Khartoum Restaurants

by awladhassan

Most Recent Restaurants in Khartoum

Spectra: Restaurant and Cafe

by uglyscot Written Jan 4, 2014

There are so many new restaurants and cafes opening in Khartoum, often run by Egyptians and Lebanese. I know the name Spectra from living in Cairo, so thought it might be worth a visit.
    The restaurant upstairs is pleasant with wooden ceilings and walls hung with posters. There are tables for 4 or banquettes. We chose a banquette and asked for a wooden chair to fix on our car seat for the baby as they do not have high-chairs.
    There is also a garden extension ,
    The service was good and the food was enjoyable. The meat portion was not large by other restaurant standards, but the mashed potato and gravy [ and an individual gravy boat] , and the mountain of vegetables [courgettes, carrots and green beans] more than made up for it. In fact I had to take a large portion home.
    We had soup as well - creamy chicken and mushroom.A bit salty for my taste but good nonetheless.

Favorite Dish: The grilled chicken with a mountain of mashed potatoes and gravy, and sauteed vegetables.
    We were charged 100SDG for two bowls of soup and two plates of main course, and a bottle of water.

Tangerine: High stile Good food

by Joka&Bucks Written Jan 2, 2013

We went to this restaurant for lunch on January 1st, immediately from the outside you can see that is special place... The the small parking place is full of suv's and other expensive's cars. You can sit inside or outside we choose the first, we sat in a big room with nice tables and pink chairs, we ate a little starter, hummus and cream of egg-plant, good, as main course, we had a steak sandwich, organic salad and the plate of the day that was chicken curry, everthing was delicious well served. All food is served in big plates so it might let you think the food is not enough but for me was OK. I think we spent the right, around 120 SDG.

Favorite Dish: Chicken curry

Alex: Upmarket Egyptian

by uglyscot Updated Dec 30, 2012
    grilled chicken breasts with mushroom sauce

This Egyptian run restaurant is classier than the others I've eaten in in Khartoum. The restaurant is upstairs and the decor is very nice- dark wood, ornaments in alcoves, tables wood with banquettes or chairs. The walls are long slivers of unpolished marble.
    The menu is good , but service was a bit slow as everything seemed to be freshly cooked.
    The staff were polite and obliging- bringing husband a second cup of Turkish coffee as the one he was first given had sugar added.
    The food was excellent though the meat portions were not as large as elsewhere.

My only complaint was the brownies with ice cream which had a strong flavour of 'mistic'- fragrant gum, but others might like it.
    We paid 234 SDG for 7 people, this included 7 main courses, 2 brownies with ice cream , 2 Turkish coffees and 7 juices , plus 4 small bottles of water, inclusive of 15% tax

Favorite Dish: I had grilled chicken breasts with mushroom sauce and saute vegetables and rice.Three of us had beef or chicken frajitas which were very tasty.
    Husband had grilled fish fillet with saute vegetables and mashed potato.
    There was a good variety of soft drinks. Our table had lemon juice, kiwi juice, apple juice, fruit tangle [ a mixture of different fruits]. I had a Lifesaver- pineapple, orange and pomegranate which was absolutely delicious.
    Everything was so good, that I'd definitely recommend it, and go there again

Barista: Italian coffee

by uglyscot Updated Dec 30, 2012

Barista

This Italian -style coffee shop and restaurant has a pleasant rust and dark chocolate decor. Unfortunately the sofas are covered in plastic which makes clothes wet when sitting for a long time. There is no pressure from the staff to make you move however , even after a couple of hours!
    The AC was not cool enough on the day we went, but the large screen Tvs allow football fans to watch in comfort.
    Outside there is a terrace and garden.

Favorite Dish: I didn't eat, but enjoyed a glass of mango juice, I believe the cheesecake and the Black Forest Gateau are very good.
    A meat dish costs between £s 23-25
    Cake £ 23-25

13% tax included

Topkapi: Turkish??? Topkapi!!!!

by Joka&Bucks Updated Dec 19, 2012

Nice place, you can choose to sit in or outside in a green garden where few tables has mini gazebo... That time we sat inside, where was nice and clean, waitress gave us their own bread, soft and warm that was perfect with starters.... A big plate divide in three section, hummus and egg plant made in two different ways, delicious. After that they served the main course and we ate grilled chicken, mexican steak, grill mix and salad. All disches are served with a tiny bread that if you want you can make a wrap by yourself... Meat was a bit spicy and well done, it was perfect for me. Portions are big. The avarange price for each disch is around 35 SDG, too much expensive for locals OK for expats. I saw on menu you can have also pizza but on pizza I will write something the next time. For sure I will reccomnd this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Mexican steak
    Chicken grill

Ozone: Hang Out

by Joka&Bucks Written Nov 20, 2012

As I said in the title ''Hang Out'' nice place to spend time drinking coffee, tea with a slice of cake or a fresh juice mean wile your kids are playing on the playground...
    Many kind of cakes and a lot variety of pastry all good.
    You can see all kind of people, from families to business men, from ederly people to young people... Nice place to spend time.

