Hwange National Park Travel Guide

Elephants
    by Rusket
    It is all about the view
    by mmmbenz
    A VARIETY!
    by safardreams

Hwange National Park Things to Do

• Saddle-billed Stork

Except for the vultures we did not see many birds in Hwange. I had to search the web to find the name of this one. It has alarge yellow spot on the beak, which is not visible on this picture.

• Vulnerable position

This is the most dangerous thing a giraffe can do, lucky for him that the lions were full! And lucky for him to have another (the mother?) standing guard (pic 2)

• Curiosity

Seems like this zebra was as curious about us as we were about it. Not shy at all. Maybe they have gotten too used to people, which is not good for them when it comes to poachers!

• Not only big animals

Look at this cute little guy in my sons hand :-) We were waiting for him to change color, but it seems like he did not find it necessary.

• Waiting for their turn

This is the reason why our guide could lead us to the buffalo killing site: He had spotted these vultures from far away, how they were sitting, waiting for their turn.

• Watching the prey

A good guide always finds something interesting to see! We did not see the kill, the lionesses had already finished their first meal. Three of them where resting in a shadow, one was inspecting us and the fifth one was watching the prey. And with a good reason, jackals were luring around, and vultures were waiting for their turn.

• Man made watering holes

Hwange does not get much rain even in the wet season, which is why people have helped the animals by making water holes for them. Look how protecting the grown elephants are to the little one!

• Hippos at Manduva Damn

If you like hippos, check out Manduva Damn. There are plenty here. There is a lunching spot near the damned water where you can get out and stretch your legs and watch the hippos and other things they may come along if your lucky. We spotted roan antelope, and saddle billed stork as well. This is also a good sundowner spot. It is close to...

• Guide And Weapon!

Our Boss Craig Van Zyl, great guide. A lotof fun also. He stepped out so we could grab some pics. Those BUFFALOS are near by.If you want to contact Craig, e-mail me.10/1999

• Herds Passing By Your Front Yard!

Elephant trail next to our camp. Great site to see almost 100 pass by! The tiny almost new-born right under MOM! They are going to the water-hole.

• SABLE Of Hwange Park

Noe of my favorites SABLE. Nevr seen thembefore. Don't believe they have them in KENYA. Not where I visited anyway. Some of these have some fantastic HORNS!9/1999

• THE HWANGE PAN!

WILDERBEASTS & BABOONS! The Baboonsdidn't bug here in HWANGE PARK. But the little ones love the ELEPHANT DUNG! The Baboon is grabbing the seeds out it!10/1999

• HARD DRINKING!

My first and only time I saw this! Not even in KENYA I saw this. No problem, the GIRAFFES are built to take this RUSH!!!!!But they must be ware of LIONS!HWANGE PARK, 10/1999

• Nosey Giraffe!

I look at this now almost 4yrs later. I think the last Giraffe is a MALE and checking out theone in front of it!!HWANGE, ZIMBABWE 10/1999

• "A MUST NOT SEE!"

We didn't even get to camp yet! We had ZEBRA, GIRAFFE, WART-HOGS ECT. My ELEPHANTS!! But this one we saw something wrong! Notice the funny bend in it's trunk!Thats a WIRE-SNARE doing that! Really bad stuff! It didn't look good. All 5 of us were troubled by this. Asking if a VET would come out and take care of it. No, too much money. We thought...

Hwange National Park Restaurants

by safardreams Written Jan 8, 2003

Baboons love those seeds! The little guy,
    having a good time! The Baboons didn't care we were near by. Plenty of DUNG ALL OVER!
    With about 50,000 ELPHANTS in this park.
    It's all over the place!
    10/1999

Favorite Dish: THE SEEDS, FOR THE BABOON!

Hwange National Park Nightlife

by safardreams Written Jan 8, 2003

We had the BILLONS OF STARS. We had
    ELEPHANTS at a water hole. We had this
    LIONESS pass right in front of us! Who would have thought we would see this. We're
    having trouble finding the LIONS in the day
    time!
    10/1999

GLOW-LION!

Hwange National Park Transportation

• Get a local guide

As always Drifters had hired a local guide to pick us up and drive us around. All our guides / drivers were very knowledgeable and very concerned about safety. When this lioness passed just a few meters behind our jeep to inspect us, we were told to sit tight and not make a move. Looks like she did not see us as competitors, she lay down, but kept...

• OPEN ALL THE WAY!

HWANGE PARK is all sand!! Not one rock here! We drove most in full time 4-wheel drive. On our last day here. We took a full day out to somewhere! Take a rest, take a walk, have lunch ect. A bit hot out here! But worth it!10/1999

• Hwange National Park Hotels

0 Hotels in Hwange National Park

Hwange National Park Warnings and Dangers

by safardreams Written Jun 22, 2003

The watchful mom, like all moms! BUFFALOS are a little nasty anyway. Even more so with a calf tagging along and it's
    getting hot and the ground is dry. So, she must be a bit hungry and a little testy!
    Watch out and listen to your giude!
    Show respect!
    HWANGE 10/1999

• Photography
    • Safari

Hwange National Park What to Pack

by safardreams Written Feb 25, 2003

Photo Equipment: Most bring at least 5 rolls of film a day. Also,
    add in the flying days. You should be all set!
    The way I was going I wasn't going to have enough for 2wks. I slowed down. NOT-GOOD!

• Safari

Hwange National Park Off The Beaten Path

• Buffalo Gang!

The Golden grass of the dry season. Nicecontrast for the BLACK BUFFALO! You candrive OFF-ROAD in ZIMBABWE. But you don't want to get too close to BUFFALO!They have very little food. It's HOT!HWANGE PARK, 10/1999

• Time To Get Close To Elephant!!

After some instrucitons by CRAIG. It was time for our first stalking!! It was chilly in the morn and very windy. Just follow your leader. Listen to him. Very exciting!! Will have to be part of the MOCK-CHARGE T-L!HWANGE PARK, 10/1999PS, notice the BARE FEET on CRAIG! 100% of the time he was like this. Every so often he would stop and scrape his...

• Watch For The Charge!

On foot in ZIMBABWE! If your lucky enough to get close to this giants. If you have a good guide such as: Craig Van Zyl, you will have a great safari there! Yes we are on foot here. Yes he did 2 mock charges! I really should put a T-L for this guy!HWANGE PARK, 10/1999

Hwange National Park Favorites

• Upside Down Hippo

One of the strangest things I saw in Africa was this hippo in the water hole at Masuma Dam. When I approached the water hole I thought this hippo was dead and bloated in the middle of the pool. But no, every ten minutes or so the hippo would flip itself upright for a while and then once again flip itself over upside down so only its feet and...

• The Dry Zebra!

The best time to go to ZIMBABWE is SEPT/OCT. Height of the dry season. Easy to see the wildlife. With the help of the ELEPHANTS and the DRY SEASON. This iswhat you get. It is a beautiful place here!HWANGE PARK, 10/1999 Craig asking us to be quiet!!

• Elephant Next To Your Truck!

My guide must know what he's doing. He stops right next to this young one here. We stayed for a bit to watch him feed. Thousands of ELEPHANTS in HWANGE! Elephants and being on foo!

Instant Answers: Hwange National Park

Comments

Explore Deeper into Hwange National Park
Baboons and Meat!