Tunis Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Tunis

Le Carre Blanc: Upscale Dining

by OnTheRoadGoombah Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is a great place to celebrate a romantic evening or to cap off a great business meeting. White tablecloths, impeccable staff, and a great view of the beach all lend itself to a great dining experience. But what is a great dining experience without great food? Well, not to worry, Le Carre Blanc does not disappoint. Again, our party shared a wide array of seafood appetizers and some more great bread (not sure if there is bad bread in Tunis). The fish of the day is presented in all its glory for you to choose which fish you want and how you would like it prepared. Other options include pasta with frutta di mare and beef and chicken dishes. I settled for a filet with three cheeses, ordered medium rare, and it was awesome. Everyone at the table was completely impressed with the food and service except one woman whose steak was still mooing. A quick flash fry from the kitchen and all was good with the world. This restaurant is a little pricy, but worth it if you are looking to impress a woman or a business colleague.

Favorite Dish: The seafood appetizers of shrimp, calamari, octopus, and other delicacies were outstanding.

• Business Travel

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Andalous: Pricey and dim lit

by hydronetta Written Apr 25, 2009

After our failure to have a fine dining in Sidi Bou Said (one restaurant fully reserved the other closed), we returned back to Tunis and we went to Andalous restaurant located just off Av. Bourguiba. as mentioned in my guide book, it's a dim lit restaurant.
    As the main dining area was crowded, we were directed to small patio even darker where we were all alone...
    Service was a bit slow but they were kind and helpful. We had fish plus some extras. I can't say I was thrilled neither by the portion size nor by the cuisine and having paid 70TD (almost 40 euros) for 2 people (no wine, just 2 beers) I consider it expensive and not great value.
    Price for a grilled fish (medium size): 18TD

• Au Bon Vieux Temps - Sidi Bou Said: Nice Views, Mediocre Food

by alamoaesthete Written Jun 13, 2008

Au Bon Vieux Temps has a delightful location in Sidi Bou Said, with views looking out over the Gulf of Tunis. Unfortunately, the food and service cannot be recommended. On a recent visit, my friend and I ordered main courses of lamb couscous and fish with preserved lemons, as well as a starter salad of greens, cheese, and walnuts. All three items were of mediocre quality: underseasoned and boring. If you are in the mood for similar Tunisian food, I would recommend instead going to one of the cheap restaurants in downtown Tunis, where the food is one-quarter of the price and of similar quality. Better yet, make friends with locals and eat with them, or make your own food in a rented apartment. The quality of local produce in Tunis is excellent, though restaurant food is almost universally disappointing.

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Sweets sweets sweets

by clouds111 Updated Mar 14, 2008

Try some sweets from the street vendors in Tunis if you're peckish - jalabies and burfi are good. The first one I had was pretty good. The second one I had was covered in hairs and wasn't so good... it's hit and miss!

L'Orient: Good place, well priced

by Willettsworld Written Feb 16, 2008

Located to the north of Ave Habib Bourguiba, this is a lovely large place that is well priced. I had a briq chevrettes (prawn crispy pancake filled with an egg) for starter and great 2 thin long pieces of veal for main course at TD12. Service was good but I had to wait a while for the veal to arrive. Beer is TD2.300. This place is popular with businessman whose mobile phones ring every 5 minutes! Good option.

La Mamma: Musical atmosphere

by Willettsworld Written Feb 16, 2008

I came here and entered upstairs where there was live music and singing going on and the place was packed. Managed to find a table where a guy near me (who was rather intoxicated with beer) nearly caused a fight by dancing with someone else's wife! Great start to a meal! But after about 15 minutes the music stopped and a lot of people left including the intoxicated guy and the atmosphere changed for the better. I ordered a pizza followed by profiteroles which was great with good service. The band started playing again so this helped with the atmosphere.

Other Cafes: Other Cafes

by Willettsworld Written Feb 16, 2008

Ave Habib Bourguiba is Tunis' answer to Paris' Champs Elysees and like its more famous French cousin, is lined with several cafe where the locals sit out under unbrellas at all times of the day and people watch. A cafe aux lait varies in price rather dramatically depending on which cafe you plumb for. For example it costs TD1.200 at the Cafe de Paris and a rather expensive TD2.500 at the El Hana International whilst only costing 900 mills at a cafe opposite the 5-star Africa Hotel.

Le Capitole: Cheap & basic

by Willettsworld Written Feb 16, 2008

This restaurant is well located along Ave Habib Bourguiba and, indeed, you get a good view of the road from its high vantage point. I settled on the set menu at just TD5.800 which had salads and Hors d'oeuvres for starters, cous-cous, chicken and other meat dishes for mains. I had a salad followed by steak Dinine (turkey) which was a slab of thinly cut meat with fries. The food and general atmosphere are cheap so don't expect anything fancy. This place is ideal if on a budget and so the food reflected this.

