Dhaka Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Dhaka

• BobYourUncle's Profile Photo

Alcohol is cheap at the Duty Free

by BobYourUncle Written Jul 20, 2010

There a number of stores selling alcohol at the duty free complex. But head to the one that is exclusive for alcohol and perfumes (sorry, I don't remember the name).

What to buy: They have a limited selection of alcohol. A few blended whiskys and a fewer still single malts but these are available at the cheapest rates that I have seen in any airport.

What to pay: The good thing is you can pay in almost any currency including INR

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Aarong: Quality Traditional handicrafts

by MikeBird Written Dec 18, 2009

Aarong shop sign

I believe there are several Aarong stores dotted around Dhaka. They are a perfect place to buy those gifts or souvenirs of your visit to Bangladesh. I particularly like the way the stores provide an outlet for the artisanal handicrafts many of which I understand are made by disabled people in Bangladesh. The quality of the items is very high and they are well presented in the shop.

One can buy all kinds of gifts from screen printed T Shirts to floor rugs; jewellery to musical instruments. I particularly enjoyed being able to simply browse around the shelves without being pestered by over eager sales persons.

You can pay by credit card or in foreign currency ( though I don't know how good the rate of exchange will be).

I've been to the store twice now and on both occasions - it's been a pleasure to shop there ( and I normally avoid shopping if at all possible). There is even a small café inside where you can rest up for a while and take a drink.

Do give this shop a try - your money will help to retain the work of the small scale groups of producers who manage to sell their wares through this chain of well run stores.

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo

Jamdani Sarees

by Rupanworld Written Sep 16, 2007

Jamdani sarees of Bangladesh are famous. They are beautiful, generally light coloured fine sarees with single or multi coloured geometric or floral designs. When we went to Bangladesh, I remember, all the ladies of our 23 members team were busy doing lots of shopping of Jamdani sarees.

Instant Answers: Dhaka

Dhaka Shopping

Reviews and photos of Dhaka shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dhaka sightseeing.