Dar es Salaam Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Dar es Salaam

• Penelope4's Profile Photo

Mediterraneo Hotel and Restaurant: Pizza, pasta, risotto and more

by Penelope4 Written Feb 11, 2010

Mediterranean cuisine - as the name of the hotel/restaurant suggests. But what does Mediterranen cuisine mean anyway? Pasta, wine, olive oil, cheese, vegetables, fruits, fish (seafoods)... I had two dinner meals and breakfast in here and I was impressed. I wish I were with someone special in here because it is a very romantic place for dinner. I gathered businessmen come over for lunch here because of the setting. It is really a nice place.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my food but I regret not having tried their pizza. The oven is right in the restaurant facing the ocean. While you hear the waves splashing on the shore, you smell the pizza being freshly baked in the stone-like oven.

• L'oriental: Best Restaurant in town

by Fedzo Written Nov 29, 2007
    Yummy

The most Chique (and most expensive) spot in town.
    in Kempinski Hotel, it offers a variety of Japanese, chiense and Indonesian food. famous for its Sushi. The food is so fresh u actually get to pick it from the tank (u choose your alive fish, crabs and lobsters from the fish tanks). i m in love with the fried prawns in eggnoodles.

• ashibe: good japanease food. don-buri,katu-don and tempura

by woodyallen Written Jan 29, 2007

ashibe at mayfair

this is very nice japanease restaurant.
    you can eat katu-don,oyako-don and ten-don.
    taste is really good.this is really japanease food.
    the owner is japanease .he is very polite and good person.
    if you are japanease and eat katu-don at this restaurant,you will be impressed very much.

• oosaka at masaki: japanease sushi

by woodyallen Written Jan 29, 2007

there are a lot of good restaurant at masaki.
    Oosaka is good japanease restaurant.
    owner is korean.so korean food is also good.
    I recommend lunch set for you.
    sushi,tempra,etc.. cost is about 20,000 /=
    oosaka does not open on monday.

Favorite Dish: lunch set!
    you can eat many japanease food in lunch set.

• xwoman's Profile Photo

City Garden: Try the lamb chops Great!!

by xwoman Written Jul 30, 2005

The food is normal one can also get great africa food.. sorry no game food served . The restaurant isnt called city garden for nothing it is actually under a garden 3 huge tree's cover one from the sun and the place is so green one feels they r in Heaven. The Surrounding are in the middle of the city put when one gets there expesially around 4 or 5 in the after noon or even the evening on feels they are in the middle of now where the sounds of jazz are played and the waiters can teach you a word or two in the local language :)

Favorite Dish: Id say the pineapple and mango juice and watermelon freshly made while you wait because this country is a country where fruit is picked that night and served that moring great fun and tasted lovely

Calabash: Exclusive restaurant

by ericsas Written Jun 19, 2005

Calabash is located inside Sea Cliff Hotel.

This is the second Calabash opened. I had the opportunity to have dinner as well in the "original" Calabash when I was in Swaziland, and I can say that the one located in Swaziland is better than this one....

The best food you can have here is meat, being the T-Bone one of the most remarkable.

I'd recommend to book a table before going, mainly the weekends, cause it uses to be crowded. But if you arrive there and they tell you you have to wait 45 minutes for table, just talk with the manager and surprisingly you'll get a table in 3 minutes...

Favorite Dish: T-Bone here is according to my colleagues the best T-Bone you can have in Dar.

The Fishmonger: Probably the best seafood in Dar

by ericsas Written Jun 19, 2005

The speaciality of this restaurant is fish and seafood. The menu offers different choices, but I can only talk about one dish, cause is the only one in I've taken in all the times I've been there, so as you can guess I really liked that dish!!!

The restaurant is located in the Sea Cliff Village, and is open-air. In the rainy season there are big umbrellas, so the rain is not an excuse for not going.

Favorite Dish: "FM Platter for one" ... That's the name of the dish I took always for dinner.. and I can tell you that I had dinner there many nights.

It's composed of lobster, prawns, calamari, rice and chips.

The lobster is probably the best I took in Dar. It's absolutely delicious!!!

