Mbarara Travel Guide

• Mbarara
    So that is why it's called the lake view

Mbarara Things to Do

by muguruki Updated Feb 15, 2010

The Lake View Hotel swimming pool is open to non-residents I think I paid 5,000. I was also told Rwizi Arch has a pool but the one at Lake View is supposedly better. The LVH is a tad out of town in the area past Rwebekona. I'm sure it gets its name because the area is on a corner / kona; look out for the bizarrely named 'John Major Restaurant'. You can walk it or get a boda, my boda back t town cost a mere 1,500.

I never entered the place but from outside it is a nice looking hotel. It has its own gardens with a small lake infront of the hotel that seems to attract the local bird life.

So that is why it's called the lake view

Mbarara Restaurants

by muguruki Written Apr 23, 2010

Good traditional African eatery selling all the usual Ugandan staples in huge quantities.

Service was excellent in this busy local place near the market. Similarly as good and as cheap I found was the Western Hotel right across the road from this place

Favorite Dish: Toast. yeah proper toast I struggle to find a slice of toast in Kampala or else where in UG but in Mbarara and the west I had no trouble getting a slice.

by muguruki Written Feb 17, 2010

I guess this place is part of the Hot loaf Bakery group that I see in a couple of places in Kampala.

The food here is obviously the same as the shops in the capital but the prices were definitely different. I paid 1,800 for a good sized veggie pizza here in Mbarara; it was lovely so good I bought one the next day as well. In Kampala a smaller version of the Veggie pizza cost me 2,500. Kampala aye!

There are a few tables to eat and drink at this branch but asking for tea without milk seemed to cause a problem in Mbarara heart of the cattle rearing part of the country. I had to wait about 20 minutes I'm sure for them to boil some water.

by muguruki Updated Feb 15, 2010

Little gem of a place. I ate here on my last day in Mbarara and was tempted to stay another night just so I could have a meal at this fine eating establishment.

Think of Ugandan food then think of it with more taste rather than the bland stodge that can be served up in an Ugandan eatery. Then think of a plate of unusual flavoured salads served a long side your meal. Then wash it down with a glass of passion juice that isn't sweetened with a kilo sugar or possibly a beetroot juice.

Ahaha, that is what this place is like.

Favorite Dish: The peas were great!

Mbarara Nightlife

by muguruki Updated Apr 23, 2010

The place to go to in Mbarara town for nightlife is Bananuka Rd. On this street there are a few bog standard bars such as Sabs Guest house bar, a couple of quite impressively large places to go if you want to dance the night away such as Another life Disco and Vision Empire Night Club. My favourite watering hole on Bananuka Rd and in fact in the whole of Mbarara is the Blue ice View.

The Blue ice View is an airy bar with slightly on the rough side with the obligatory pool tables and TV showing Premiership football. There is also a busy kitchen here that churns out fried food such as chicken and chips.

In and around the main drag there are a couple of pubs. Nico’s is in a basement just off the main street down an ally is quite a smart boozer. In a small street side bar on the main street itself is Pub Memory which only seems to get busy from 10 at night and is pretty much a bar full of working girls. My most memorable thing about this place was a girl sideling up to me with the greetings
    “How are you? How is your life?
    Then she came out with
    “Have far you come with your activities at large?” …..Weird!

Instant Answers: Mbarara

Comments

Mbarara Travel Guide
Map of Mbarara