Chaungtha Travel Guide

cow cart
    by picek
  • A long stretch of fine sand and coconut trees
    A long stretch of fine sand and coconut...
    by Cho45
    Ken and I cooling off in the water
    by Cho45

Chaungtha Things to Do

by cochinjew Written Oct 29, 2005

Po Kala Island
    just a few minutes away from chaungtha beach is what the entire area might have looked like before tourism ever came to this place. this tranquil island of fisherman is a walk back in time. there is a paya with a good view of the bay of bengal. one can indulge in some coconuts, 200 kyats each . talk to the fisherman or visit their homes. there are no eating or accomodation in pokala island, but there is a just one hut with some beer being sold.

by cochinjew Written Oct 29, 2005

a short trip away from the Chaungtha beach is the spit of an island called Sandy Island, about 20 minutes by boat, 3000 kyats per person for foreigners. just a paya and nothing else. good place to snorkel and spend time with friends.on the way you could stop at pokala island

• Chaungtha Hotels

0 Hotels in Chaungtha

Chaungtha Restaurants

by cochinjew Written May 14, 2006

The value of this restaurant lies not inthe food but in the personality of its owner,Win Htey or William. I have to retell his story from betel seller to the owner of a restaurant..
    Quality of the food is Average by Burmese standards, but my brother on his visit loved the lobster william prepared for him.
    Hospitality of William: Excellent. He came with me to see the Monk to arrange the education of the children. It is through him I make sure that donations reach the Monastery.
    Price of Food: Chaungtha is a touristy place so expect to pay more

pa pa win a hat seller and friend

Chaungtha Local Customs

by cochinjew Written May 14, 2006

If you wish to give a present to a local person, a bracelet made of sea shells or a tee shirt is not appropriate. The local market can supply fully appreciated gifts. such as :
    clothes lengths so that longyis for girls can be made, also clothes for blouses. also ready made blouses
    longyis fo men
    ready made clothes for little boys

Other much apprecaited gifts include:
    Rice ( about 400 kyat a khati)
    Eggs ( 60-70 kyats each)

1 usd buys between 1200 to 1400 kyats. easy to remember while calculating 1 usd as 1000 kyats.

nice slippers for girls can be puchased for about 5000 kyats. little boys clothes can be bought for about 1000 kyats. Girls clothes around 2000 kyats.

Chaungtha Warnings and Dangers

• by fellovergen Written Oct 9, 2009

I cycled Myanmar several years ago.
    Just a quick warning to sunbathing under the coconut palms.
    Approx 4 miles north of Chaungtha is a little 'lagoon'. (little tip)

Quiet, secluded, heavenly. So I thought when I found it. I would cycle there daily taking a book and a pack up

One evening whilst having a meal with two delightful German ladies I met one commented that my face looked swollen. By the end of the meal it was exceptionally obvious.

The young restaurant owner on hearing about my day advised me it was a 'spider' that inhabited the palms often giving a nip to the farmers. The swelling generally subsiding after 3 days.

The following morning with my face swollen to elephantine proportions requiring the use of my fingers to open my eyes sufficiently to see I hot tailed it to Yangon to see a doctor.

The doctor then proceeded to tell me the swelling was due to a 'sea-food' allergy and prescribed me antibiotics! I've spent my entire life eating seafood without an adverse problem......... and the swelling started before eating!!

So my warning is...... don't doze under palms an view Burmese doctors with scepticism.

That said, for my daughters 18th next year I'm going back, this will be her first visit, my fifth and we're both on cycles...... I love the country

Instant Answers: Chaungtha

Comments

Chaungtha Travel Guide
Map of Chaungtha