Palm Beach Hotel: Pasta cooked as you prefer

by ericsas Written Jun 19, 2005

This restaurant is located inside Palm Beach Hotel. You're offered different buffets, from continental cuisine to even sandwhiches.

The only one I tried there was the pasta. You're offered different choices of pasta, and you tell them which one you want, what ingredients you want to add, sauces and so on, and they cook it for you in front of you.

The restaurant is full of expats and business people.

Favorite Dish: Pasta cooked for you as you prefer.

Butcher's Grill: Good meat

by ericsas Written Jun 19, 2005

This is the only restaurant located inside Millenium Towers Hotel. So, as consequence is fairly new.

As its name shows the speciality of this restaurant is the meat. If I don't remember bad, the meat is imported from Kenya and from Australia and is quite good.

Staff working in the restaurant works as well in the bar that is in front of the restaurant, close to the pool, so sometimes, you have to wait for ages till you're payed attention, and sometimes you never get the sauce you have ordered.

Another thing that you must take into account, is that there are two sizes for the meat: "Mr" and "Mrs". My recommendation: Order always Mrs, cause is cheaper and is the same size than Mr!!!! I checked the size several times, ordering Mrs and my colleagues Mr, and we always had the same size!!! And when you complain about it, they just smile to you and say sorry....

Favorite Dish: My recommendation Sirloin, size Mrs.

Dont' order sauces cause they're quite expensive and sometimes you have finished your meat and you haven't yet got the sauce...

And remember.. never order size Mr !!! You pay 3.000 more for the same that Mrs !!!!

• titti's Profile Photo

Chef’s Pride Restaurant, in...

by titti Written Aug 24, 2002

Chef’s Pride Restaurant, in the street in front of Holiday Hotel (near Libya street). A nice place where you can try real Swahili food sharing a table with local people. I spent less than three days in Dar, but I sat in this restaurant quite a few hours since I really loved the food, the people and … the prices! For breakfast I “used” to have a plate of fruit. One morning a waiter came and said “I’m very sorry, we don’t have apples today, just bananas, mangoes, papayas, pineapples…”
    For lunch I strongly recommend “Matembele Ugali”, stewed green vegetables (matembele, I think) served with Swahili … polenta (ugali). Great!
    In the pic another restaurant ...one of the globalization's negative impacts, not the worst!

• inger.'s Profile Photo

La Trattoria Jan, I don't...

by inger. Updated Aug 24, 2002

La Trattoria Jan, I don't remember the name of the street, but the taxi driver will know it.
    I was there with the euro 2000 cup, (holland lost from italy), very happy italians everywhere. We had a table at the back of the restaurant in a walled 'garden', which you can't see when sitting in the restaurant, I had been there a couple of times before and I didn't know it existed... anyway its a nice area of the restaurant. They have very friendly and quick staff, and serve good italian coffee (its hard to find a good cup of coffee in Tanzania).

Favorite Dish: At the trattoria they have very nice pizzas (especially pizza jan), but I really liked the pasta vongole, which is with clams, and lots of garlic...

• inger.'s Profile Photo

I really enjoyed the food at...

by inger. Written Aug 24, 2002

I really enjoyed the food at the New Africa Hotel near the Sheraton hotel, city centre of Dar es salaam. I also enjoyed chicken kebab at the Bar es salaam, which is located in the same street as Trattoria jan, in Msasani.

Favorite Dish: The New Africa Hotel is well known for their curry's, which are fab... The chicken kebab (1000 shilling/ 1usd per stick) or barbeque chicken (4500shilling) at the Bar es Salaam is nice.

• Rawicz's Profile Photo

something african: Breakfast

by Rawicz Written Feb 21, 2003

Of course you can find in Dar es Salaam European breakfast. There are international restaurant like Subway, but you should take real african breakfast even if this is not your favourite.

• Geeque's Profile Photo

New Africa...

by Geeque Written Aug 25, 2002

New Africa Hotel,Salamander,Dar es salaam Hardrock Cafe.This is the picture of Bandari Grill Restaurant at New Africa Hotel in Dar es salaam.

Instant Answers: Dar es Salaam

Comments

Dar es Salaam Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Dar es Salaam restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dar es Salaam sightseeing.

View all Dar es Salaam hotels