Victoria Falls Favorites

• Favorites
    by Juyish
    Riding through the Jungle!
    by Juyish
  • Bring your poncho and wear good traking shoes!
    Bring your poncho and wear good traking...

Best Rated Favorites in Victoria Falls

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

Money Matters

by PierreZA Written Apr 15, 2009

Favorite thing: Nothing costs less than a dollar (US). To get change is a major problem. South African Rands, USD, British Pounds and Euros are accepted. Try to have small denominations, it will save you a lot of problems.
    No transactions are done with Zimbabwe Dollars.

Rainbow - Falls

Elephant Company

by safardreams Written Sep 6, 2003

Favorite thing: You are able to set up options while staying
    at VIC FALLS. With hardly any time here. My first pick was the ELEPHANT RIDE. Glad I did.
    It was worth the $130.00. Put it on the VISA anyway,lol! Here comes our rides. They had I think about 8 or 12 young ELEPHANTS.
    Well taken cared for and still are. I found now in SO. AFRICA. With the problems and drought in ZIMBABWE. Not enough peole visiting. But I know ILLALA LODGE is still
    going. Thats the kind of info I get from my
    ZIMBABWE guide friend.

Fondest memory: The ELEPHANT RIDE, & VIC FALLS ROAR!

My Little Friends

Elephant Guide

by safardreams Written Sep 6, 2003

Favorite thing: They has us stop here and there. This no 15min ride. We were out about 3hrs!
    The guides name: Shadreck. A nice man.
    Seemed very respectful of his ELEPHANTS.
    This is also no fenced in yard. It's out in the bush. Do you see the BULL ELEPHANT
    tin the back towards the right? Between the 2 trees? No problem, very exciting. My first WILD ELEPHANT!

Fondest memory: Much to do. So little TIME!

Leader!

Guides Card

by safardreams Written Sep 6, 2003

Favorite thing: I like keeping things from my trips. This is one. I became friendly with the Guide. He
    talked about needing supplies ect. I had mentioned there is a ARMY SURPLUS STORE near me. I guess he thought it would
    be easy to send things to him. It would have never worked. But I have not forgotten him.
    10/1999

Fondest memory: The nice people of ZIMBABWE!

A Keep-Sake

• DAO's Profile Photo

RAINCOAT RENTALS

by DAO Updated Apr 12, 2008

Favorite thing: Rent a raincoat? That’s what I said. I started by seeing the Falls from the Zambia side during the dry season. I walked with 2 Zambian guys halfway across the Falls – no problem. The next day I was about to enter the Zimbabwe side when I saw signs for ‘RAINCOAT RENTALS’. What!? I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY. Even during the dry season, the Zimbabwe side lives up to the name “Smoke that thunders”. The smoke is actually the spray generated by the falls year round on this side. Millions of litres of water a SECOND go over the edge. A lot of the water atomises before it reaches the bottom and floats away. Several of the lower vantage points are mini tropical rainforests compete with animals. You are going to get wet! So for $1-2 (no more) you can be slightly dryer. Enjoy!

• Jungle and Rain Forest

RAINBOWS FOREVER!!

by safardreams Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I love the sound of the water!! But I love the rainbow even more!! I wish I had taken more
    pics while I was here. But I know better now.
    So, take many pics if you go visit!!

Fondest memory: I met this German named ALAN. We talked about our cameras. The sunrise that was
    on it's way. Nice man. Didn't have e-mail at the time. Never did get his address.

WON'T STOP!

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

The smoke that thunders

by SirRichard Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Before Livingstone discovery, native Africans called the waterfalls Mosi-o-Tunya, "the smoke that thunders", because of the water steam that could be seen from the distance as you approached the place.
    Livingstone christened the great waterfall Victoria Falls after his queen.

An aerial view of the Falls
    • Eco-Tourism

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Victoria Falls

by Bigs Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: The falls are just amazing!!!! I have been there when it has been a very low water level and still it was such a powerful sight and sound!!! It was a magic moment to me!

Fondest memory: I always miss the Zimbabwian People, they have made my stay here so unforgetable!!!

Powerful waters
    • Adventure Travel

• B_Caro's Profile Photo

a Helicopter flight

by B_Caro Written Nov 24, 2002

Fondest memory: During my trip in Zimbabwe (take a look at it to read more about my trip in Zimbabwe), I also spend a few hours in Zambia. In fact it was nothing more then a 30 minute flight above the falls and the drive to & from the heliport ;-)

Arriving at the campground in Vic falls, there are a lot of people outside the campsite who offers you helicopter flights, rafting, bungee-jumping and other activities. Vic Falls is full of these kind of tour operators.

