Kololi Restaurants

African Queen at Senegambia Street
    by WanderingFinn
    JoJo and her merry staff!
    by abdoulie
    Our evening at JoJo's
    by abdoulie

Most Recent Restaurants in Kololi

• African Queen: Great food and service

by nextholiday Written Jan 12, 2008

What a great restaurant this is. The food is freshly prepared and tastes really good. Average meal consisting of a main course and 2 beer's and coffee will be about £12 stg. Say hello for me to "Walk On By" he is employed by the restaurant and is the guy working immediately outside the restaurant who gets you to go in. The owner calls him, her bumpster, although I find that term offensive for such a superb employee. Get a seat next to the road at about 20:00 and watch him at work, it's the best free show in town. We ate here 5 nights out of 7, which says it all as we usually like to eat at different places. We gave "walk on by" a $5 tip for entertaing us. A band comes in after 23:00 and plays until 3 in the morning over Christmas and New Year, although not sure about other times.

Favorite Dish: For my wife it was the fish dishes. For me the sizzlers - order one if you dare. Gives a whole new meaning to a hot plate !!!!

• Beer Tasting

• JOJO'S: the best steaks in Senengambia

by abdoulie Written Dec 1, 2007

JoJo and her merry staff!

This restaurant is located next to the entrance of Holiday Beach Hotel. It was formerley the Bush Garden. The steaks are delicious as are the other dishes which include chicken, pork and fish. The menu is select and therefore does not take ages to decide. The proprietor is a lovely Gambian lady and her staff are amazing, so friendly and enjoy a good laugh with clients while not forgetting that they are working hard. The live music is great, we saw 3 different trio's on different nights and enjoyed every one. It is background music and during a quiet spell the waiters give a little floor show. I think that by the end of the season this place will be among the top restaurants in Senengambia.

Favorite Dish: Prime Tenderlion of beef (fillet). Just about the best steak I have tasted in years. So tender and flavoursome. Cooked to your liking all the way through. What more can I say, give it a try.

• Seniors

• WanderingFinn's Profile Photo

African Queen: Real African food and great athmosphere

by WanderingFinn Written Jan 6, 2007

African Queen at Senegambia Street

The menu contained all the traditional and famous African dishes like domoda, yassa (with either chicken, fish or meat) and benechin.

You could also order fresh exotic fish like butterfish, Captainfish and Ladyfish.

The ambience and surroundings were cosy, attractive and nice. It is an outside/terrace restaurant, so people eat out (it is enough warm in Gambia even nighttime). Colouring is nice; African yellowish, and the waiters wear yellow shirts so you can really recognise them.

This time it doesn't matter that the restaurant is full of tourists (we usually avoid touristic places). African Queen and especially its service made it our favourite restaurant in the Senegambia area (the tourist area belonging to the Kololi village).
    The guys always had time for a smile, laugh, joke, handshake or a couple of words.

Favorite Dish: I really recommend you the yassa. But watch out and have lots of to drink beside you - yassa is ususally very hot and spicy.

Liao Thai Restaurant: Great buffet

Thai food

From my journal:

"In the evening we had a table booked at Liao Thai Restaurant. Arranged a taxi to take us there, wait, and then take us home.

We had a lovely table in a little courtyard by a small pond with koi carp, plants and an Oriental bridge acros it leading to an aviary.

The only drawback was the appearance of a bunch of unruly children running amok. No parental control. We were expecting a splash any minute, but it didn't happen. Unfortunately.

The food was buffet, which was good.

Favorite Dish: My favourite was deep fried prawns with plum sauce. I had already helped myself twice to many of the dishes, when the owner came along and told us that the main courses were around the corner.

There was a choice of chicken, pork, prawns, fish and beef, which was freshly fried for you with your choice of sauce.

Deessert was deep fried banana.

All very nice."

Main restaurant, Kairaba Hotel: Free cabaret

Restaurant

From my journal:

"We asked if we could sit inside as it was rather cold outside, and they were very obliging, moving a table from the terrace to the inside corner of the restaurant, but I think it was the waiter's first night. Watching him trying to lift a roll on to the plate the silver service way was hilarious. By the time the roll had actually got on to the plate, it was more like a pancake.

Taking the order was a palaver, and had to be repeated several times, and trying to make him understand that we wanted two seperate bills was almost impossible. When the bill came, David and I ended up with all four main courses and my parents with the desserts.

My father went to bed before the dessert as he wasn't feeling well. When the waiter brough the dessert menus, he came over with three, gave me one and went back with the other two."

Favorite Dish: Trying to keep a straight face when the poor waiter was attending to us, was almost impossible. He was so eager to please, but obviously had no idea. It did not put a damper on the visit, quite the opposite - we all have to start somewhere!

All the food we had was excellent, and we went back to this restaurant twice more afterwards.

Kairaba Hotel Poolside Restaurant: Interesting menu

Poolside restaurant

This covered café / restaurant is set right by the pool and is ideal for daytime snacks.

Favorite Dish: I had an African dish of ocra formed into little nuggets and deep fried, served with a bitingly hot chilli sauce. Delicious!

• johanl's Profile Photo

Lebanese and local cuisine: Quite some choice

by johanl Written Nov 17, 2002

a nice cold beer

Enjoy the local food (rice and chicken are on every menu).
    You will find a lot of Lebanese and Chinese restaurants. Most of the owners are foreigners and the quality of the food is not really good.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is Piri Piri chicken.

Instant Answers: Kololi

Comments

Kololi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kololi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kololi sightseeing.