Places to eat in Tanzania

Most Viewed Restaurants in Tanzania

• sachara's Profile Photo

Mercury's: ''Queens'' Restaurant

by sachara Written Mar 11, 2005

Mercury's in Stone town is named after Freddy Mercury, the flamboyant singer of the rock-group Queen. He was born in Stone Town as Farok Bulsara. In Mercury's you can find pictures of him and Queen and buy T-shirts.

Mercury's is a lovely place at the beach of Stone Town. Several times we spent our lunchbreak here, because of the cool seabreeze in the roofed open-air bar in combination with the perfect view at the beach, the blue ocean and the tiny islands just in front of the coast.

Favorite Dish: I especially liked the salads. So there is a salad ''Freddy's choice'', told te be his favourite

• sachara's Profile Photo

Africa House: Gathering at sunset time

by sachara Written Mar 11, 2005

In Zanzibar town everybody is gathering at the big terrace of Africa House in the late afternoon to enjoy the wonderful sunsets of Africa. It's a good place for drinks, longdrinks and cocktails.

Nowadays the building and terrace are restored and rather fancy. But it was allready for decades the favourite place to be for expats, tourists and Tanzanians of the mainland. In former times you had to bring the chairs to the terrace yourselves.

Favorite Dish: I went to the Africa House for a drink or meeting friends. Only once we took dinner at the terrace at the 2th floor. It was rather expensive and not of great value.

• elsadran's Profile Photo

Tumaini Restaurant - Lushoto

by elsadran Updated Jul 1, 2012

Locals frequent Tumaini restaurant because the food is tasty, clean and very affordable. The best dish for my taste was spaghetti with aubergine and vegetables ($4 / 3.2 e)
    Pizza is not good. Main dishes cost $4 – 3 e to $3.7 – 4.7 e, soups and salads are at $2.2 – 1.7 e. Breakfast is free if you stay there..

• SanguiniA's Profile Photo

Restaurants in the Impala Hotel: Good Food in Arusha

by SanguiniA Written Jun 30, 2005

The restaurants at the impala hotel are amazing - especially the Chinese and Indian ones. I will never forget the Indian restaurant - probably the best foor I have eaten in my entire life (maybe because I was ultra hungry - but I still long for that chicken masala!). The chinese food was pretty good as well, and the portions were enormous.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Masala in the Indian Restaurant

• ycnan's Profile Photo

Tent Camp: Lots of food

by ycnan Written Nov 24, 2002

This is not about a restaurant but the tent camp in the Serengeti. How the chef and his crew managed to come up with some of the dishes they cooked with the equipment they had, I don't know.

Favorite Dish: My favorite food that they fixed was the African food. There was a spiced chicken dish that was wonderful. They also served beef stew, spiced rice, a kind of polenta, cooked greens, including watercress, and a salad of fresh greens.

• Rusket's Profile Photo

Home cooked

by Rusket Updated Oct 14, 2005

Of all the meals I ate around the world this meal can only be compared to two others: The one in Wandie's Place in Soweto and the one served in a private home on Tarawa, Kiribati! It was prepared by my friend Margaret and her maid, following our shopping in the local market in Arusha.

The kitchen wasn't finished (pic 5) and the power supply failed during the food preparations, but the meal was superb!

by grets Updated Jul 30, 2007

Most people don’t go on a safari for a gourmet experience, but you might as well have food you enjoy. Most safari companies provide you will full board: that is breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lunch is often taken as a picnic whilst on a safari drive. You should also be able to arrange with your driver to take breakfast this way too, so that you can set off early and stay out all day. Otherwise, what often happens is that you go off for a game drive at first light (or even before dawn) after a cup of coffee (and a biscuit if you are lucky) and come back for a later breakfast. The only problem I find with this is that I get very hungry if I don’t eat a proper breakfast within an hour or two after getting up, so I tend to take with me some cereal bars or other snack bars from home. That way I can keep the hunger at bay until brunch.

Favorite Dish: Our breakfast picnic consisted of fresh fruit, a bread roll, boiled egg, sausages, and orange juice. The lunch picnic was more or less the same, but often included a piece of cooked chicken, sandwiches and a cake or chocolate.

by grets Updated Jul 30, 2007

If your safari is lodge based, staying in the same lodge the entire time, you may find that the driver takes you back to the lodge for an extended lunch in the middle of the day. They may do an early morning game drive, coming back for a late breakfast around 10am, with the rest of the day free until an afternoon game drive around 3pm. Many lodges will have swimming pools where you can laze away the midday, or you may be able to overlook a waterhole. I personally prefer to be out all day, as I don’t do relaxation on holiday. But that is my own personal preference; you may very well want some chill-out time.

