Related Zimbabwe Favorites Tips

• Favorites
    by Juyish
    Riding through the Jungle!
    by Juyish
  • Bring your poncho and wear good traking shoes!
    Bring your poncho and wear good traking...

Most Viewed Favorites in Zimbabwe

• krissyM's Profile Photo

Costs for Visa fees

by krissyM Updated Jun 18, 2010

Favorite thing: As of June 2010, the visa fees for a single entry permit into Zimbabwe were as follows:

Canadian Citizens: $75 USD
    British/UK Citizens: $55 USD
    All other: $30 USD

The permits can be purchased at the border. My best guess is that the high fees for UK and Canadian citizens is reciprocal meaning Canada and the UK charges Zimbabweans an equally high fee to get into their countries.

Unfortuneately, for that high price you don't even get a pretty stamp or sticker :(

Visa on arrival: Zimbabwe

by georeiser Updated Oct 28, 2009

Fondest memory: You need to write a visa application and arrival card. A visa label for 30 days stay is pasted in the passport for 30 USD. Free entry for people under 18 years in companion with adults. Be aware that the price for visa and the length of stay is different from country to country. For example a guy from Mexico had to pay 100 USD for only 3 days stay.

Helpsome and co-operative immigration officer at Kazungula road border.

Electricity in Zimbabwe

by georeiser Written Oct 22, 2009

Fondest memory: Electricity in Zimbabwe is 220 Volts at 50 cycles per second. If you travel to Zimbabwe with a device that does not accept 220 Volts at 50 Hertz or have different plugs, you will need a voltage converter with 3 rectangle holes.

Voltage converters may have different holes. For example, in Namibia they use 3 circular holes.

• Adventure Travel

Kazungula Road Border: Zimbabwe

by georeiser Written Oct 22, 2009

Fondest memory: I came from Botswana and had experienced harsh immigration officers. Due to all the rumours about the political and economic mismanagement in Zimbabwe, I had expected a tough treatment and many questions at the Kazungula Road Border. But no!
    The immigration officer was so polite and helpful. I had for example lost my pen and needed some assistance to write the visa application and arrival card. The officer did all of that with a smile. Maybe this is the policy or maybe the officers have been instructed to be polite and helpful?

A visa label for 30 days stay was pasted in the passport for 30 USD, and I drove away towards Victoria Falls in a taxi. (read the transportation tip...)

• DAO's Profile Photo

RAINCOAT RENTALS – VICTORIA FALLS

by DAO Updated Jul 28, 2008

Favorite thing: Rent a raincoat? That’s what I said. I started by seeing the Falls from the Zambia side during the dry season. I walked with 2 Zambian guys halfway across the Falls – no problem. The next day I was about to enter the Zimbabwe side when I saw signs for ‘RAINCOAT RENTALS’. What!? I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY. Even during the dry season, the Zimbabwe side lives up to the name “Smoke that thunders”. The smoke is actually the spray generated by the falls year round on this side. Millions of litres of water a SECOND go over the edge. A lot of the water atomises before it reaches the bottom and floats away. Several of the lower vantage points are mini tropical rainforests compete with animals. You are going to get wet! So for $1-2 (no more) you can be slightly dryer. Enjoy!

• National/State Park
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Photography

• DAO's Profile Photo

ELEPHANT CHARGE !

by DAO Updated Mar 9, 2008

Favorite thing: You might think that being charged by an enraged 3 ton Mother Elephant trying to protect her baby would not be fun. I had just picked up 2 hitchhikers on the Botswana Border on my way to Victoria Falls. The guys spotted these 2 elephants and suggested I stop and take some pictures. The mother and baby where happily strolling away from me. I stopped to adjust me camera when I heard my 2 passengers shout “RUN” at the same time. That was enough for me! I ran back to my still running car and sped off laughing with my guests. Luckily for me there were a few trees to slow down what could have been a good trampling. Now that would not have been fun.

