Kitgum Travel Guide

Storm clouds looming over Kitgum
  • Things to Do

Kitgum Things to Do

by muguruki Written Dec 14, 2010

I was really pleasantly surprised to find a swimming pool up here in the North of Uganda. The pool at the Bomah was not so big but very welcome all the same.

Pool 5,000 UGX

Sadly there were no sun beds so you can rule out slobbing for hours in the sun unless you fancy stretching out on the floor or drape yourself over a chair.

I first arrived at the Bomah Hotel on a Sunday where the girl who did the massage was well keen for me to have a sauna

Kitgum Restaurants

by muguruki Written Dec 9, 2010

After a long walk out of town then having a swim at the pool on the Bomah Hotel I had worked up a really good appetite. I was happy to eat anywhere but was so lucky that I stumbled into the Broadway Hotel. The restaurant dealt mainly in local dishes so I was glad I could order Malakwang and laiyatta (sweet potato) washed down with a bottle of Stoney.

The Malakwang was excellent! I couldn’t even finish the sizeable meal.

It was so good I came back the next day and had the exact same meal and it was as good as the previous day.

Favorite Dish: Malakwang @ 2,000 UGX

Kitgum Transportation

by muguruki Updated Dec 11, 2010

The first bus in the morning to Kitgum leaves the main (Qualicel) bus park in Kampala at around 7:30 - 8 o'clock in the morning. It will only leave when it is full so this time varies a bit but everyone I asked seemed to think this is about the time it leaves.

I arrived at the bus park just after 8 and missed it so had a near 2 hour wait for the next bus to fill and leave.

If you are catching the bus from Gulu this bus will reach Gulu for the onward journey to Kitgum at around 1 o'clock. The tarmac ends at the edge of Gulu town so the bus is probably the best way to go.

If you want to leave in the morning there are a few taxi mini-buses that do the trip but I was warned against them as they take long and are not as good on the unpaved road as the larger coaches.

Instant Answers: Kitgum

Comments

Kitgum Travel Guide
Map of Kitgum