Tunis Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Tunis

Mahdoui: Cheap Medina Restaurant

Something fishy

On our first day in Tunis we went for a very late lunch while exploring the medina. Ruth wasn't hungry as she had eaten on the plane a few hours before but I was ravenous so we stopped at this restaurant, which was near the Great Mosque, on rue Jemaa Zitouna.

Here I learned my first lessons about Tunisian restaurants.

1) No matter what drink you order, even if it's not on the menu or served in the restaurant, you'll get it. Ruth ordered a coke and we saw our waiter walk down the street with an empty coke bottle. He came back about 10 minutes later with a full bottle. No idea where he went!

2) If you order the fish, there's a good chance it will be served with head attached. This kind of put me off eating it but not quite as I was so hungry. If you're the squeamish type order something else.

Mahdoui is open from 11-4 but if you want a good choice of main courses I'd advise getting there early. The menu looked nice but at 3pm all that was left was the fish. It cost about 6D for a main course and two drinks. Very good value but the food was only adequate.

Abid: Sfaxian Restaurant

Ruth in Abid

Twelve Dinars for an entire meal for two people! It does not get better than this.

By our last night in Tunisia we were well used to eating in the cheap, locals restaurants. Abid specialises in Sfaxian food. It's an extremely friendly place and even though we were the only non-locals there we were made very welcome.

We were brought a huge plate of olives, bread and harissa after we sat down. Abid didn't serve alcohol so we had bottles of cold mineral water to accompany our food. We both had Salade de Tomates for starters while for mains I had Merguez (spicy lamb sausages) and Ruth had couscous. This was the biggest couscous I've ever seen. I helped her eat it and even between us we didn't get through half of it.

We didn't have a dessert though we were brought complimentary mint teas by the owner which was a nice way to round of our meal and our trip to Tunisia.

Carthage: Smart Tunis Restaurant

Carthage

Carthage is a lovely restaurant on a quiet street near Avenue Bourguiba. From outside it didn't look like much. We peered in through the window and couldn't see anyone eating in the downstairs section so we assumed it was either closed or very quiet.

A guy sitting behind a desk downstairs beckoned us in and indicated that the restaurant was upstairs. So up we went, dressed like two backpackers only to be met by very well attired waiters. We felt very underdressed but no one seemed to mind. A TV blaring in the background made us feel a little more comfortable.

Carthage is more expensive than your average Tunisian restaurant. It also serves alcohol which you only find in touristy type places or more expensive local places. This was one of the latter. As it was Saturday night the restaurant was nearly full though we were the only non Tunisians. Most of the diners were youngish, affluent Tunisians.

We both went for the 12 Dinar set menu plus a bottle of red wine (Terrale - one of the famous names in Tunisian wines). The food was delicious and as it was our first night in Tunisia it was quiet a novelty to be brought our free appetizers of olives, harissa, tuna and bread. Little did I know you get this in practically every restaurant in the country. Among the dishes we had were Salade de Tomates, Salade Tunisien, Wiener Schnitzel and Tagine.

The service here was mostly excellent. I asked for a fruit salad as all the desserts were too sugary for a diabetic and they made up the nicest fruit salad I can remember. And they didn't charge anything extra. The wine waiter must still be learning the trade as he took ages to open the bottle then spilt it everywhere when he was pouring the first glass! Overall, we really enjoyed the night. The bill came to 38 Dinar which was excellent value for such a nice meal.

Noir et Blanc: Great Value Tunis Resturant

by barryg23 Written Jun 7, 2006

Tunisian Tagine

After visiting a posh restaurant on our first night in Tunis we tried the other end of the scale at Noir & Blanc, a good value place near our hotel on rue de Yougoslavie. The average main course cost about 5 Dinar though I decided to splash out and try the 8D steak. We were brought the usual appetizer of olives, harissa and bread while for starter we both had Salade Tunisienne. The food was very nice and overall it was good value at 20 Dinar for everything.

• maykal's Profile Photo

Restaurant Capitole

by maykal Written Apr 6, 2006

Probably the best bargain around! The Capitole has a set menu for each day of the week, the price always 5.5TD (less than 3GBP) for two starters, a main course and desert with mint tea. All the food is Tunisian, all of it very tasty and obviously fairly authentic as most of the customers are Tunisians.

The restaurant is on the first floor of a building on Avenue Bourguiba, with many tables overlooking the street.

Favorite Dish: Starters include Brik al-azma (Brik a l'ouef, the odd parcel containing a fried egg and a bit of tuna, quite messy to eat), various salads and soup. For the main course, I ate couscous with fish which was tasty and filling. Service was great even though it was busy, the waiters friendly and the food good and cheap, so I can recommend this to any visitor to Tunis.