• National/State Park
    • Photography
    • Eco-Tourism

• kgduke's Profile Photo

Deciphering Telephone Numbers

by kgduke Written Jun 24, 2007

Favorite thing: You will sometimes see telephone numbers that look like this:

+263 4 258495/6/7/8

This means:
    1) If you are calling from abroad, dial what you need to get an international line and then enter Zimbabwe's code (263). If you are calling from inside the country, there is no need to dial 263.

2) The second grouping is the area code. If calling from in Zimbabwe, these all have a 0 in front. I would dial 04 258495 from the above example. Area codes can have 2 to 5 digits. The area code for Harare is 04. If I am in Harare, I only need to dial 258495.

3) Telephone numbers are not all the same length. Sometimes they will be six digits or perhaps five. Don't worry about it.

4) The forward slashes indicate that the company or person has multiple lines. You can choose any ONE of the last numbers. If one line is busy insert a different last number. In the above example, I could dial:

or

• Study Abroad
    • Business Travel

• Take a look at your money, honey.

by RblWthACoz Written Jul 1, 2006

Favorite thing: Since the hyper inflation is in full effect, the government has had to print much larger bills. If you get your hands on a $20,000 bill, look in the bottom corner and you will see "50505050". From what I was told the government washed the $50 bills and printed $20,000 bills on them.

• Zimbabwe, still a wonderful destination

by mikeweston Updated Jan 27, 2006

Favorite thing: Log into a website for all sorts of info on Zimbabwe. This site is very useful and contains all sorts of information which is regularly updated. URL www.zim-sight.com or www.zim-sight.co.zw

Fondest memory: I still live here and the beatiful places one can visit are boundless.

• TracyG's Profile Photo

Stunning views!

by TracyG Updated Jun 14, 2005

Favorite thing: Try and get to Lake Kariba, if only for the stunning sunset over the dead trees, and for the sound of the playful hippos at night which are found throughout the whole lake.

Fondest memory: Standing only feet from a rhino in Matobo NP.....

Dance and culture

by sachara Updated Oct 6, 2003

Favorite thing: I like it to learn something about the culture of a country by reading books of its authors, to visit cultural museums or galleries or to attend performances.
    In Victoria Falls we saw a very good performance of spectacular Makeshi dances with intriguing masks. Every mask represented a specific character.

• Theater Travel
    • Music

Reconstructed villages & museums

by sachara Updated Oct 6, 2003

Favorite thing: In Zimbabwe are a lot of museums and reconstructed villages to visit, to taste and learn something of about the rich history and local customs of the country
    So we visited the Karanga village in Great Zimbabwe and Falls Craft Village in Victoria Falls. In Great Zimbabwe we visited also the museum.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

Meet the people

by sachara Updated Oct 6, 2003

Favorite thing: I didn't visit a country, if I didn't meet its people.
    Our stay in the village Rukweza was very special, to see the daily life in the village. The people were very friendly. When I left my camera at a stone in the centre of the village, children brought it back to the house were we slept that night.
    But everywhere, in towns, in parks, at markets, along the road I met very friendly people.

Flora

by sachara Updated Oct 6, 2003

Favorite thing: Our first attention during our visit to Zimbabwe went to the wildlife and elephants, but everywhere we walked, we saw also a lot of beautiful flora, like flowering trees. I don't know much about the flora at the African continent, so I bought a guide the last week to learn more.
    The aloe plants all around Great Zimbabwe looked very special.

Baobab

by sachara Updated Oct 6, 2003

Favorite thing: This was the most impressive baobab we saw during our trip to Zimbabwe, Malawi and Botswana.
    So we stopped the bus and everybody went out to make the same picture of this wonderful tree.
    Baobabs live for a long time, often for millennia. They grow fast for the first 270 years and then slow down. Trees with a circumference of over 30 M can be 4000 years old.

Zimbabwe Hotels

39 Reviews - 82 Photos
Gweru Hotels
28 Reviews - 47 Photos

Instant Answers: Zimbabwe

Comments

Zimbabwe Favorites

Reviews and photos of Zimbabwe favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zimbabwe sightseeing.
Map of Zimbabwe