Pongwe Travel Guide

• Pongwe
    by call_me_rhia
    in between the bungalows and the sea
    by PeteG
  • Pongwe
    by PeteG

Pongwe Things to Do

• by whirpool Written May 31, 2006

we found there were a number of things to do , moutain bikes were available for the active or you could do snorkelling at the reef , diving and big game fishing , spice tour is great , but we do advise that you do the tour and something else like a trip to stonetown with it as the price is nearly the same , its really how you feel and how active you want to be , we enjoyed the chilled out time , but thats not for everyone .

by call_me_rhia Updated May 15, 2006

Pongwe is great for people watching... and I don't mean the other tourists... somehow there did not seem to be other people there, although we had seen a few at lunchtime.
    When I say people watching, I mean watch local women combing the beach for seaweed, then handing them up on a tree branch to let it dry.
    What for? To use it as a natural soil fertilizer, I was told.

by call_me_rhia Updated May 15, 2006

In Pongwe there is not much to do.. swimming, relaxing... enjoying doing nothing. Of course it's possible to organise some snorkeling or diving trips... but basically the place just screams for you to slow down.
    Aside from swimming nad playing with the waves at high tide, the resort has quite a number of hammocks spread about the garden... lazying on a hammock is even better than lazying on a sun-bed.

Pongwe Hotels

Pongwe Restaurants

• by whirpool Written Jun 1, 2006

The hotels food was great ! and they would cook any thing special you requested, we do recommend the seafood platter on the beach its to die for .

Favorite Dish: seafood platter

by call_me_rhia Updated May 15, 2006

The most disappointing food in Zanzibar... it tasted "unassuming", "uninspiring". Very posh food, though... There's a a set menu with very little to choose from; if I remember correctly the choice was between two starter and two main dishes only.

Favorite Dish: The managment, in the past, called a consultant chef of a 3 star Michelin restaurant to train the in-house chef. The result? Very bland nouvelle cuisine food. As for the island's spices... no sign of them. Sad to say... the best thing was... the bread...

• Pongwe Hotels

1 Hotels in Pongwe

Pongwe Sports & Outdoors

by call_me_rhia Updated May 15, 2006

Pongwe for me turned out to be a swimming afternoon... Wonerful clear (and very warm) water. We swam for a long time and had a good time.
    Even better, when the tide started to rise, was riding waves. Waves were quite powerful, so surfing them provided a lot of fun - many times we surfed them, many other times we were overturned by them...

Equipment: Nothing special.

Pongwe Favorites

by call_me_rhia Updated May 15, 2006

Favorite thing: Pongwe is the ultimate perfect beach. it's a secluded beach belonging to a tiny resort in them middle of nowhere. it's located on the east coast of Zanzibar, on a little bay of azure blue waters. The bay is protected bz the reef so it's perfect for swimming and snorkeling.
    Beautiful as it is, it0s wonderful for an afternoon - or for a couple of days at the most - then it really gets quite boring.

Fondest memory: The water... nowhere else I have found such warm water... in fact it was so warm that it was nearly annoying. You jump in the water to cool yourself from the heat, and you find out that the water is equally hot. No kidding.

Instant Answers: Pongwe

Comments

Pongwe Travel Guide
Map of Pongwe