Kampala Restaurants

by DAO

Most Recent Restaurants in Kampala

Govinda's: Pure Veggie

by muguruki Updated Feb 20, 2013

Proper Hare Krishna joint this. Nice atmosphere to eat in excellent food.

This place seems to get better. I spent far too much time eating here. Buffet lunch is excellent loads of pure vegetarian dishes plus chas for 8,000 UGX. On Sundays the meal will cost you 10,000 UGX as they throw in dhokla and a desert usually Gulab Jamu!

Had a shock last time I went to Govinda's in Jan 2013. The price of a thali has almost doubled since I was last here. 15,000 and 17,000 on a Sunday!

Favorite Dish: The full thali with paneer, 3 veg dishes, farsan, papad, chapati, rice, butter milk and some Gulab jamu to finish off, Yummmmm!

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

Rock Garden Bar & Restaurant: Kampala Nightlife

by Africancrab Written Dec 31, 2012

Rock Gardens is a open pub in the heart of the city, it is run by the Speke hotel management. It used to be one of my favorite nightlife spots. It does get pretty busy over the weekends, it is located right in the heart of the city center and right next to the restaurants and across from the Sheraton Kampala Hotel. Part of the club is actually a restaurant. It has a large, open dance floor with open seating on the outer lay. Prior to 9/11, it was a great place for the expatriate community to socialize together with well to-do Ugandans. They have good DJs and the music is great, an open bar serves a large crowd. No admission to the bar, and drinks are relatively affordable.

• SOHO cafe & grill: A SOHO experience in Africa

by jojikan Updated Mar 31, 2011
    SOHO as seen from the road or entrance to the buil

Recently while driving around K'la city i Stumble across a Soho sign on a new building along the golf course area, curious i ventured inside. Having looked over the drink menu that was handed to me at SoHo Cafe and Grill on Yusuf Lule road in Kampala and with the encouragement of the Manager I opted for an espresso sundae.
    As the name suggests the drink is made of coffee, ice cream and nuts.
    After being assured that the drink will take five minutes to make and being skeptical about the timing (it would not be the first time I had been disappointed by service in kampala,though never yet at this cafe) I sat down to wait for my drink.
    True to the waiter's word, my drink was sitting in front of me five minutes later with a long teaspoon to go with it. Having never had this drink before but knowing that a teaspoon is for scooping, I proceeded to attack the drink with the cream sitting on top of the cup and the now cold chilled coffee below. And yes was refreshing on a hot afternoon! Before long I had no doubt that there was some whisky present on the counter for liqueur coffees.
    I would espresso sundae to the ladies on any occasion especially after a hearty grilled meal. the terrace that overlooks uganda golf course makes for quite a view accompanied by some jazz music in the background. The place is fairly new in town no much distraction and noise common in high traffic coffee shops. it's a good spot if you're looking to relax with a good book. Well that is what I would recommend anyway.

Favorite Dish: "SOHO signature dish"

Made of skinned spring chicken, fried with ghee in an african brick oven. served sweet mash and a strange but tasty blue cheese sauce.

The espresso sundae did it for me! really superb (guess its coz the afternoon was particularly hot)

• Business Travel
    • Singles

• The Lawns Restaurant: Great food - amazing game meat options

by tim_challer Updated Oct 6, 2010

The Lawns restaurant is located in Kololo - a porsche location next to downtown area, 10 min drive from all important locations in Kampala. The restaurant is setup in large matured garden. Dining area & Bar are tastefully constructed/decorated, giving a feel of country side restaurant.

Take your drinks in Bar, dinner in dining area and desert in their garden lounge. Its an awesome experience at The Lawns.