Favorite Dish: Carrot cake
    Chocolate cake

Universal Caffe': Great Italian Restaurant

by Joka&Bucks Written Nov 20, 2012

Nice place, nice garden, the owner and his daughter are really friendly.
    About the food.... Good, I choose this place because they are famous for Italian - european dishes and I can say they did a good job.
    We ate pizza, pasta, salad, meat and vegetables, everything was good.
    A bit expensive place but the food worths the money paid.
    For sure I raccomand this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Grilled fillet with rosted potatos;
    Tortellini with special sauce;
    bruschette;
    cesar salad;
    Pizza margherita
    Well cooked and well done.

• Seniors

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Coffee and more: coffee , cakes and snacks

by uglyscot Updated Apr 11, 2012

Coffee and more

The outside is just a sign indicating that the cafe is upstairs. Then you enter a long restaurant with tables, ottoman like seats and a display counter. The service is good and the drinks are acceptable. The cake is a huge slice that easily feeds two..
    There is wifi and a small corner where there are some books.

Beverages are about 20 SDG. Soft drinks 12 SDG. Fizzy drinks 6SDG
    Slices of cake 13SDG
    Snacks about 25 SDG
    Main course about 35 SDG

There were not a lot of customers, but it was very pleasant

Favorite Dish: The chocolate fudge cake was yummy.
    The tiramisu slice was to die for.
    The enormous Belgian waffle couldn't defeat my grand-daughter, but where she put it all, I don't know.

On our second visit we had snacks.
    I had roast beef in chabiatta bread. My daughter had a huge Caesar salad which she couldn;t finish, and my friend had a large bagel with lots of smoked salmon. She took half of it home.

• Women's Travel

• Papa Costa's: Papa Costa's on Thursday night - THE place to be!

by umasalam Written May 27, 2011

OK - it is true that the service at Papa Costa's is well, say, unhurried. But you really won't mind that if you go on Thursday night when the Blue Stars band is providing the live music from about 9 until midnight. What a treat!!! Absolutely the best place to go in Khartoum on a Thursday night if you are into music. Blue Stars are a Sudanese band with occasional expats joining the fun on sax or drums. The music is eclectic to say the least - last night ranged from the classic Swahili "Malaika" to Congolese dance music to Elvis and Chubby Checkers (yes!). The band is great, the singer is great and a good time is had by all in the very nice outdoor courtyard at Papa Costa's. And it is OK to dance!

There are also indoor rooms for dining and for exhibition of visual art by local artists. And a very nice selection of locally made jewelry for sale, as well. In short, Papa's is a pretty cool place.

The menu ranges from pizza and pasta to kebab, fish, veal and such. There are also a variety of fresh fruit juices. And this may be the only place to get an iced latte milkshake or a smoothie in Khartoum right now since Ozone is undergoing renovation.

I really hesitate to even write this because I don't want to take a chance that there wont be an open table next Thursday... but really, folks, you should not miss this.

Favorite Dish: I have only tried the pasta and the pizza so far.. The spicy pizza was excellent - reminded me of my old fav - zigni pizza in Asmara. Juices are fresh and good and you can have them without sugar, which is a relief

• Music

• Hamada Fried Chicken: surprisingly good

by umasalam Updated May 13, 2011

Hamada Fried Chicken, located on Siteen Street near Omak in Manshia, looks from the outside like most any fast food fried chicken places in Cairo or even Baltimore. But it is more. It is a clean and pleasant place to grab lunch or to get dinner to go and it has a good variety of menu items.
    Of course, there is the standard fried chicken " box" whith pieces of fried chicken, a roll, and some cole slaw. But there is also a great chicken wrap which you can get as spicy as you want. It is the " Zinger"

There are salads, rice bowls, and also freshly made tamaaya (falafel). The managment and staff are friendly and helpful.

All in all a nice place for a quick bite - i work nearby and we send someone to get the Zingers to take away. Also good for packed lunches if you are going on a road trip.

Favorite Dish: The Zinger chicken wrap, for sure!

• awladhassan's Profile Photo

YoghurBerry: Healthy eating

by awladhassan Written Jan 10, 2011

This outlet serves frozen fruit yoghurt with fresh fruit and nut toppings.The frozen yoghurt contains 1/3 dairy fat compared to normal ice cream and uses only fruit sugar.price from 8-17 SDG
    Also on the menu are smoothies , hot and iced coffee 5-8 SDG, and hot or iced herbal teas @ 3-7 SDG.
    In addition there are a variety of sandwiches:
    Beef Chinese @ 4SDg or 8SDG
    Double Cheese Burger 8SDG
    Chicken Burger 7 SDG
    French Fries 4 SDG Big
    3 SDG small

Favorite Dish: Frozen yoghurt without topping, It is creamy yet healthy, especially for a diabetic..

