Banda Kuu Things to Do

• Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Banda Kuu

The school

the geography room

Nungwi school is made up of three long buildings painted in white and light blue, with no windows and often no desks and chairs - except for the geography room, the entire school seems very basic. There are classes in two sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon - kids need to attend one of the two. They all wear a neat uniform (inclusive of a hijab for girls, not compulsory) and... are just like all kids in the world. after school they all rush to the shop to buy some sweets.
    I went looking for the English teacher, to have a chat about school programs... and the syllabus. Imagine my surprise to find out how similar programs and teaching strategies are. When he said he used a lot of flashcards, my jaw dropped... Somehow I had conjured up images of a much "older" method of teaching.

The little Mosque

the little mosque

We came across this little mosque on the outskirts of the village, while heading to the Mnarani aquarium. It's the only one we saw, which left us puzzled, as Nungwi has 8000 inhabitants, and all of them are of Muslim faith. No way all of them could squeeze into this tiny construction.
    Obviously there must be other mosques in town, or else people do not practice much at official worship places.

The traditional village

a makuti hut

The traditional fishing village of Nungwi is a charming place to visit, and it's onlly a pity that very few tourists venture there. It's a unique chance to see how normal people live, and visitors are welcomed with smiles and "jambos". Children in particular are adorable: they will run up to you to touch you and hold your hand - just because you are a novelty. No one ever asked us for money: this is the Africa that doesn't beg, then one not yet affected by money-handling wesern tourists.
    The majority of houses are small and built in coral, with some traditional makuti huts on the outskirts of the village. Roads are dusty but generally clean - there are also green patches where the local youths play football. Because they are winding and twisting, once inside the village(which is quite large) it's easy to get lost, but if you keep to them main road there will be absolutely no problem.

sunsets...

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 22, 2006

As there is really not much to do at night in Nunwi, at least there are sunsets to die for. In fact this is the best location all over Zanzibar island to admire sunsets.
    They are wonderful, amazing and suggestinve.
    If you are lucky enough, you may get to see local boats (dhows) sailing back to shore as the sky turn bright orange. It's quite a sight.

Instant Answers: Banda Kuu

Comments

Banda Kuu Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Banda Kuu things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Banda Kuu sightseeing.