Le Petite Hutte: Small friendly restaurant

by Willettsworld Written Feb 16, 2008

This small restaurant is located a couple of blocks south of Ave Habib Bourguiba on Rue de Yougoslavie near Place Barcelone which lies outside the main train station. I looked at a couple of restaurants along this road which were rather smokey affairs before settling on this one. This was quiet with no smoke and is well priced with some good food and service. Alcohol is also served. Good option.

Mamma's: Touristy Touristy Touristy

by OnTheRoadGoombah Written Feb 2, 2008

What can I say about Mammas? Well, first of all, it broke all my normal rules for dining in Tunisia. It was in a touristy district and it catered to tourists. It offered fixed priced meals. It had a hawker on the street trying to draw patrons in. Could it get any worse? Well, luckily for us, no. It was a fair restaurant and the prices were fair as well. Nothing spectacular, but it wasn’t trying to be spectacular. It is what it is…a restaurant for Europeans and Americans that are looking for “comfort food.” It is not a place for the adventurous diner. I would hope that VT members are more sophisticated than that…live a little…go outside your comfort zone. The only meal I was disappointed in all week was when we “played it safe” at Mammas. Sorry, Mamma!

Mamma's: Touristy Touristy Touristy

Au Bon Vieux Temps: A Great Restaurant in Sidi Bou Said

by OnTheRoadGoombah Written Feb 2, 2008

Our first night in Tunis we were treated to a wonderful meal at this quaint restaurant. After a series of appetizers that was shared amongst the six diners (and great bread), we al chose different entrees. I had the stuffed lamb and it was awesome. None of my colleagues were disappointed in their meals which ranged from couscous to seafood to other lamb dishes. I apologize that I was so engrossed in my meal that I didn’t take note of other meals. I do know that everyone walked away impressed and the cleanliness and service was impeccable. It is easy to see why this restaurant was chosen as to kick off a great week of great food.

Favorite Dish: The stuffed lamb was very very good.

Dumpukht: Bollywood and Curry

by OnTheRoadGoombah Written Feb 2, 2008
    Yes, we had a lot of fun with the name...

My colleagues and I dined at this Indian restaurant one evening and were surprised to find out we were the only patrons. We made our way upstairs and settled for a table by a plasma TV that was showing some Bollywood movie and later music videos. After enjoying some appetizers, we all ordered something different (don’t ask me what – I only know mine was chicken something). I am not a big Indian cuisine kind of guy, but I did enjoy my meal as did the other three people dining with me. Service was good, but not great, and the restaurant was clean, but we did see a few bugs crawling. That said, everyone really enjoyed their meal and there were no complaints. Although not my first choice, I would go back and eat here again.

Bayruth Café: A Great Lunch Treat

by OnTheRoadGoombah Written Feb 2, 2008

We ate at this restaurant for lunch twice during our week in Tunis. The restaurant and service was impeccable. Each dish was prepared and presented perfectly, from simple shwarma to delicious plats du jour. The restaurant has three levels. If you are looking for a quick sandwich, remain on the ground floor and order. If you would like a plate with salad and hummus, venture upstairs. I would recommend venturing upstairs…the hummus is amazing. And be sure to leave room for mint tea, a staple of Tunisian dining.

Favorite Dish: The hummus was amazing, but I rtuly loved my chicken shwarma the best.

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo

El Dar Restaurant at The Residence Hotel: Traditional Tunisian Food in Style

by janiebaxter Updated Aug 13, 2007

El Dar Restaurant, The Residence, Tunis

This is a real traditional style restaurant, even though it is in a luxury hotel.
    When you walk inside out of the hotel corridor you imagine you are somewhere in the Casbah.
    All the decor is traditional and simple with a flagged floor and local arts and crafts.
    The staff are friendly and helpful and are very good at explaining the dishes on the menu.

Favorite Dish: The lamb cooked in a traditional clay pot is really good and so different to anything I have had before. It is best if you share as the portion is huge. The lamb is baked in herbs and spices in a large clay pot that is sealed so all the juices and taste stay in. The waiter breaks the pot at your table. It is served with couscous and vegetables.
    You need to be very hungry as the portions are big and it is very difficult to resist the lovely fresh local bread they bring before the meal!

• Spa and Resort

Instant Answers: Tunis

Comments

Tunis Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tunis restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tunis sightseeing.