Kampala Shopping

• my friend and I in two of our great new dresses!
    my friend and I in two of our great new...
    by amyd23

• muguruki's Profile Photo

Supermarkets: Super duper

by muguruki Written Apr 19, 2010

Supermarket

Supermarkets are not the kind of place I go to regularly while I’m in Kampala but on the odd occasion I have found things like bed bug spray which I struggled to find at some of the local shops. But always before I fly back to the UK I’ll go to a supermarket to stock up on some goodies to take home.

If you are entering Kampala after arriving from the airport you will no doubt see Shoprite supermarket near the Clock Tower. The South African owned shop is not exactly my favourite place to shop. Far too much imported produce and not exactly the cheapest either. Uchumi and Nakumatt are two Kenyan owned supermarkets both situated just out of the centre of town in Garden city both really well stocked with goods but unfortunately I was unable to find my favourite Kenyan coffee at either last time I was in town.

There are a couple of great supermarkets in Old Kampala that cater for the local communities of the area and are full of some really exotic Indian spices and foods.

Capitol is my favourite Supermarket in Kampala. It is situated near Nakivubo Market. In the past I have stocked up here on Coffee, mazigo and waragi before I go home. It is also the cheapest place I have found for Marmite!!!

Instant Answers: Kampala

Comments

Kampala Shopping

Reviews and photos of Kampala shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kampala sightseeing.