Entebbe Restaurants

• grets's Profile Photo

Equation: A good cause

by grets Updated Apr 4, 2011

Matoke with Groundnut sauce

We have lunch in the Equation Café, where 100% of the profits go to Children living with AIDS Charity. The menu is short, but adequate, and I try the Matoke with Groundnut sauce. Matoke is the local staple food, a plantain-like banana which is prepared much in the same way as we would potato, and also tastes similar. The sauce is delicious. Sue and Gordon, our travelling companions, enjoy their vegetable-filled chapattis.

• grets's Profile Photo

Sophie's Motel, Entebbe: I'm afraid I stopped being adventurous by now....

by grets Written Sep 2, 2004

Dinner is very un-traditional burger and fish fingers with French Fries and I am ashamed to say I enjoy it a lot! Much as I am always keen to try local specialities, when you are not feeling well, familiar foods are very agreeable. Having a beer at the table with Sue and Gordon after dinner, we become acutely aware that the staff really would like to close up and go home, despite the fact that it is only about 21.30, so we adjourn to our room with a couple of bottles of the local brew.

• muguruki's Profile Photo

Catch 21 2009: Where's the catch?

by muguruki Written Jun 2, 2009

Catch 21 over the last 9 years has changed its name slightly on more than one occasion. It’s been ‘New’ and now it is ‘2009’. It’ pretty much the same place and is the centre of attention in the Kitoro part of Entebbe, being right around the corner from the taxi park helps with a steady flow of customers. The food has always been good but perhaps at the moment at least maybe a bit expensive for Kitoro.

In its newest incarnation the Catch 21 has 3 big screens for watching football and it is now possible to bet on the outcome of these games as well as some obscure games in Brazil and the even the Dutch eerste divisie.

If I’m in Kitoro and want a Ugandan meal I tend to go to roadside bar/restaurant around the corner from Uplands Supermarket and behind the petrol station. I can get what I want here usually fresh beans, kaloo and lumonde. It’s also cheaper, around 1,500 UGX.

Airport bar: Expensive ale

by muguruki Updated Jun 2, 2009

The most expensive beer I bought on my recent trip was again at Entebbe Airport.

5,000 UGX for a Pilsner!!!!

The cheapest Pilsner I bought on this trip was 1,000 UGX in Bududa.................. Bududa oye!

• muguruki's Profile Photo

4 point: and the point is what?

by muguruki Updated Feb 18, 2010

Expensive Indian run bar restaurant that seems to live off customers coming straight from the airport, either people working there or passengers straight off the flight. Because of the close proximity to the airport they seem quite happy to except payment in US$.

Favorite Dish: The cakes in the ajoining bakery looked very tempting.

Pando’s: Filipino Restaurant in Entebbe

by muguruki Written Feb 15, 2010

I ate here last time I was in Entebbe and on that occasion I ate Kalo and beans. It was the usual Ugandan eatery selling perfectly acceptable local food.

Recently the place has been taken over by a group of Filipinos. The place has had more than a lick of paint and now as well as the local Ugandan food they now sell Chinese and Filipino food.

If you are that way inclined after a meal and a couple of beers you can grab the microphone and croon your way through some of your favourite karaoke numbers. I noticed that half of songs listed in the book to go with the karaoke machine were in Tagalog. You would be lucky to grab the mike when I was there as the Filipino owners seemed to take turns in attempting a Phil Collins song.

Street Food: Got the time for a Rolex

by muguruki Written Sep 2, 2009

Not exactly a restaurant but as soon as I arrive in UG I can't wait for a Rolex. Rolex is the Ugandan street food you can get anywhere in the country made form a 2 egg omelette wrapper up in a freshly fried chapatti usually with a handful of salad thrown in.

Instant Answers: Entebbe

Comments

Entebbe Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Entebbe restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Entebbe sightseeing.