Paje Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Paje

Armed robberies

by clouds111 Written Oct 13, 2008

Although during my stay in Paje I had not encountered any trouble at all I do feel I should post a warning about a number of the hotels along the beach in this area including Crystal (where I stayed). I am aware of a number of armed robberies that have allegedly taken place, where men have walked up from the beach and held up the tourists in the restaurant. I'm not sure at the extent of the problems but I have seen a number of forum posts on other websites warning people about this. There is also warnings of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website

The trouble with the hotels along this strip is that that are completely open for people to just wander in from the beach at any time of night. And with a single security guard (this may have increased since) armed with a machete, there is little defence against someone wielding a gun. BUT this openess is what makes Paje so beautiful, heaven forbid that these places are surrounded by walls and fences!

As I said, I had no trouble what so ever and this is not meant to warn people away from Paje because it is such a beautiful place, you just need to be on your guard and be sensible about walking around at night time.

Lost baggage

by clouds111 Updated Jun 11, 2008

Lost or delayed luggage occurs very frequently in Zanzibar. It usually happens if you've changed planes on your journey to the island. On my small flight (with about 30 people) about 5-6 passergers bags were left in Nairobi, probably due to the short turnover. My bag was one of them and fortunately it turned up on the next flight and was delivered to the hotel the next morning.

If you don't already it really is worth putting half your clothes in your partners luggage if you are travelling with someone. Or putting some essentials in your hand luggage.

Blackout

by clouds111 Written Jun 11, 2008

During my stay there was a major power blackout on the island (June 2008) this had lasted 3 weeks and could possibly continue for some time. Most major hostels/resorts will have a generator, however it's worth calling them to check this if you are travelling soon. This means that the island is in darkness and makes it quite daunting venturing out at night, especially walking along the beach.

It really is worth taking a torch with you, even if electricity is back up as there are frequent power cuts.

Instant Answers: Paje

Comments

Paje Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Paje warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Paje sightseeing.