Moyo Travel Guide

• Hotels
  • Nightlife

Moyo Restaurants

by muguruki Written Jul 24, 2013

I ate a couple of times in Moyo near the bus stage and had some exceptable meals all around 2,500 UGX but after having an evening meal at the multipurpose training centre that is where I ate every night. They serve a lot of meat and the only veg dish they served was beans but you could order that with either rice, chapti, chips, matoke boiled potatoes or a combination of all the above. In uganda you can have beans or you can have beans but hey the beans here were good.

Favorite Dish: Mighty fine beans!

Moyo Nightlife

by muguruki Written Jul 24, 2013

I eneded up spending all my evenings in the bar of Moyo multipurpose training centre and often had one or two scoops in the afternoon as well. There are other bars in town but the electricity supply in this part of UG is a bit patchy and quite often if I had a beer in anywhere other than the multipurpose it would be either warm or just cool. Whereas every beer I drank at multipurpose was ice cold and the beers were the same price everywhere I went in Moyo be thw beer warm or "baridi kama barafu". Whatsmore everyday I would ask for my favourite Ugandan tipple 'Pilsner' even though I could see through the glass doors of the fridge that they didn't have any, but on my last day in Moyo the lovely Lugbara lady that ran the bar and restaurant (forgotten her name) had ordered a crate of Pilsner especially for me, bless her.

Being connected to the church I was half expecting the bar to be a tad conservative but not a bit of it, I always felt realaxed in there as did the gaggle of nuns that used to pop in and have a giggle over a beer and a plate of liver and chips.

Moyo Transportation

by muguruki Written Jul 3, 2013

Nile Coach, Friends and Zawadi bus all ply the route between Moyo and the capital leaving early in the morning.

As well as these big coaches several smaller vehicles leave the centre of Moyo to Yumbe, Koboko and Arua in one direction as well as transport the short distance north over the border to Kiri in South Sudan and also shared cars that do the route to Adjumani and then Nimule on the South Sudan border.

Moyo Local Customs

by muguruki Written Jun 12, 2013

In May Mangoes were everywhere!

The shady centre of the small town of Moyo was dotted with Mango trees on every road, Ripe fruit were scattered along the streets and passing trucks would sqaush some beutifull fruit as they would drive by.

I noticed that the locals would only pick fruit from the ground if they had seen it drop or if they had knocked it of the tree with a stick or one of the many unripe fruit lying around.

In the end I found it easier to go to the market and bought half a dozen ripe mangoes for 100UGX thats about 2 1/2 p

Instant Answers: Moyo

Comments

Moyo Travel Guide
Map of Moyo