• MARIPILI's Profile Photo

il capricho: nice and clean

by MARIPILI Written Feb 13, 2006

at isle de jerba near the shoppin area, it was one of the few restaurant or coffeshops that i liked, because it was clean, the food was nice and was full of people of the village, not just for tourist.

Favorite Dish: pizzas and croassants, good expresso coffee

• Study Abroad

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

Chicken Kebab: Don't miss such a Kebab!

by schlumpf Written Jan 7, 2005

Just in front of the Arc of the Medina, there is the main street, where a lot of restaurant and bars has been open during last pasts years.

If you want to eat something quick and good, spending as less as possible, then I would suggest you to come here and eat a Chicken Kebab, such a nice food!

You will spend the ridiculous amount of 2 Dinar for a huge Kebab plus a Soda….something extremely cheap, good for the backpackers like me ):-

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

Restuarant Carcassone: Dont miss the real Tunisien food!

by schlumpf Written Jan 6, 2005

I found this place because I was walking trough the main street in the center seeking for some good and moreover cheap place to eat. At that time came to me two young guys (the guys which paid me the cigarettes…) and they brought me in this restaurant.

I could not eat all they brought me!!!!

I had the entrance (was the spicy Tunisian salad), the main course (it was the cuscus with vegetables and chicken), the second plate, (it was a small piece of steak with pommes frittes) and the dessert, plus beer and coke…

Well, for all that, I spent 5 Dinars!!!

The restaurant is moreover full of backpackers and local people, very quiet, clean and the waitress are amazing! Nice and very cool!!!!

• chrissyalex's Profile Photo

Carcassone: A nice reasonably priced restaurant

by chrissyalex Updated Jul 18, 2003

Although this restaurant is named after a French city, it serves mostly Tunisian food. Excellent service and very reasonably priced. I dined here twice and had couscous the first time (enormous serving!) and Tunisan salad the second time. The couscous was only 3 TD ( about $2.10 US) But if you are a big eater, you can have your choice of an entire 4 course meal for only 4 TD( less than $3) After all meals you are served the traditional mint tea.

Favorite Dish: Couscous and Tunisian salad

• Cam_el's Profile Photo

I didn't eat at restaurants,...

by Cam_el Updated Aug 26, 2002

I didn't eat at restaurants, well I almost did but I got invited to someone's house for dinner. If you get invited to someone's for dinner or lunch or whatever... take the opportunity as long as (if female) you don't go alone and you feel comfortable. You'll never experience more culture than in a Tunisian home at meal time. Just remember to only use your right hand when eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think you'll never be asked, think again.

Favorite Dish: Couscous!!!!!!!!!!! or their lamb, I can't choose. Couscous is small grains made of semolina & flour. It is served with meat and vegetables and usually Harissa to make it red and spicy. The meal is usually served in a large bowl. Everyone sits around and with a large spoon you all dig in to that bowl. Yummy!
    If anyone offers you a pizza, you should accept but have a huge yogurt drink beside you. This is no ordinary pizza...no, jalapenos don't compare!

• aliante1981's Profile Photo

Restaurant Dar el-Jeld: Restaurant Dar el-Jeld

by aliante1981 Written Aug 25, 2002

Certainly expensive by the local standarts but well worth the price. The restaurant offers traditional cuisine in a traditional setting - in a house that once belonged to a wealthy Tunisian family. It is important to mention that there you can also order spirits - from local beer to French champagne.

Favorite Dish: Cous-cous with harissa is just great with some local red wine.

• Aragina's Profile Photo

Sousse has a myriad of all...

by Aragina Written Aug 25, 2002

Sousse has a myriad of all sorts of restaraunts, I have a particular favorite.

Escargot Tél: (216-3) 224 779
    It is typical a French resaraunt with a Tunisian slant, and beautiful surroundings. The staff treat you like royality.

Favorite Dish: It was Fsih Couscous Djerbienne. Delicious!!!

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Cafe de Paris: Not quite the one in Paris!

by Willettsworld Written Feb 16, 2008

One of many cafes that lie along Ave Habib Bourguiba, this place is popular as many of them tend to be. You can just sit outside and watch people go by. A cafe aux lait costs TD1.200.

• Oana_bic's Profile Photo

Taj Dej restaurant: La Marsa - Taj Dej restaurant

by Oana_bic Written Nov 8, 2005

Brilliant Tunsian dishes & very nice fish, great to have with Tunisian white wine, in a classy decor though very empty (again due to Ramadan)!

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Tunis

Comments

Tunis Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tunis restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tunis sightseeing.