Suakin Island Warnings and Dangers

by maykal
    by maykal

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Suakin Island

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Don't buy lumps of coral, and beware the heat

by uglyscot Updated Jul 9, 2012

out in the mid-day sun

When we were in Suakin we were pestered by children and some men trying to sell us lumps of the coral limestone from which the buildings had been made. Some of the coral is tempting as there are different varieties - brain coral, feathery plant-like pieces and others.
    However, this is a historic site even if allowed to fall into complete rubble.

Also beware, that even on an overcast day, you can become quite badly sunburned walking in Suakin where there is no shade and being close to the sea.

• Seniors

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Weather warning.

by uglyscot Updated Mar 30, 2008

Port Sudan is best visited in the winter when the temperature is pleasant. My first visit was towards the end of June, and I felt that Shakespeare must have been there at some time. Walking to register at the Police HQ, I felt the description of Falstaff in Henry VI Pt I was so true. I truly 'larded the lean earth' as I walked along.
    In March it is still quite pleasant, but beware of the sun. When at Suakin, although it was not unbearably hot, I returned to the hotel looking like a lobster.
    So, sunscreen.

• Beaches

• maykal's Profile Photo

Documents...

by maykal Written May 19, 2003

Without permits, this is all you'll see

Even though the coast is safe and more relaxed than many parts of Sudan, don't forget to bring all your travel documents with you wherever you go. To walk around in Suakin, we needed to show photocopies of our passports, travel permits, and a letter from our employers in Sudan. I don't know why, but I always get the feeling that the police just like to cause problems for us khawajas, stopping us from really enjoying their country...tourists come to relax and sightsee...thry don't want to spend hours on end in stuffy offices having their documents scrutinized. Sudan could be a great place for tourism if only they made it a bit easier with regards to documents.

Instant Answers: Suakin Island

Comments

Suakin Island Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Suakin Island warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Suakin Island sightseeing.

View all Suakin Island hotels