Favorite Dish: Ostrich Burger
    Sizzling Kudu
    Crocodile Tikka Masala
    Apple Pie

Ponnus Restaurant: Ponnus Restaurant in Kampala

by georeiser Written Jul 30, 2010
    Ponnus Restaurant in Kampala

Ponnus Restaurant is a Lebanese fastfood restaurant with good and cheap food.
    They serve breakfast, snacks, sandwiches, burgers, pizza, tandori bread and Lebanese food like Hommos, Falafel, Fattoush, Taboule.
    Water, coke: 1000 UGS (0,5 USD)
    Beer: 2500 UGS (1 USD)

Favorite Dish: Burger, coke and African tea (see pictures)

My Chuchi: My Chuchi bar & Restaurant

by georeiser Updated Jul 30, 2010
    My Chuchi bar & Restaurant in Kampala

Steak 18800,- UGS (8,5 USD)
    Beer 3000,- UGS (1,5 USD)
    Coke: 2500,- UGS (1 USD)

My Chuchi bar & Restaurant is a small eating place in Kabalagala where you can eat European food. The place is expensive compared to African standards, but it's popular due to the quality of the food. The place is owned by a swiss man.

Favorite Dish: Steak

Ethiopian Village: Ethiopian Village in Kampala

by georeiser Written Jul 30, 2010
    Ethiopian Village in Kampala

Ethiopian Village is a popular restaurant that serves Ethiopian traditional cuisine. The restaurant is located 3-400 metres up Tank Hill Road.
    I was here one month before the terror bomb exploded in the restaurant during the Football World cup in July 2010.

Favorite Dish: Injera

• Photography

• The Lawns Restaurant: Amazing food in Kampala

by Gammel Written Jul 27, 2010

I was recently in Uganda on Safari trip, and stayed in Kampala for one week. I was invited to a party by one of my friend at The Lawns restaurant. I was amazed by the quality of service & food at The Lawns during the Party. We were served variety of finger foods along with cocktails & other drinks. The most exciting part of the party was, the whole Crocodile tail was being grilled in front of us on barbeque, and then served to us with some tangy sauce.

It was an amazing party and very well managed by Lawns management. I went to Lawns again for dinner on my own next day. I was pretty amazed by the wide variety of food options they have to offer, and from various parts of the world. It was difficult for me to decide my food order. But the Executive Chef - a white south african, guided me and offered me Game meat delicacies - Kudu Poppers, Crocodile in Garlic Wine Sauce with Rice in main and freshly made Apple Pie in dessert. Everything was excellent. I was very impressed by their presentation of food, and timing for serving. I visited the place two more time before I left Kampala. I love this place and look forward to visit Kampala again.

Favorite Dish: Kudu Poppers - Kudu cubes wrapped in bacon & grilled to perfection: what a combination; great starter
    Grilled Rack of Ribs with Peri Peri sauce: great starter
    Tandoori Chicken - best Tandoori Chicken I have ever ate anywhere
    Cafreal Tilapia

• The Lawns Restaurant: Great Steaks, Burger & Mixed Grill Platter

by johan_kemp Written Mar 20, 2010

Amazing Menu.. Lawns offers wide range of food from across the world. The Menu is very interesting. Offers lots of fusion food delights.... Best service in the town- the moment you enter the restaurant premises, you are guided by front of house and escorted to your table or bar, then service staff takes over and guides you through maze of food & drinks options. Wide range of steaks, burgers, grilled meat and Game meat. When the food arrived, I was amazed with the portion size and presentation. Beautiful crockery. The garden is beautiful, and decoration of the restaurant is very much like Country side restaurant. Overall I had amazing experience.

Favorite Dish: Mixed Grill Platter, Ostrich Burger, Kudu Poppers, Springbok fingers and Lawns Super Steak

• The Lawns Restaurant: The best Game Meat in Kampala

by john_gilard Updated Mar 3, 2010
    The Lawns Restaurant

I travel to East Africa - Nairobi, Dar, Kampala and other cities, frequently. I have ate at Carnovore many times- but sadly it is no more a game meat restaurant. Recently I found about this high end International restaurant - The Lawns, in Kololo, Kampala. They serve wide variety of international cuisine, especially Game Meat. I have visited 3-4 times to The Lawns by now, and every time tried different varieties of game meat dishes - Crocodile Tikka, Sizzling Kudu, Impala Steak, etc. I suggest their Game Meat Platter is the best starter dish, followed by one of their game meat steak or game meat curry dishes. Lovely ambiance, good selection of wine and most importantly great service!!! Thumbs up to The Lawns.

