Ad Dchira Travel Guide

the spanish fort
    by call_me_rhia

Ad Dchira Things to Do

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 13, 2008

If you ever wantd to know what had happend since Spain abandone Western Sahara, or even if you have been wondering if they had been there, then you should come out to As Dchira. There is what is left of a Spanish Fort, now in ruins, with none to look after it.

it's a bit of an eerie sight, all left alone with a few pink houses in proximity... a ghost fort, I would have said - until we noticed some children playing among its ruins. From what it is left, I can only say that it would have looked like a mighty fort, when it was still standing.

the spanish fort

Ad Dchira Transportation

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 13, 2008

Getting to Ad Dchira, although it is only about 30 kilometres from Laayoune, is not very easy if you don't have your own vehicle. I think that there might be grand taxis going there (if you ask) since the village is onther Smara road - however the place is really not somewhere you'll like to be stuck at... middle of nowhere, with enough to do to keep you busy for at most 30 minutes.

The best way to visit this village is by renting a car (maybe with driver) for one day, and take it in together with other locations - in particular the Oasis, which is just some 15 minutes driving away

the road to Ad Dchira

Ad Dchira Favorites

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 13, 2008

Favorite thing: Ad Dchira, located about 25/30 kilometres east of Laayoune, on the Smara road, is possibly one of the most boring places on eart. A handful of pink houses (20 at the most), a half-paved road, and the Spanish Fort... nothing more, nothing less. Nothing basicallt.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory ought to be the fort, since it's the only sight in the village... however I have other fond memories - the road getting there, which is very scenic, especially when it climbs up the rocky hill and... the mine. Yes, an unexploded mine fenced off with barbed wire in the middle of the village - just in case you had started to forget that this area, until rcently, had been a war zone.

Ad Dchira

Instant Answers: Ad Dchira

Comments

Ad Dchira Travel Guide
Map of Ad Dchira