Kara Travel Guide

Kara Things to Do

by grets Written Feb 27, 2007

In another section, not far from the dead animal part, was the area where they sold live goats. They were crammed in rather tight and making a lot of noise. Perhaps they’d seen the fate of their fellow animals in the butcher section?

by grets Written Feb 27, 2007

Inside one of the large halls, was the butcher section. Huge slabs on meat lay on solid concrete counters. The meat didn’t look bad, but it also did not look like the same quality as I would get in the supermarket back home. It did not smell though, as I have experienced in other meat markets, and there were very few flies.

One sight that did amuse me – on the pavement outside the hall was a heap of cow skin. The skin of a whole cow. See picture four to see what I mean.

by grets Written Feb 27, 2007

The was nothing extraordinary about Kara market that stands it aside from many other markets in West Africa, but it was still a pleasant place to while away and hour or two. The market was divided into sections, and each section sold similar types of goods. Tomatoes in one place, yams in another. Household goods together and also car parts. Etc etc etc

Kara Restaurants

The restaurant from the car park 4 more images

by grets Written Apr 8, 2007

We stopped just outside Kara at this restaurant for lunch on our way through (having stayed in Kara a couple of nights previously) from Taberma Valley south. It was a pleasant little spot to stop and they readily agreed to us cooking our own food and using their premises, providing we bought drinks. Cool.

Daniel (the chef) cooked us goat and rice with salad for what was in fact Christmas Lunch. It was very good too.

The restaurant had an inside area and a lovely covered terrace, which is were we sat. There were clean toilets too, which is always a bonus. The drinks that were available were the normal soft drinks as well as beer and spirits for those who wanted to celebrate Christmas in style. I stuck to the pamplemoose juice (grapefruit) which I had come to love.

by grets Written Feb 27, 2007

The restaurant was like the rest of the hotel – clean and functional but rather featureless. There were no other patrons there when we arrived around 18:30, but a few more diners arrived later. We were encouraged to choose the Plat du Jour, which we did. David had fish and fries, I had chicken and fries. Starter was salad, dessert crème caramel.

I was quite amused by the translation of a couple of the other items on the menu:

Confit du Canard = Jammed Swan
    Mothley Ice Cream

• Kara Hotels

0 Hotels in Kara

Instant Answers: Kara

Comments

Kara Travel Guide
Map of Kara