance and lots of aggressive touts. Still, if you're in the area, it is worth a quick stop. I understand you can pan for gold here but did not look into it while I was there.

God's Window

by Skibbe Written Jun 4, 2014

This is a nice viewpoint along the Panorama Route in northeastern South Africa. When I was there, a heavy haze affected the view and though I waited it out it never cleared much. There was also a rainforest area, reached after a pretty good climb.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

Three Pools Hike

by Skibbe Written May 30, 2014

This is a short hike I was told about at my B&B, The Old Hatchery, near Underberg. The trail just follows 4 X 4 tracks to the stream. I had the trail to myself and it was the perfect way to get out and enjoy the mountains. Hike farther and you can see Bushman's Rock but I didn't have time to go that far.

You get your hiking pass at the leasing office of Lake Naverone for a small fee (I think it was around $3).

• Hiking and Walking

Phezulu Safari Park

by Skibbe Written May 22, 2014

This is about 20 miles from Durban and, while certainly touristy, gives a little taste of Zulu culture for those of us who have been little exposed to it. They offer a half hour dance show in a Zulu village as well as a decent crocodile and snake park. It also has very nice views of the Valley of 1000 Hills. They also have a really good gift shop and a nice restaurant where you can enjoy those views.

Franschhoek Pass

by Skibbe Written May 21, 2014

I had read about this but really stumbled on to it while I was in the Winelands. The views are just incredible with plenty of opportunities to pull over and take pictures. You have to dodge the baboons a bit and there were long waits for construction when I was there but it was well worth it.

La Motte Winery

by Skibbe Updated May 21, 2014

I just had the chance to go to one winery during my visit to the Winelands. This was recommended and the location was right so I went to it. The estate was beautiful, the wines in the tasting were really good and generously served (though they are not available in the U.S.), and they give an informative 30 minute tour.

• Wine Tasting

Cape Point

by Skibbe Written May 20, 2014

This is at a the tip of the Cape Peninsula, a mile or so from the Cape of Good Hope. It offers more than the latter, including its famous lighthouse, a good restaurant, a gift store, and a cable car ride up. And the views are amazing. Baboons apparently hang out in the parking lot but I saw none when I was there. It is part of the Table Mountain National Park.

Groot Constantia

by Skibbe Written May 19, 2014

Just outside Cape Town, this winery started more than 300 years ago. It is in a beautiful spot and I loved the Cape Dutch architecture. They have a tasting room and also a good restaurant.

The Hop-On, Hop-Off bus has a special line for this and two other wineries near Cape Town.

• Wine Tasting
    • Architecture

Table Mountain

by Skibbe Written May 15, 2014

No first visit to Cape Town is complete without a trip to Table Mountain. I made two in one day. I headed there early in the morning although it was very misty with the "Table Cloth" covering the plateau. But the weather forecast was not promising so I went anyway. I actually the eerie feeling of it up there as I hiked the length of the plateau with the place almost to myself but missed the views. I left around noon and then noticed a few hours later that the day had turned out to be gorgeous. So I made my way back and was even allowed to go up in the cable car for free after I explained that I had been there that morning. And the views were spectacular. I was glad I got to see this great site both ways.

The attached photos are from the morning walk. The pics from the afternoon are in my travelogue.

V&A Waterfront

by Skibbe Written May 14, 2014

This is a beautiful area with a big shopping mall and many other shops and restaurants. It is a perfect spot to grab a bite or a drink while people watching in a picture perfect setting. It is also the starting place for a lot of tours and the home of Nobel Square, where South Africa's fourth Nobel Peace Prize winners (Luthuli, Tutu, DeKlerk and Mandela) are commemorated.

District Six Museum, Cape Town

by Skibbe Written May 14, 2014

This is a small museum that is quietly very moving. It remembers a section of Cape Town that was declared a white area in 1966, forcing the relocation of 60,000 people. In addition to providing details about this crime, the museum shows life as it was in the community. Probably the saddest place I visited on this trip.

Robben Island

by Skibbe Written May 14, 2014

Having read Nelson Mandela's autobiography "Long Walk to Freedom", visiting Robben Island was a priority for me on this trip. After the ferry ride from the Cape Town waterfront, we were taken around the island on a bus. We were shown the limestone quarry where Mandela and other prisoners worked and given a good feel for the isolation of the prison. When we arrived at the prison, a former inmate gave us a tour and told stories of his time there. They do show you Mandela's cell, which everyone is sure to get a picture of. Its a very worthwhile experience for learning about and reflecting on Mandela and others who suffered for this cause.

Limestone Quarry Mandela's Cell Former inmate guide Dock for ferry

Apartheid Museum

by Skibbe Written May 13, 2014

This was my only stop in Johannesburg but I viewed it as a "can't miss." It goes through the history of Apartheid and really gets across how many people sacrificed to end this terrible system. The segregated entrance (randomly assigned) gives a little of the feeling of Apartheid. It is an informative museum that I thought hit just the right note.

• luciaguimaraes's Profile Photo

Safari at Kruger park

by luciaguimaraes Written Apr 2, 2014

The Big Five, as they call are on Kapama, but so too are over 40 other mammal species and 350 different types of birds. Game drives and bush walks offer fascinating encounters with wildlife, but Kapama also offers guests unique African wildlife experiences. They offer two safaris per day, each one is different from the other. It´s very exciting.

our first contact when we arrived a nice surprise during the safari was the monkey waiting for us? just hunt indescribable !!!
    • Safari

3 Reviews - 8 Photos
George Hotels
67 Reviews - 136 Photos

Instant Answers: South Africa

Comments

South Africa Things to Do

Reviews and photos of South Africa things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for South Africa sightseeing.
Map of South Africa