Getting Around Zimbabwe

Most Viewed Transportation in Zimbabwe

Game drive

by sachara Updated Oct 6, 2003

Making game drives is the best in small open air landrovers, like we had in Hwange National Park.
    In these cars you have a direct connection with the surrounding area and wildlife.
    You can feel, smell, hear and nearly touch.
    And very good opportunities for photographing too!!!

• National/State Park

Helicopter

by sachara Updated Oct 6, 2003

The best way to have a good overview and the most breathtaking experience ever is to make a flight by helicopter to see the Victoria Falls.
    We had a 30 minutes flight, could overview the whole area, had a deep look in the gorges and really good opportunities for photographing.
    We got a bonus and had also a flight just 2 M above the Zambesi River along the route of white water rafting.
    For more see my Victoria Falls page.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Airport Departure Fees

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 24, 2008

When it was time for us to leave Harare for our flight back to South Africa, we were unexpectedly told that we needed US $20 each to pay for the airport departure fees. I had thought that this was included in the price of our tickets, so did not have the required amount of cash with us (and they did not really want any substitute for hard currency!). Luckily, our hostess was still with us and she was able to talk them into accepting her Zimbabwean currency as a substitute. While she was busy with this, I managed to slip all of our excess Zim $ and SA Rand into her bag to compensate her and off we went through Customs into the departure lounge. It then transpired that our return flight to SA was going to be delayed for a couple of hours due to a mechanical problem in Johannesburg. Eventually this delay stretched into 9 hours, during which time we were not allowed to leave the single-room departure lounge because we had already cleared Customs. During this period, all the waiting passengers became very good friends (luckily for us because the now-cleaned-out Browns needed to borrow a bit of cash to get some potato chips out of a vending machine). Eventually, the airlines admitted that the South African Airways Airbus 320 was not going to make it at all, so they arranged alternative flights directly out of Harare on whatever could be set-up. All the luggage was lined up on the tarmac outside the lounge and each passenger had to come out and identify their bags for the alternate flights. Instead of flying back to Jo'burg to catch our SAA flight to London, we ended up taking a British Airways flight direct to London. Overall, I found that the experience did not bother me (in fact it was just another interesting experience) - I was just glad that the airlines were able to make things work to get us back to England in time to complete the rest of our trip home.

• safardreams's Profile Photo

In Front Of LIONS We Will PUSH!

by safardreams Written May 12, 2003

This as you can guess wasn't in front of the LIONS! Same PARK different day!
    MATUSADONA PARK, ZIMBABWE. We had a
    LAND-ROVER with a bad starter! So, If we couldn't put the truck on some kind of a slope.
    Well guess what! We had to push the thing!!
    One of the 3 days here. We stopped to look at 5 LIONS. You can get out of your truck in
    ZIMBABWE! We had to anyway! We had to PUSH! Hardly 50feet away! LIONS just staring at us like we were CRAZY!
    I guess we were!!
    MATUSADONA PARK, ZIMBABWE 10/1999

• Photography

Bus

by sachara Updated Oct 6, 2003

During the trip in Zimbabwe we had our own bus to travel around.
    So in the Whovi Park we could make the gamedrive with this bus.
    The bus had some problems with crossing the tracks and got stuck. So we had to give a hand by bringing stones to get the bus out of this situation.

ZAMBEZI CANOE

by safardreams Written Aug 11, 2003

Our last keg of our ZIMBABWE SAFARI. Was
    a 3day canoe trip on the MIGHTY ZAMBEZI.
    I took point with VICTOR. Our guide for this part. I wa so lucky being alone. The other
    clowns in the other canoes where all over the place at times. This could be very boring or
    very risky. But you get a good workout!!
    Those 3 days were very choppy, and we were
    going against the current.
    I guess I'll just have more ZIMBABWE BEER!
    10/1999

• Photography

• DAO's Profile Photo

NO FUEL

by DAO Updated Dec 11, 2007

Thanks to the inspirational leadership of Uncle Bob, Zimbabwe is chronically short of car fuels. In fact these pictures were taken just over the border in Botswana where they have no such issues. As you can see people cross the border to fill up with as much as they can. I drove to Victoria Falls after filling up my car before entering the country. It is the first time in my life I have been approached by taxi drivers offering to hire me (cash!) to make fuel runs as my car had enough petrol to get to Botswana. Crazy. Make sure you top up before driving in and have enough to get yourself back out. Count on not being able to get ANY fuel in Zimbabwe. You probably won’t.

• Business Travel

• safardreams's Profile Photo

By Plane, Land-Rover or On-Foot!!

by safardreams Updated Nov 5, 2002

My best part about getting around the BUSH,
    ZIMBABWE.ON FOOT!! Exciting not knowing what's around the corner. Or in the grass!!
    Maybe even poachers SNARES!!!!!
    Must have a LAND-ROVER. Open is a must!!
    If you can, take a plane from park to park!!

