Hammamet Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Hammamet

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Ramadan

by clouds111 Written Jun 23, 2007

Around the end of September we vistited Tunisia which also happened be to Ramadan. This doesn't cause too many difficulties, but an understanding of their customs help. The only difficulty some may come across will be the restaurants that do not open before sundown. Not really a problem for us as we generally go out later anyway.

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo

screened balconies

by yurxlnc Written Dec 19, 2005

screened balcony

In the Islamic world women are treasured and protected. So that strange men do not see them, they are hidden behind wooden screens or shuttered windows, where they can observe what is going on in secret. The screens [mashrabiya] are usually made of beautifully turned wood. The ones covering balconies can be seen all over the Arab world. I have seen them in Egypt, Suakin in Sudan, Morocco, Tunisia etc.

• Architecture

• quartinb's Profile Photo

chicha

by quartinb Updated Aug 22, 2005

"chicha" is the word for water pipe. a national instituition itself. smoking the water pipe is a must do. with a mint scent ,or any fruit scent no nicotine added, so no arm done to yur health. a tipical scene on local "cafés" and almost only a male custom. i was able to notice a couple of females smoking chicha but not on the front row. u should try it ,just for kicks. a tunisian costum to try and remember

• Aquarium

Rooftops

by croisbeauty Updated Oct 22, 2004

Rooftop in old medina

Most of the houses have built in and carefully arranged terraces on the rooftops where the locals spend their evening time enjoying in the fresh air and night wind from the sea before sleeping. Many of them, as I have been told, use to sleep on the terraces in the hot summer nights.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Taking picture of the Tunisian senior women

by croisbeauty Written Oct 5, 2004

The old women with tatoo on the hand

Most of the Tunisian women wont allowed you to take the picture, even if you ask it in polite way. I am not sure about, but it seems to me they have a kind of superstition about. I have tried to take the picture furtively, but she noticed what I was doing and the result is this very beautiful picture, one of the most dear to me I made in Tunisia.

Beach activities

by croisbeauty Written Oct 5, 2004

Swiming on the public beach in Hammamet

Hmmm, this wasn't an easy task to do, taking picture of the married Tunisian women while in the water. Most of the men watched me very carefully when I strolled on the beach with my camera so I couldn't take the picture in the normal way. Luckilly, I have camera with display which can be turned in all direction and the eyes couldn't see what I was shooting at.
    The custom is, as you can see, very rigid. Married women cannot enter in the water in, what we call, normal swiming costume. Brrr, what a way to refresh in the sea-water.

• Tea

by koalatte Written Jan 3, 2004

Wherever you'll go people will offer you a cup of tea and this is consider as an offense to refuse so always accept it. And if you don't like tea just act like you were drinking it.
    I sometimes had 3 teas within few hours so I developed this trick.

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo

buying flowers

by yurxlnc Written Dec 19, 2005

flower salesman

When certain plants are in flower, salesmen wander about hoping to sell a bouque or posy. They are relatively inexpensive; nbut fade quickly.

Instant Answers: Hammamet

Comments

Hammamet Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Hammamet local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hammamet sightseeing.