Kampala Shopping

• my friend and I in two of our great new dresses!
    my friend and I in two of our great new...
    by amyd23

Most Recent Shopping in Kampala

• amyd23's Profile Photo

Kyaligonza: fashionable dresses at Kyalingoza

by amyd23 Written May 29, 2012

my friend and I in two of our great new dresses!

My friend and I each bought two dresses at Kyaligonza on Kibuli road in Kampala. The store is run by the ladies who made the dresses, and they altered them while we waited, and we got to chat with them about men & fashion ... one of the most authentic cultural experiences in Kampala!

What to buy: these dresses were gorgeous!

What to pay: $50-$70 USD for a full length dress

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Owino marked: Owino marked in dowtown

by georeiser Updated Jul 30, 2010

Owino marked in Kampala

Owino marked is one of the biggest markeds in Africa with a lot of items. Even if you should not buy something, it's worth visit the place.

The marked for second hand and used clothing is famous due to its sice and the number of customers. Since most of the people in Uganda are poor they can not afford new clothes. Bargaining is the way to the business.

What to buy: I bought 2 used jeans for 35000 UGS (16 USD).

What to pay: Remember to bargain. Especially if you are a Mzungo (white man). The prices should be around 1/2 of the beginning price.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Photography

Dollar House Forex Bureau Ltd: Best rates for the £

by muguruki Updated Apr 19, 2010

Out of all the FOREX bureau's in Kampala the best rates this time (May 2009) were at Dollar House. The next best rates I found were at Half East and they are conveneintly next to each other at King Fahad Plaza.

What to pay: It's worth asking if you get a better rate for changing large amounts. It has worked for me in the past.

Supermarkets: Super duper

by muguruki Written Apr 19, 2010

Supermarket

Supermarkets are not the kind of place I go to regularly while I’m in Kampala but on the odd occasion I have found things like bed bug spray which I struggled to find at some of the local shops. But always before I fly back to the UK I’ll go to a supermarket to stock up on some goodies to take home.

If you are entering Kampala after arriving from the airport you will no doubt see Shoprite supermarket near the Clock Tower. The South African owned shop is not exactly my favourite place to shop. Far too much imported produce and not exactly the cheapest either. Uchumi and Nakumatt are two Kenyan owned supermarkets both situated just out of the centre of town in Garden city both really well stocked with goods but unfortunately I was unable to find my favourite Kenyan coffee at either last time I was in town.

There are a couple of great supermarkets in Old Kampala that cater for the local communities of the area and are full of some really exotic Indian spices and foods.

Capitol is my favourite Supermarket in Kampala. It is situated near Nakivubo Market. In the past I have stocked up here on Coffee, mazigo and waragi before I go home. It is also the cheapest place I have found for Marmite!!!

Somewhere in Owino: A world of leather

by muguruki Updated Feb 22, 2010

In the depths of Owino market or as it is now called St. Balikuddembe market is a fine stall that over the last couple of years I have spent a fair bit of money.

Last year I bought a box leather jacket black made from real heavy leather it must have originated from the States by the look of the label. It was like nearly all clothes in Owino second hand but in really good nick only a small repair to the top left pocket was needed which can also be done in the market. the jacket after some haggling cost me 40,000, in Uganda quite a bit of money but a jacket like that back in the UK would have cost a lot more than the £12 I paid.

This February before coming home I checked the stall out again just incase. Wanting something different I picked up short brown French made leather zip jacket with very little sign of wear for 25,000. Absolute bargain!!!

1,000s of identical shops: Clobber

by muguruki Updated Jun 5, 2009

Kampala seems to have a brand new shopping mall every time I arrive in the city. There are 1,000s of identical shops like the one in the photo that somehow manage to do enough business to keep going. A lot of them like this deal in cheaply made Chinese clothing or clothing made locally from bitenge or Indonesian printed fabrics or various other vikoi and kangas.

What to pay: I bought what was called a "free dress" complete with matching scarf for 22,000 UGX

Owino Market: Shopping at the biggest market in Uganda

by muguruki Written Jun 4, 2009

Buy some odd curios and traditional stuff from this wonderfull woman. I bought some top plant pots from her. (she does open her eyes ocaisionaly).
    I can spend hours walking around Owino looking at the second hand clothes, some of the bizzare hardware and buying the odd bag of mangoes.

What to buy: This year before leaving I bought myself a really nice leather jacket for the equivalent of what in the UK would be £12. Top bargain!

Craft market: Craffty Buggers

by muguruki Written Jun 4, 2009

I think most visitors to Kampala will sometime end up at the craft market near the national theatre. A lot of the stalls are filled with tourist tat and if I do venture this way I usually only end up visiting stall 32 which is the only stall that sells Congolese masks which I am quite partial to.

