When strolling around, you'll see a lot of men with yasmine flower behind their left ear. If you ask for an explanation you'll get different answers. First what I was told, this is the sign which says the young guy is ready to get married and searching for a wife. Then I saw not only young guys wearing it, look at this picture.
The truth is, fresh yasmine flower has a very intensive aroma which can be feel for quite a long time and that is what men are doing when strolling around, smeling the flower.
- Family Travel
Many Asian and African countries, including Tunisia, are predominantly Muslim, so the religious sites you are most likely to encounter, are, predictably, mosques. This is a brief tip of advice, written from the point of view of a non-Muslim, female traveler (yours truly!!!):
- Do dress modestly, covering arms, legs, shoulders and the like, no frivolous dressing will be allowed. Hire the modest dress if needed;
- Check whether you are allowed into the mosque at all, since most of them admit you only into the courtyard, and some do not admit non-Muslims at all. However, in several countries you may be able to visit the interiors of many mosques;
- Respect the boundaries laid and do not attempt to enter further (I saw such a thing once, and it did arouse ill-feeling);
- If possible try to avoid going even to the courtyard on Friday afternoon, since I remember this is the most important praying time of the week;
- If you are curious, feel free to ask questions (though not of people hurrying to pray) and most likely you will be answered: I’ve always found people proud of their culture and heritage and ready to explain it;
- Do not criticize things we in Europe and in the West might (such as separate praying space for men and women), for such are the customs of the land and mosques are the least appropriate places for such topics.
This advice is based only on common sense, but it allowed me to see something of the mosques and learn loads of interesting info on Muslim countries, their religion, and culture. Really helped me when we had a general education class on religions at University:))
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Plenty of choices
- Agoda.com Save up to 75%, Don't miss! Live support, Instant confirmation.