Ile de Jerba Sports & Outdoors

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Parasailing in Jerba

by barryg23 Updated Feb 12, 2007

Parasailing in Jerba

Though the beach at Sidi Mahares is something of a tourist trap, there are plenty of water sports available at fairly reasonable prices. We were almost talked into parasailing by one of the locals. He sat down beside us, introduced himself as Mustafha Couscous (surely he was making this up!), and tried to get us to sign up. For some reason he assumed we were German and kept speaking to us in German even though we explained we spoke English and French. Parasailing costs 20 Dh per person which seems quite good value to me. We saw other people doing it and it looked like great fun.

• kritur's Profile Photo

Take care with scooters and quad bikes

by kritur Written Jul 30, 2006

Lots of sports on Djerba - horse riding, camel riding, kite surfing, parascending, water skiiing, scooter and quadbiking.

There are a lot of touts around for various sports, check your insurance and theirs before you sign up for anything. Safety standards are not the same as in western europe and you will most likely not be covered by your insurance if you become injured when quad biking etc. The touts are fairly persistent (and can sell in a number of different languages) but just be prepared to say no thanks. Having very small children is a good excuse and if they are really persistent then just say "nous departons aujourd-hui" even if it's a lie!

Some of the beachfront watersports firms are run by german and dutch firms so if you really want to try something it may be safer to go there.

• Beaches
    • Water Sports
    • Horse Riding

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Renting Pedalos at Sidi Mahares

by barryg23 Updated Apr 23, 2006

On the Water at Sidi Mahares

Not being brave enough to try the parasailing we settled on renting pedalos instead. It cost us 10 D for an hour at the water sports place on the beach at Sidi Mahares. There were plenty of waves in this section of the sea so we ended up getting soaked. Great fun though I'm sorry we didn't try the parasailing instead.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

The four wheels scooter and bugxters

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 20, 2005

bugxters

I wanted to rent a bugxter in order to explore the whole island on my own, but it was impossible. The guy told me that I am not allowed to drive it by myself, I had to rent the local driver along with the bugxter. Also, there is an stricktly determined route which goes away from the local roads but actually, there is nothing interesting on that route. The only exiting is in driving in circle over sand in a close vicinity of the bugxter depo. The same goes for the four whilles scooters.

Horseriding

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 20, 2005

Horseriding is very popular in Djerba, especially among the tourists. There are several riding schools in the Zone Touristique of Djerba for those who are inexperied. I've quit of trying to ride the horse after one very experied guy from Slovenia had pretty bad accident. Actually, I saw a nasty wound on his left underknee and that stopped my temptation.

Paragliding

by croisbeauty Written Aug 20, 2005

paragliding

Woo hoo, I did it finally the other two guys from our group have convinced me to do it. What to say about, well it is very exiting and not scary at all, you just have to follow the instructions, especially those two who have commands for piloting. Oh yes, I am the one in the middle.
    The view from above is just unbeliveable, unfortunatelly I didn't take my camera with feeling not comfortable to do it.

• novsco61's Profile Photo

Riding Camels

by novsco61 Written Nov 9, 2004

Riding camels is one of the main attractions
    in these places. Be aware that you must negotiate for the price of riding. I paid 5 TD (about 3 Euro) from 10 minutes ride for my daughter. But it was worth.She enjoyed it very much.

If you take a look at the picture you will see that my daughter was very afraid at the start. But then she didn't wan't to descend from the camel.

• kbl's Profile Photo

Golf at Djerba

by kbl Written Sep 22, 2004

Koen driving the club car on the Djerba Golf

The golf course is not as spectacular as it is announced by the hotels. It has a 27-holes parcours (18 + 9).
    Hcp 30 or better required to start the (most beatifull) Les Palmiers

Equipment: Golf equipment can be rent on site.

• Golf
    • Luxury Travel

• novsco61's Profile Photo

Riding horses

by novsco61 Written Nov 9, 2004

Almost at every corner you can go riding. Arab horses are very beatiful and are trained to carry tourists. Just accross the road from our hotel you can go riding for 10 Euro for one hour.

Instant Answers: Ile de Jerba

Comments

Ile de Jerba Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Ile de Jerba sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ile de Jerba sightseeing.