• Seniors

coffee shop: Don't Mind the overflying aircraft

by uglyscot Updated Jan 1, 2011

Rotana Salama Hotel

The coffee shop at the Rotana Hotel was a pleasant place for a ladies' get together. It was cool and nice and the service was good. The view from the window was over gardens, but aircraft on approach to the airport every so often was a bit off-putting as they were very low.
    We had cappucino with a very mouthmelting chocolate cookie. Then we ordered a hot and a cold mezze between us. Luckily none of us was peckish as the portions were small. I thought the tabbouleh could have had more tomatoes and the parsley could have been chopped finer, and there was no bulgar wheat added. But otherwise the mezze was good.

I have also attended a dinner at the AL Nuba restaurant. The decor is nice, the tables and settings very nice The drinks service was good,but otherwise it was self-service buffet. This changes every day,
    Rotana AlsSalam ‘s Al Nuba Restaurant has a different menu every day.
    Sunday 19.00 -23.00 is Arabian and Sudanese.
    Monday 19.00-23.00 is Italian cuisine
    Tuesday 19.00-23.00 is Mexican
    Wednesday 19.00-23.00 is Seafood night
    Thursday 19.00-23.00 is Far East dishes. These are delicious.
    Friday 12.00-17.00 is Family Brunch with International and Arab delicacies
    Saturday 19.00-23.00 is International Night with an array of cuisine from around the world.

!5% VAT and 5% service charge are additional.

Favorite Dish: the samousa with meat filling was really juicy, and the kibbeh was good too.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Enzo's: Give it a Miss at holiday times.

by uglyscot Updated Jan 1, 2011

We decided to try this new Italian Restaurant. There were a lot of cars parked outside, including UN one, which looked a good sign.
    The decor was a bit dark for my liking - dark brown and dark green. We were welcome in a friendly way and shown to a table. There was no special smoking/non smoking sections which was a minus point.
    Then we sat for 40 minutes waiting to be served. More folk arrived, but the waiter seemed to be unable to multitask. He'd take an order and disappear till it was ready, and serve it. Then would go to another table and repeat the process. Then go and get the bill for the first table, and sort that out.
    The children were tired and hungry, as were we all. Eventually he came and we gave him our order. It seemed that everything we ordered was off, so opted for two family size pizzas, quoted at 30 SP. He said no, that price was wrong it should be 40Sp. My daughter demanded to speak to the manager, but even after another 15 minutes, neither the waiter nor manager appeared.
    One daughter then went and ordered two takeaways at the counter, and the rest of us drove home. By the time the other went to collect her sister the pizzas were ready. They were acceptable, and perhaps we'd have enjoyed them if we'd been in a better mood.
    There was no way we would have paid 15% service charge and 2% tax on top of the basic price for that kind of service.
    If we had known they were understaffed and couldn't cope with the demand, we would have gone elsewhere from the beginning. I doubt this place will stay open long unless it gets its act together.

Favorite Dish: As all we managed to get was margherita pizza which had a thin crust base, an acceptable sauce and cheese topping with some herbs sprinkled over it, that was all we saw . It was Ok, but I wouldn't eat there again because of the poor service.

Since then my daughter has been back many times and says it is nice. Three waiters were serving, and she said the food was very good.

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo

Rotana Salam Hotel: Al Nuba Restaurant

by yurxlnc Updated Dec 31, 2010
    main course selection

I was invited to dinner at The Nubian Restaurant at the Rotana Salam Hotel. It was a Thursday which meant the food was from the Far eastern menu.
    The restaurant itself was spacious and modern. Shortly after we sat down, a bottle of water was brought to the table, and then the waiter offered to chose a beverage from a selection of fruit drinks or cans of soft drinks.
    We went to the buffet bar and filled our plates from the wide selection of salads , and there was a tempura stand too .Items selected:
    Prawn crackers
    Baba ganoug hummous taboulah sweet carrot salad green bean ssalad, chaicken salad prawn salad egg noodles salad broccoli and squid salad. There were also different dressings available : yoghurt and dill Caesar dressing cocktail dressing.

After satisfying ourselves with a feast of colour and taste, we then moved on to select from the main dishes;
    jasmine rice, steamed rice or vegetable rice
    Chicken cashew , chicken satay, veal piccata, chow mien, fried hammour, Indian-style cauliflower and more.
    I couldn’t fault anything.

We then retired to a lounge for coffee which cost 10 SDG .

• Universal Coffee: don't miss the ice cream , capuccino, coffee

by AngelaCanon Written Sep 26, 2010

friendly Italian restaurant with great pizza and pasta : The ice cream is really good . Only there did I have the true Italian cappuccino and coffee.
    The place is a small clean villa with lovely trees and yellow umbrellas, The service is good and fast

Favorite Dish: Vegetable pizza, because in it I have the pizza with all the available vegetables in the market, (eggplant zucchini, belly peppers onions and if I want I can have mushrooms added) it is delicious I also had a wonderful vanilla and chocolate ice cream

Instant Answers: Khartoum

Comments

Khartoum Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Khartoum restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Khartoum sightseeing.