Favorite Dish: Game Meat Platter, Sizzling Kudu, Crocodile in Pineapple Chilli sauce, Wild Tandoori Platter (Game meat in Indian tandoori style -- great combination)

• Business Travel

Hot Loaf Bakery: Use your loaf

by muguruki Updated Feb 26, 2010

Hot Loaf Bakery is possibly the best bakers in the capital. I quite often popped in to The Hot Loaf and bought a vegetable samosa or a veg pizza, the latter a lot smaller and more expensive than it is from the branches up country.

There are 2 branches of Hot Loaf Bakery that I know of in Kampala, one on Ben Kiwanuka st and another not far from Nakasero Market on Dastur Street.

Ngabi: Top Cuppa!

by muguruki Written Feb 26, 2010

Uganda grows a lot of coffee, almost anywhere in the country over a certain altitude it’s not unusual to see berries reddening on coffee bushes. So it is surprising that when ordering a coffee in a local café/hoteli you will be probably be given a cup of hot water or a mixture of hot water and milk or even in some cases a cup of tea to which you are suppose to add Nescafe coffee powder that is also provided.

For all coffee addicts like me, if you wanted your fix of caffeine you had to head to one of the better hotel restaurants such as the Speke Hotel and then pay over the odds for a decent cuppa. One exception to this is 1,000 cups on Buganda Street.

Another and more affordable alternative is the Ngabi Restaurant in Cooper Complex. The poster on the wall advertises a wide range of ‘proper’ coffee with some strangely Teutonic sounding names.

The coffee here is very good and a fraction of what you would pay for something similar at the Speke. I always plumped for an Espresso which varied in price whoever served me, I queried the price on a few occasions but one waitress insisted it was 1,000 and another insisted it was 1,500. They do have one of those magnificent oversized Italian made coffee machines from where the coffee decants making all the right noises. I asked the manageress one day what coffee she used she didn’t know from where in UG the coffee came but did say it was 100% Arabica.

• muguruki's Profile Photo

Mum's: Nothing like my mum's cooking

by muguruki Updated Feb 24, 2010

Top meal I had here. There was a real good choice of meals me being a Veggie so very awkward to please I was presented with a vast choice of meals all available.

My default meal in an Indian is usually saag paneer and that's what I plumped for with a huge garlic naan. Excellent value, good service, tasty food.

Only problem if any was that my chair was a tad too low for the table I was eating from.

Jiddah: Peas

by muguruki Updated Feb 22, 2010

Many a time in Kampala I ate at this place just round the corner form where I was staying. I would usually plump for the peas or beans for lunch always served with the full range of foods,
    sweet potato, posho, rice, pumpkin, matoke yam and some greens.

The passion juice here when it was available is lovely.

• muguruki's Profile Photo

The Kabalagala Man: Eeeh, Macarena!

by muguruki Written Feb 15, 2010

Not a restaurant but a snack seller in the street.

If you have spent any amount of time in Uganda's fine capital you will have come across the spotlessly white 4- wheel drive vehicle with white seats parked by the sid eof the road with the back door open and a young chappie selling Kabalagala out of the back. Like an ice cream van in the UK might play a nursery rhyme, in UG the Kabalagala man plays 'Macarena'

For years it was an old boy selling the burger sized cassava and banana based snacks form this car but since his death one of his sons has taken over the business and can be found in various spots around the capital.

Favorite Dish: Kabalagala what else!

Instant Answers: Kampala

Comments

Kampala Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kampala restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kampala sightseeing.