Places to eat in Zambia

Most Viewed Restaurants in Zambia

• Rusket's Profile Photo

Gwabi Lodge: Eating at a table again

by Rusket Written Oct 10, 2005

I don't remember what I ate, I don't remember what it cost, it didn't matter. All that mattered was that we were sitting on chairs around a table inside a house, after three days of exercise on Zambezi :-) What I am sure about is that the food Warren prepared for us during our wild camping in the river was better! The surroundings too, although the ambient in Gwabi Lodge was nice enough.

• Safari
    • National/State Park

Arabian Nights: Lusaka nights at the Arabian

by Saagar Updated Sep 21, 2005

Arabian Nights serves Indian food place, just to set it right. But the menu is huge, so other more international items figure on the menu, too. They rightly do Indian food well and are not shy on the spices.
    Good portions, well made food. They've got a good rap on the tandoori here.

Favorite Dish: Extremely busy Friday and Saturday nights, a bit impractical place for servicing during such a rush, and the air con seems to waft kitchen odours into the eating area. Very slow at serving the right stuff at the right place during the rush. But as the food is ok, try this place on a slower day.

• Study Abroad

any restaurant: Good beer

by Saagar Written Aug 11, 2005

Feel like nursing a beer? Go for Mosi, which has a good taste, well-balanced and a good foam. Above all, it is local. The other beers here are the carlsberg's, heinekens etc., but most prominently Castle, the South African beer.
    Castle is slightly stronger and seen as the sign of moderinity among Zambians, while hold on to my statement that Mosi is much better.
    Mosi lends its name to Victoria falls, so does the label.

• Beer Tasting

• Saagar's Profile Photo

Marlin Restaurant at the Lusaka Club: The Marlin - no compromise!

by Saagar Updated Aug 4, 2005

The Marlin Restaurant is located inside the Lusaka Club. This is a not-for-just-everybody type of place, originally a golf club place, but evolved into a meeting place for (judging from the restaurant clinetele, anyway) expats and their local colleagues in high places. Don't be scared by this, I (with no credentials whatsoever) brought in a bunch of friends. Only trouble was finding a place. Lesson 1 at the Marlin: book a table before you go. Thee is a dress code at the Lusaka Club, but at the marlin, this wasn't required. However, I would recommend that you get out of your safari and road outfit for a visit here.
    The place is fairly small, with a bar at one end, and a lounge at the other. Efficient kitchen, service, waiters - impeccable. Amongst some dreary days the Marlin was a highlight.
    The menu is large, and walks you through a series of ways to cook up an ox, sheep of fish. Thee were other things, too, but these key items figured in most dishes in one way or the other.
    I am impressed that they have not pushed up their prices as the food and atmosphere is by far better than at other places I ate in town. 6 of us ate and drank for USD 108,-
    Tuesay-Saturday lunch and dinner, Mondays dinner only, Sunday closed.

Favorite Dish: I wasn't very original in my choice - I went for the fillet pepper steak! The Marlin is reknown for this dish, and I can vouch for it, too!
    A picky Namibian friend insisted on grilled fish (Nile perch) and a Swazi colleague missed his highland lamb and went for lamb cutlets. Both choices were apparently excellent.
    Good range of wines, but true to local tradition I stuck to Mosi lager as a complement to my pepper steak.

Jacaranda Restaurant: A little bit of everything compromise

by Saagar Written Aug 2, 2005

Jacaranda is located on the lobby level of the Taj Pamodzi Hotel and is part of the hotel's guest services (hotel breakfast etc.) but open for everyone who cares to walk in. There is a bar, a sit-down restaurant and a buffet restaurant area.
    This place is fine for your hotel breakfast, sitting down with friends and colleagues after a hard day's meeting or whatever. But perhaps not exactly the place for a night out in town and a super dinner. If you want improved food there is the Steak & Grill just outdoors of Jacaranda (same management).
    The food at Jacaranda is either buffet (so-so) or a la carte which was good and sufficient. No need to waddle throught he buffet when the a la carte dishes are good and filling. The clientele is international, the management is Indian (of the Taj group), and the food is inbetween. Lots of run-of-the-mill international dishes (spaghettis, steaks, grilled fish and so on). On Fridays they put up an indian buffet which give the place more of a character. Don't misunderstand, the food was good and fresh, but not a place to be impressed or to impress.