Camping food

by grets Updated Jul 30, 2007

Being on a camping safari, we carried all our food and water (which was included in the basic cost of the trip – another consideration as it may be difficult (and/or expensive) to purchase water en route) with us, as well as a cook. All our camps we had separate cooking facilities available for the cook to prepare our dinner. Be clear with the safari operator exactly to what extent you are expected to help with the chores. This would usually depend on how many there are of you in the group; with just two of us, we were not expected to contribute to the preparation of food or the washing up. On a previous trip, in a group of 15 on an overlander truck, we took it in turns to help with food preparations as well as the washing up and loading of the truck.

Favorite Dish: If you are planning a camping safari, you may wish to enquire whether the operators provide seating for you to eat your food. For breakfast and lunch this is not a problem for me, as I am quite happy to stand and eat (especially after sitting down in the safari vehicle for a long time). I cannot, however, sit on the ground for any periods of time due to a back injury, so having a camping chair is important to me. On some previous trips, where these have not been provided, I have packed my own. Calabash provided chairs and a table for dining.

by grets Updated Jul 30, 2007

If you are a vegetarian, vegan, celiac or have any other dietary requirements, be sure to tell the operators when booking the safari. Most diets can be catered for, but if you are on a camping safari, the cook usually buys most of the food before the safari starts so as not to waste time on the trip. You may also wish to inform them if you do not like your food spicy or have any other preferences such as extreme dislikes. It makes it so much easier for the cook and so much more enjoyable for you.

Another thing to consider is the cleanliness during food preparation and eating. Make sure you wash your hands before every meal, and insist that the cook does so too. I must admit I didn’t actually check that ours did, but we had no stomach problems so I guess it was OK. He always washed his hands prior to eating, so I am sure he was as meticulous when cooking. I was very impressed with the quality of the food Arnaud (our cook) presented us with on the safari – he even magically produced a birthday cake for David from a field kitchen in the middle of nowhere!

Lodge food

by grets Updated Jul 30, 2007

If you are staying at lodges, they generally provide full board on a buffet basis. Usually the food is western style with the occasional local dish or curry thrown in for good measure. At the Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the dinner was in fact a la carte. This was great news to both of us as, as neither of us is particularly fond of buffets. The lodge also provided a breakfast and lunch picnic for the following day. We only stayed there one night. The food was very tasty; in fact the starter was so good that when the waiter asked us if we wanted a second helping, we both jumped at the chance. Be aware that drinks purchased at the lodges can be very expensive.

by grets Updated Jul 30, 2007

Two of our camps had on site bars where you could purchase alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, which was really nice. Having visited East Africa on several previous occasions, we were aware of the South African Savannah Cider which is imported to many sub-Saharan countries, so we made a point of stopping to get some provisions before leaving the main town of Arusha. We also bought some Diet Coke (to go with our duty free Bacardi) and small snacks such as peanuts and crisps to eat while we were waiting for dinner to be cooked in the evening. If you wish to have anything else to drink on the trip other than water, this would be a good time to stock up. It would be only polite to check with the driver to ensure that there is space on the vehicle for anything that you buy.

• emmet7's Profile Photo

Oriental: Kempinski Hotel in Dar es Salaam

by emmet7 Updated Mar 22, 2007

the food, wine (South African) and service was excellent, particularly the lobster or prawns.

nice atmosphere with Thai, Chinese and Japanese cuisine on offer.

Favorite Dish: grilled giant prawns in spicy Thai sauce

• Photography
    • Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• The Ngorongo Crater Rim Lodge: Wow!

by drcondon Written Feb 12, 2005

The food was divine. Different tastes every night and the staff were great. The barbecue on the balcony was great as when we went out to get our food the views over the crater were stunning.

Favorite Dish: Wild Boar, gazelle, and everything else you would expect along with ostrich.
    Oh and the fruit was probably the best i have ever tasted.
    PLEASE try the red bananas.

• Luxury Travel
    • Photography

• AJ_Vancouver's Profile Photo

A TEA SHOP and Naaz,about 3...

by AJ_Vancouver Written Aug 26, 2002

A TEA SHOP and Naaz,about 3 blocks apart,A Tea Shop was on morogoro road can't recall the cross street.
    Alway's busy and cheap good tasty food.

Favorite Dish: Tea and Kabab's at A Tea Shop and Bhel(a mixture of lentils,spices,patatoes and tamarind juice) was Naaz resturant's speciality,I wonder if either resturant's are still there.

Tanzania Hotels

Paje Hotels
23 Reviews - 15 Photos

Instant Answers: Tanzania

Tanzania Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tanzania restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tanzania sightseeing.
Map of Tanzania