Kampala Off The Beaten Path

New Taxi park
    by petersnice
  • Ali and Matt standing on different hemispheres !
    Ali and Matt standing on different...
    by kentishgirl
    plaque
    by yurxlnc

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Kampala

• muguruki's Profile Photo

Tropical Bank

by muguruki Updated May 24, 2008

Not off the beaten track but in the middle of Kampala road is the Tropical bank. I have written this tip here coz i think most people pass this place by unless you had like I do an interest in banknotes and coins. The front of the building is covered in a mural depicting various coinages used throughout the world since the year dot, sadly some of it has been covered up by a new ATM machine. Film buffs and those of you with eagle eyes may recognise it as appearing in one of the early scenes in the film "Last King of Scotland" pre ATM machine.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Naalya

by croisbeauty Written Aug 17, 2007

Naalya

This is Naalya, suburb of Kampala where I stayed for almost two weeks. Apart of bad weather conditions I spend pleasant time here surrounded with nice people in my neighborhood. They called me "mzungu" (whiteman) and I almost felt like being a part of their community......

• petersnice's Profile Photo

Owino market

by petersnice Updated Apr 2, 2007

New Taxi park

I've read somewhere that Owino is the biggest market in whole Africa and there was also a documentary made about this market titled "Heart of Kampala". Market plus adjoining area around both taxi parks is full od stals and shopping arcades and whole "shopping" area really is huge. I've enjoyed my walks around there immensely. You do get tired of kids screaming
    "mzungu mzungu" (tourists are rarely seen there) but people are very friendly, perhaps a bit pushy (brother come see my shoes, brother come see my bags, brother come see my t-shirts etc).

You should be aware of pickpockets but I've had no bad experience and believe me, I 've spend a lot of time there. Head to Parkside Inn's airy terrace for a chilly beer after shopping, but avoid time when Premiership matches are on - Ugandans are great fans and the place will be full, you could even get in troubles wearing a wrong t-shirt!

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

The Equator!

by kentishgirl Written Jan 21, 2007

Ali and Matt standing on different hemispheres !

Okay so this isnt actually in Kampala City but was on our way from Kampala to Lake Bunyoni, I just put it here as I diddnt know where else to put it!

The Equator spans a few countries of the world and one of them in Uganda, of course they cash in on this fact and there are shops and a cafe at the site.
    The site is literally along the road, and you wot miss it - stand on the circle and stand on the southern and northern hemispehere at the same time - tacky I guess but really cool at the same time!

They have a man here who has some flower heads, a bowl and water - he demonstrates how the water goes a different way down the plug when he is standing on the northern and then on the southern hemisphere - I was suprised to see that it was really different! Lol.

There is a shop here too that I cant remember the name of, but its all for charity so take a peek around.

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo

Visit the source of the White Nile

by yurxlnc Updated Nov 14, 2006

History

In the 19th century there were many expeditions trying to find the source of the Nile. Many famous names are associated with such expeditions : Burton, Speke, Livingstone, Stanley, Samuel Baker and others.
    A source was found originating in Lake Victoria. The actual spot where Speke stood is now submerged, but a plaque and poster mark the area.
    The views are spectacular, and you can see early bridge and the new bridge,

See also my travelogue.

• Business Travel

• Zanzibargirl's Profile Photo

Walking the Equatorial Line

by Zanzibargirl Written Oct 16, 2004

Me on the border

1 Degree from Kampala in map terms lies the Equator crossing in Uganda. There you can stand in the centre of the earth, walk the line like a tightrope (quickly as there are crazy hoons on that highway), get your pic taken in the Equatorial circle markers and watch water turn clockwise on the south, anticlockwise on the north and go straight down in the centre. You kinda do feel like you are in the centre of the world standing on the point and for me being at the start of my journey it was a real crossing point marking lots to come for the future....

• hanspeter_W.'s Profile Photo

have a look outside on countryside

by hanspeter_W. Written Oct 5, 2003

ugandan cattles

explore the countryside with the plenty of green vegetation..huge cattle farms and the original houses

Instant Answers: Kampala

Comments

Kampala Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Kampala off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kampala sightseeing.