Meroe Tourist Traps

How'd he get his thumb over my lense????
    by flynboxes
    My limo driver taking a break
  • Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Meroe

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Camel ride

by flynboxes Written Sep 18, 2010

Taking a camel ride in Meroe.

Unique Suggestions: The camel owners will offer you a cheap price up front to get your business and beat out the the competition (the other 3-4 camel touts). Go out there with what you want to spend and nothing more since that cheap price you negotiated at the start of the ride will go up at the end or they will try and charge you for a photo. I understand they need the $$$ more than I do etc, etc..but I still also don't like be screwed over for money either. I don't expect charity from my customers at home and neither should anyone else.

Fun Alternatives: Take extra water and walk or be stubborn and firm. When you negotiate the price be firm and have your driver or if you are lcuky enough to speak arabic let them know that it's all you have to pay..nothing more.

How'd he get his thumb over my lense???? My limo driver taking a break
    • Archeology

• No video permit, No need to buy ticket in advance

by luvbig Updated Aug 8, 2007

According to Below line I worried to pay Viedo permit fee.
    But when I got to there Meroe nobody asked me to pat the fee.
    I think she had been cheated by guides.

No more you don't need to go to Sudan national museum to buy travel permits including Meroe.
    You can pay it in front of the gate.
    This is updated information. (July 2007)

• grets's Profile Photo

Video permit

by grets Written Nov 24, 2004

In order to use a video camera within the archaeological site, a permit is required. This permit can be obtained from the office by the entrance at a cost of US$50!

Unique Suggestions: Make sure you receive a receipt, as there has been known to be some corruption going on here!

• Desert

• grets's Profile Photo

Guide

by grets Written Nov 24, 2004

At the netrance to the site, you are asked if you requite a guide to show you around. We declined, as we had been warned that the guide does not speak much Englsih and all he does is point out each pyramid to you - information that you can easily find out yourself from the signs!

• Desert

Instant Answers: Meroe

Comments

Meroe Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Meroe tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Meroe sightseeing.