Zanzibar Island Sports & Outdoors

• supermediania's Profile Photo

Diving in Open Water

by supermediania Written Dec 1, 2004
    Diving on the Pool

If you love the sea like I do you love to do scuba diving. I did it many years ago on a swimming pool and I loved it so when I was at Zanzibar I wanted to do the Open Water Padi Course so I could do scuba all over the world :)
    Go to www.padi.com if you want further information about the diferent courses.

We did it on the sports center of the hotel Kaskazi: www.kaskazi.net .
    It belongs to Italian people: Franco & Francesca, very happy and wonderful people believe me.
    They bring us the best scuba instructor you could get Mr. Mohamed S. Mohamed , he could look like a military instructor but believe me he want that your open water expirience could be the most safer it could be.
    Please try it and you will never be the same believe me.

Equipment: You don't need any equipment it is bring you by the Sport Center People

• grets's Profile Photo

Snorkelling

by grets Written Aug 14, 2004

I was keen to arrange a scuba diving trip or two, but the nearest diving centre (four miles away) was closed! Instead I joined several others from our hotel on a boat trip out to the reef for snorkelling.

For many people, this was their first attempt at snorkelling, and I was dismayed at how the outing was handled by the "guide". We stopped some way off the shore of a private island, out of our dpeth, and the beginners were given no instrcutions or demonstrations on the use of the equipent, just told to jump overboard. I do feel that it would have been a better idea to let them try it out in shallow waters prior to getting in the boat. Fortunately, a very kind gentleman took pity on the beginners and acted as instructor, suggesting that they donned life jackets to feel more at ease.

I found the reef a quite pleasant, and there were many colourful fish which I ended up forllowing for some distance. I have my very own style of snorkelling, much to the amusement of the "guide", and as I am incredibly buoyant, I find it so hard to dive down to take photos, as I float to the surface before I have a chance to press the shutter!

I personally very much enjoyed the outing to snorkel at the reef, but I know that many of the less experienced snorkellers found it too difficult.

• Beaches

• jackfruit's Profile Photo

Diving

by jackfruit Written Feb 27, 2004

Zanzibar offers lots of diving opportunities.
    Some of the best dive spots are on the northeastern part of the island off Mnemba.
    Of course, diving at Pemba is supposed to be unrivaled anywhere in the Indian Ocean, but Mnemba diving provides opportunities to see grouper, shark and big game fish, not to mention turtles and colorful tropical reef fish.

There are plenty of dive outfits in Stonetown and Nungwi Village that will make daytrips to the Mnemba area.

We used Sensation Divers in Nungwi Village. The dive shop is located opposite Amman Bungalows in the heart of the tourist downtown in Nungwi Village. If you are interested in seeing some marine friends, Pete at the Sensation Dive shop will definetly take you out in one of his boats for a fantastic dive experience!

Instant Answers: Zanzibar Island

Comments

Zanzibar Island Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Zanzibar Island sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zanzibar Island sightseeing.

View all Zanzibar Island hotels