Moroto Shopping

• Shopping
    by muguruki

Best Rated Shopping in Moroto

• muguruki's Profile Photo

Moroto market: What an experience!

by muguruki Updated Feb 15, 2010

Love the market and surrounding area here in Moroto. Not really for the things to buy but for the colourfulness and friendliness of the buyers and sellers in the market.

It was not only that I'm white that made me stand out in the market but I was possibly one of the few people there that wasn't wearing a blanket and didn't have a face full of tribal scars.

What to buy: The local beer that is sold in jerry cans by the cup full was tasty and a bargain.

I also bought a small amount of resin that had been collected form trees on the mountain and had solidified. It is used locally like a kind of incense and you will probably smell it being burnt as you walk around the market. A large egg sized blob of resin cost me 500UGX.

As well as fruit and veg on the market sniffing tobacco seems to sell well.

• muguruki's Profile Photo

Beneath the big tree in the main drag: Stools 'R' us

by muguruki Updated Mar 3, 2010

In the centre of the main drag in Moroto there is a large tree and underneath this tree during daytime you will see a few blokes selling wooden stools of various sizes. I always fancied one of the small stools that you see Karamojong and Turkana blokes walking around with that they use for pillows/neck rests as well as stools to sit on in the middle of the bush.

I asked the price of the stool then told the guy selling them I'd go and have some breakfast. When I came from the cafe the guy was waiting for me and immediately offered the stool to me at a lower price 2,000 UGX, a bargain I thought so I bought it. This is the one on the left in the photo.

About half an hour later a bloke approached me in the street and offered me his own well worn stool which was a slightly different shape This was a much better stool that was varnished not with conventional varnish but the Karamajong rub in mzigo (ghee) to give the stools a nice veneer and also give it added strength (this the stool on the right). We haggled and I evetually parted with 3'500 UGX for the stool. The old boy seemed more than delighted with the deal and so was I.

What to buy: The blanket that they are laid out on, I also bought in Moroto. That was bought from a stall in the small market that is in the main drag that sells all manufactured goods rather than the larger market the other side of town that specializes in fresh produce.

The blanket is Kenyan made and cost me 9,500 UGX.

Instant Answers: Moroto

Comments

Moroto Shopping

Reviews and photos of Moroto shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Moroto sightseeing.