Favorite Dish: On a late night not bothering eating fancy or tasting something new, I had fish and chips which was very good. On another occasion I had their fillet steak which was also very tasty.
    A good draw for this place was draft Mosi beer - big glasses!

• Beer Tasting

• genki44's Profile Photo

Lusaka Club: Great food! Amazing Variety!

by genki44 Written Jul 12, 2005

Large restaurant with a menu offering food from Indian to Chinese to just about anything else....

Top class restaurant with a wide menu, Indian and excellent steaks, creole and more

Favorite Dish: Pepper steak. The steak compared with the best I've had!

• TracyG's Profile Photo

Cafe d' Afrique: Great fun dining!

by TracyG Updated Jun 14, 2005

Has a mix of everything. Coffee bar serving lunches during the day, and then turns into a music venue and restaurant at night - the music is really good as well, and some nights they have very good cultural shows.

Favorite Dish: Any of the pasta dishes in the day and at night, the fish is good.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

African Bush Bar

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 3, 2003

During my final year in Zambia, I worked for GEC (English Electric) making the rounds of the various copper mines selling heavy electrical equipment. There were a number of great restaurants in each of the cities on the Copperbelt (Mufulira, Chingola, Kitwe, Luanshya and Ndola) and I especially enjoyed the Chinese ones. During my first 2 years in Zambia, I had many invitations to dinner at the homes of other volunteers. I can remember thinking that these home-cooked meals by the female hosts were so good (compared to my usual fare) that I would rate them as such and such in my mental ten 'best meals of all-time' list! At home, I would often eat a typical Zambian meal of ground maize (mealies) with relish (a sauce) in which the maize was hand dipped. That was good too! Photo of a more traditional restaurant - actually a typical Zambian bush bar near Nkumbi, just east of Kabwe. Nothing like a cold beer on a hot day as my Danish mate, Torben, and I headed inland for Wonder Gorge.

• Chanters: great ribs

by littleoldlady Written Mar 20, 2003

Excellent surroundings in a colonial type house, fireplace lounge, interior well-planted patio with dining veranda. Good service, excellent pork chops, ribs, etc. as well as the usual steak and fish.

Favorite Dish: pork spareribs, (bbq sause isextra fee) and big thick chips (fries).

• Adventure Travel
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• AL3XKMFDM's Profile Photo

my favorite restraunt in...

by AL3XKMFDM Written Aug 25, 2002

my favorite restraunt in livingstone would have to be the chinese place that opened up only one week before my roomie and i got there.
    everything best quality! (heheh... if you understand chinese cooking and philosoiphy, then you will get the joke)
    ..seriously, the best thign about this restraunt other than the food if the fact that the chinese nationals who moved there will come out to watch you eat if you use the chop-sticks (until we ate there, i do not think they had ever seen non-asians using them)... the whole staff came out and watched us for about 5 minutes... you cant beat that!

Favorite Dish: the freshly made egg rolls... along with anything else that contained no seafood

• robmcmumbi's Profile Photo

The best food I had in...

by robmcmumbi Written Aug 24, 2002

The best food I had in Zambia was in Lusaka. There are several very good Indian food restaurants in town. My favorite was Shenai, located in Northmead, off of Great East Road. They were closed on Mondays, but every other night, the food was all right!
            It's just really good Indian food. Although, I have some Indian friends in Lusaka who say Dani's (at the end of Independence Avenue) is better and that Shenai is 's**t'. I disagree.

Favorite Dish:         I used to get chicken Mukhanwala with plain yogurt and three garlic naan. Very nice. Double gin & tonic, and we're all set. A typical bill was ten USD, and I always left satisfied.

• LizelleSA's Profile Photo

Enjoy the local Mossi beer

by LizelleSA Written Jul 11, 2008

Enjoy lunch at one of the restaurants on the river's edge or an early dinner while watching the sun set over the Zambesi River.

• Photography

• asgottl's Profile Photo

While in Livingstone, we...

by asgottl Written Aug 26, 2002

While in Livingstone, we decided to go on an evening dinner cruise up the Zambezi. It was picturesque, with gorgeous sunsets and a special treat--a full moon. Here's a picture of the moonrise.

Zambia Hotels

9 Reviews - 1 Photo
Chongwe Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Zambia

Comments

Zambia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Zambia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zambia sightseeing.
Map of Zambia