I liked the idea of a helicopter flight above the falls, so it didn’t take me long to decide. Finally we were with 4 to go.

The flight started from the Zambian side of the falls.

In the afternoon, they picked us up with a jeep and we went to heliport. After some formalities, first at the border, then at the agency, we finally could start.

Actually I felt sick from the first moment that the helicopter took off (and I felt that way during the whole flight)

But ok, that didn’t keep me from taking a lot of pictures and enjoying the views. But I was very glad when I felt the earth again under my feet. ;-))

We chose to do a 30 minutes flight. Besides the falls, we would also fly upstream , seeing the Zambesi and a game park, and downstream, there where the wild Zambesi is popular for rafters.

• glennkasner's Profile Photo

Protect your camera

by glennkasner Written Mar 6, 2007

Favorite thing: Be sure to take a plastic bag to protect your camera when going to see the waterfall. The spray generated from this huge amount of water going over the side can be as bad as a torrential downpour and catches you by surprise at times. Keep your camera safe and dry in the bag and onlt take it out when you find a dry spot from which to take photos.

• magor65's Profile Photo

How do they compare?

by magor65 Updated Jul 14, 2011

Favorite thing: Let's have a look at the three most famous world waterfalls.

Height:
    Niagara 51 m (167 feet)
    Iguazu 82 m (269 feet)
    Victoria 107 m (351 feet)

Width:
    Niagara 1203 m (3946 feet)
    Iguazu 2700m (8858 feet)
    Victoria 1737m (5698 feet)

Average volume:
    Niagara 2407 m3/s (85 002 feet3/s)
    Iguazu 1746 m3/s (61 659 feet3/s)
    Victoria 1100 m3/s (38 846 feet3/s)

Although Iguazu is seemingly wider than Victoria, we must remember that it's a multi-tiered waterfall which is broken into as many as 270 separate falls. So if we look at the highest and widest sheet of continually falling water, the Victoria Falls seems to be the winner.

• magor65's Profile Photo

The largest in the world?

by magor65 Updated Jul 14, 2011

Favorite thing: Spectacular, magical, awesome, phenomenal - they are just a few words that can be used in attempt to describe the Victoria Falls, but the truth is that the place defies all description and no matter how hard one tries, it will end in failure. So it's better to restrict to some factual information.
    When we compare waterfalls, three factors are taken into account: the height, width and volume.With its 107 metres of height, Victoria Falls is far behind other world famous falls, placing itself in the 8th hundred. By width it's the tenth largest and by the volume the 13th largest waterfall in the world. If we combine all these three factors together, there are three greatest waterfalls in th world: Niagara, Iguazu and Victoria.

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo

Backpackers Bazaar

by skatzcatz Written Aug 1, 2004

Favorite thing: for bookings and information on activities and safaris try Backpackers Bazaar, they even found my mobile phone i lost in Botswana for me (and if you see a kangaroo on a desk - i sent it :P )

They are experts in:
    Victoria Falls
    Zambia
    Botswana
    Namibia
    Malawi
    Mozambique etc

they arranged a Chobe National Park day tour i took and provided plenty of great advice.

Fondest memory: nothing was too much trouble for them.

backpack@africaonline.co.zw
    backpack@telcovic.co.zw
    mobile: 011 404 960
    phone: 44611 42208

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

How much time do you need in Vic Falls?

by travelmad478 Written Nov 29, 2003

Favorite thing: I suppose you can spend as much time as you want to, but for us, 26 hours wasn't enough. We were limited to this amount of time since we were working in Johannesburg on Friday and Monday. There are no evening flights to Vic Falls on Friday night, so we had to fly out Saturday morning. The last flight back to Johannesburg left at around 4 PM on Sunday. If I were to do it again, I'd plan for at least another full day on the ground. If your trip to Vic Falls is the only time you'll spend in Zimbabwe, try to stay even longer so you can get to see some wildlife. To do this right, visiting some nearby parks, takes at least a full day.

• safardreams's Profile Photo

Tiny People, Massive FALLS!

by safardreams Written Sep 2, 2003

Favorite thing: There is couple that just went over the wood fence. I didn't, with my luck I would get caught! But look at the size contrast of the people and the FALLS!
    You can see those 2 people to the left can't you?

Fondest memory: The POWER, the SOUND!

There are 2 people to the left!

Instant Answers: Victoria Falls

Comments

Victoria Falls Favorites

Reviews and photos of Victoria Falls favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Victoria Falls sightseeing.

View all Victoria Falls hotels