Inwa Travel Guide

Inwa Things to Do

• Leaning Watchtower

This is known as the "leaning tower of Inwa" by virtue of the structural shift brought about by the 1838 earthquake. The upper part of the 27metre tower was completely shattered by the earthquake, and the rest sits on a very precarious looking angle!Regardless of the tilt - you can still walk to the top of the tower, with quite good views to be...

• Views of Ava Bridge and Sagaing

The view from Nanmyin in Inwa you can see the Ava Bridge and the beautiful hills of Sagaing. Seeing the Payas on top of Sagaing Hill is just amazing!!

• Leaning Tower of Inwa - Namyin

This is the remains of a Palace that was built by King Bagyidaw. It is a nice place to get views of the surrounding area as it rises 27 meters above the rice fields.This and many other buildings in the area were badly damaged in the Massive 1838 Earthquake!

• Local Farmers

There were local Farmers along my ride. For me they added to the beauty of the area. Just knowing that the land was being worked in time honored traditions was amazing.

• Ava Bridge

This is a huge bridge! It has 16 spans and was the only bridge in the whole country that crossed the Ayerwaddy until 1998!!!! Amazing that for so many years there was only one bridge across this very long river. Now I believe there are 2 other bridges across the Ayerwaddy at other locations. There are toll booths at both ends of the bridge...

• Locals waiting at the Jetty

The Ferry Boat seemed to have about 6-8 passengers for each crossing. I'm not sure if there are any bridges in the area but I doubt it. As the big Ava bridge is the only bridge that I ever saw. And that one wouldn't do these villagers any good as it was a few miles away.

Inwa Transportation

• Cart horse

The only way to travel around Inwa is by cart horse. Two people are allowed to travel in each cart.Cart Fare6000 Ks

• Boat across the canal to Old Inwa

Crossing across from the "mainland" road to Inwa is a short ride in this little boat across the manmade channel/canal, which takes only a few minutes, and runs on demand.You can see the eager horse and buggy drivers awaiting the tourists on the boat - ie. us!! How to choose?

• Taxi from Mandalay

We had our taxi and unofficial guide for the 3 days in Mandalay take us to Inwa early on the day we left - as this site is enroute to the airport - roughly. You need a comfortable half a day to see both Inwa and Amarapura. There are various points of interest in the area, and well worth having your own driver, to both point them out, and stop if...

Inwa Local Customs

• Ox Carts Loaded high!!

These Ox Carts loaded high with straw and other materials are pretty cool. I just loved to watch the carts slowly work their way down the road kicking up a small bit of dust as they pass.

• Unloading the Coconut boats

Here you can see how the coconuts are handled. Each coconut is hand thrown all the way up the hill and into the truck. I'm sure the coconuts are handled many times before it makes it to the end user.

• Locals carry their stuff

The locals that got off the Ferry Boat all carried their loads up to the top of the hill to the horse carts. The Ferry Boat is only a few minute ride to get to the other side of the small river. It's not the Ayerwaddy but a small one that runs into the Ayerwaddy river.

Inwa Favorites

• Maha Aungmye Bonzan Entrance

This Yellow Monastery is built of Brick and stucco. It is quite nice here. It sure looks different than the other Monasteries in the area.

• Shadow of Nanmyin

I thought the shadow was cool so I had to take a picture. I'm always looking for goofy stuff to take photos of! I like the way the shape came out perfectly in the shadow.

• The top of the Monastery

This is the main spire on the Bagaya Kyauang Monastery. It is make of teak and quite beautiful! It looked very similar to the ones that I have seen in Kathmandu.

Instant Answers: Inwa

Comments

Map of Inwa