What to buy: A well as masks the last time I was at the market I was well tempted to buy what they call "matumbo" which are used in Congo to aid fertility!!! One of these would have looked great on my wall a lack of funds stopped me buying the one I wanted.

FOREX: Sente, sente

Phone Kampala

Musicraft Forex Bureau Ltd, Kampala
    P.O Box 197,
    Plot 28 Kampala Road

What to pay: Rates change from day to day but are usually printed in the local papers.

• DAO's Profile Photo

GARDEN CITY: THE LARGEST SHOPPING CENTRE IN UGANDA

by DAO Updated Feb 11, 2008

Garden City is a one-stop-shop sort of place. Protected by large dinosaurs, it offers everything from clothing stores to restaurants. It’s very easy to get here by shared taxi or motorcycle taxi and there is lots of free parking if you are driving. The massive complex includes:

Restaurants (Ranchers, Kyoto, Food Court)
    Clothes & shoe shops
    Souvenir shops
    Banks

• Business Travel

• muguruki's Profile Photo

Antiquities: So geographers, in Africa maps....

by muguruki Written Nov 19, 2007

Small shop chock a block with antiques, old Africana books, jewellery, really old sepia postcards, Maps and engravings. What I find most interesting are the African banknotes from the year dot to the present day. They also stock old coins not just from Uganda or East Africa but also from all over the continent.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Around Old Taxi Park: The motto is, buy and sell

by croisbeauty Written Sep 6, 2007

Market place

The huge area around Old Taxi Park is the most pitoresque part of Kampala, especially during the day-lights. There are great number of molls and small shops together with green and fruit market. Every centimeter of a ground is used for a trade, even the pavements. The whole area is overcrowded by both, people and cars, struggling for own piece of turf. It looks chaotic and crazy.

What to buy: Here locals can buy everything they need, food, cloths or home needs. Since am in the clothing business, was in particularly interested to check for the cloths. What to say about, poor fabrics, bad styling and law quality of production, that is all I could see around.
    The next what amazed me are great number of shops selling cell phones. All this shops are held by Indians who sell second hand phones which costs a fortune. Most of the cell phones are very old types but still, the price is much too high.

Nakasero Market

by muguruki Updated May 24, 2007

There are some wild looking fruit for sale at Nakasero market. What I do recognise that might be worth buying that you might not find elsewhere would be vanilla and cocoa.

There are also a few persistent young scallies hanging around trying to sell you weed, that can be the only drawback about Nakasero market.

What to buy: Fruit, veg and grasshoppers (ssenene).

• maharaja_joe's Profile Photo

Near the taxi stand: Street shops

by maharaja_joe Updated Mar 27, 2007

I think its called the Owino market. This market is a maze of booths that go on and on. You can get everything from fake Sony/Sonny/Soney radios, homemade irons, and used clothes from US/Europe. This is a good place to also buy cheap arts and crafts and eat the local food. This market surrounds the taxi stand, where you can see more than a hundred matatus waiting for customers. It will take you atleast an hour to walk through the market.

Everything is cheap to begin with, and you can bring it down by atleast 20 percent. Please take care to be respectful and cheerful when you negotiate the price. Ugandans are friendly to begin with, and will give you a good price if they like you.

What to buy: I bought some bottle-openers at one of the crafts shop. The Ugandan bottle opener looks like a smoking pipe with a nail embedded in it, and is a cool souvenier. The crafts shops meant for tourists were charging me between USh 10000 to USh 15000 for a bottle-opener made of ebony wood.

Being on a tight budget, I just wanted one made of normal wood. Unfortunately none of the regular grocery stores or supermarkets carried them any longer. I could find one here for USh 3000, which came down to USh 2000 after a little bit of bargaining. Its tough to pinpoint the location of the store because the whole place is a maze of shops.

• maharaja_joe's Profile Photo

Garden City: Upscale shopping

by maharaja_joe Updated Mar 27, 2007

Garden city, seen from the parking lot

Its a shopping complex, and the last time I went, they were building a multi-storeyed parking lot. From Ipods to barbeques, Garden City is a city within a city. I went there with a friend to buy an mp3 player. We got a 1GB player (no name brand, but looked really cool) for almost USD 100. The food court serves Lebanese, Italian, Indian, and many other cuisines.

Another upscale supermarket store is Shoprite Checkers in Lugogo, on the Jinja road.

What to buy: Mostly upscale stuff, or things you would not find in a normal street-side store.

What to pay: Slightly more than normal.

Instant Answers: Kampala

Comments

Kampala Shopping

Reviews and photos of Kampala shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kampala sightseeing.