• DAO's Profile Photo

SHONGOLOLO !

by DAO Updated Jul 28, 2008

Want to see Zimbabwe and not have to worry about your car or bus running out of fuel? Ride the Shongololo! So what does the word Shongololo mean? It a giant African Millipede the length of a man’s boot. Shongololo Express trains are like long Cruise Ships on land. They offer luxury travel that can take all the hassle out of some places in Southern Africa that you really want to visit. They offer luxury cabins, excellent chefs preparing authentic African dishes, local wines and professional staff. Packages range form weekends to 16-day treks. Each train has air-conditioned Mercedes Benz touring vehicles for days out with guides who speak English, German, Dutch and French. Adventures even include scuba diving, hot air ballooning and elephant rides.
    The Shongololo travels to nine countries across southern Africa: Namibia, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia and Tanzania.

• Luxury Travel
    • Trains

BUSH-BEAST!

by safardreams Written Nov 10, 2002

It's really a truck. The best 4 x 4!! LAND-ROVER! Thats whats needed for these safaris. But, you also need to make a stop.
    Use the truck as a BAR! Enjoy the landscape!
    Have a: GIN n TONIC!!
    HWANGE-PARK!!

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Empty roads.......

by Bigs Written Sep 14, 2002

The best thing is to rent a car and drive around....streets are pretty good, boring sometimes cause the distances are quite long. Tempo Limit is 120, and there are radar controls now and than.....

You will see the most of the country by car....Even better, but more expensive is a Motor Home....There are car rentals at the airport...

• Vikings's Profile Photo

The best way these days would...

by Vikings Written Aug 25, 2002

The best way these days would probably be flying to and from Zimbabwe. Can also drive there but it may take a long time and need some more planning. We flew with a friend from Johannesburg, fuelled in some small place in Botswana and landed in Victoria falls. Also a good way to get your own private flight over the falls :) Just ask the control tower nicely !
    If not flying, the trains can be 'fun' if you are very patient and need a constant adventure. Mian roads are not too bad but fule shortages the last year or so makes it a bit risky.

• anaiis's Profile Photo

An airplane will do if you are...

by anaiis Written Aug 25, 2002

An airplane will do if you are not home in Africa.
    Buses are ... African. My picture says it all: after leaving the buss station, we made a turn to be repaired first. The odler you take, the faster it goes. Its a bit suicadal, of course. But I took the newer bus only once. It took ages... the stops are very frequent... so I recommend the old ones. Me and my friend were usually the only white people on the busses. Also you must now that there is usual some music going on (from tapes) - chosen by driver. To me it was very nice and pleasant to listen to it. Great background to landscape. But we dont all have the same taste about music.

Busses stop and you can buy frozen ice (I did and didnt have any gastrointestinal problems) and baked corn or something else. Ice is great for your thirst in the heat. You buy these things just over your bus window. Reconsider before buying live chickens...

• anaiis's Profile Photo

I recommend night trains...

by anaiis Written Aug 26, 2002

I recommend night trains Harare-Mutare or Harare-Bulawayo and Bulawayo-Vic Falls. They are something quite special. They are travelling museum hotels and comfortable! They travel really slow, so you can sleep. If you are traveling when its hot, ask to make the bed by yourself. You will just take one sheet to sleep on top of it and nothing else to cover you. The regular bed making includes heavy covering. You have three classes on the train. I have travelled in the first and the second. There is NO differences among them (exept the price - but not much and that first class sometimes includes more wooden carriages). And more: if you take second class, you will meet more people. In the train, you cannot travel with your male (if you are a woman) passenger. The passengers are seperated by sex and often by marriage status (Misses together, ladies together). That is practical, because that way children are together, as well as young female travellers (with different interests to talk about).It is possible to have a dinner on the train for the first and second class passengers. Trains have also night bars to have some drink (I had Lions lager once). You will find detailed information on this page:

There is a Railway Museum in Bulawayo, the second biggest city.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

CHICKEN BUSESSo are called...

by SirRichard Written Aug 25, 2002

CHICKEN BUSES
    So are called the local buses, frequent but uucomfortable and unpredictable! They leave when they are full, and they arrive when they arrive...
    Anyway is a real african experience, the best way to know local people. The local stations are busy, colourful and always a mess! Be careful with pickpockets.

Zimbabwe Hotels

39 Reviews - 82 Photos
Gweru Hotels
28 Reviews - 47 Photos

Instant Answers: Zimbabwe

Comments

Zimbabwe Transportation

Reviews and photos of Zimbabwe transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zimbabwe sightseeing.
Map of Zimbabwe