Bagan Restaurants

• illa's Profile Photo

Toe Toe Win: One of My Best Dining Experiences

by illa Updated Sep 18, 2004

Stupa Bagan

We were in Nyaung-U looking for a restaurant for lunch. When we saw a sideboard on the road showing the direction to Toe Toe Win Restaurant, I remembered I read the introduction of it in LP. We were looking for a local food restaurant and this one is a Burmese Food Buffet so it sounded ok for us.

We went into the lane and found the place. it's was about 2 o'clock in the afternoon and there was nobody else eating in the restaurant. Before sitting down, we asked to see the food. They opened the lids and showed everything to us. Food looked good, price was very inexpensive (800kyat /person). The power was off (not surprising in Burma) so we seated ourselves by the door.

Instead of going and selecting food ourselves, they started to bring dishes to our table one after another, everything they had showed us, and two freshly fried dishes: vegetable and a sort of sparrow, totally 21! While we were eating, two men stood on the two sides of us and started to fan for us! I realized they felt sorry for the electric fan not working.

I tried to ask them not to do so, but it just made them more sorry for us, and at the same time, there were too many flies trying to share the food... The only way I could do was to eat fast.

Favorite Dish: Sparrow was really good.
    Desert also seemed good, but unfortunately I couldn't take anything more after 21 dishes!

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

streetkitchen style: Burmese Dishes

by tremendopunto Written Dec 2, 2007

typical Burmese dish

Traditional Burmese dishes go by several plates with a little bit of everything. Here you see a chicken dish with severl kinds of vegetables and soup with different spices. All you can eat rice is the rule, free tea always goes with it. Prices vary, this one goes up to 1000 Kyats.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

San Thi Dar Restaurant: No Electricity? - No Problem!

by thedouglas Updated Mar 27, 2007

I am the cook!

We wandered into this little restaurant, which was just across the road from the national museum, just as the power went off! No problem - we were treated to the most amazing food feast! I have no idea what percentage of the meal we paid for - but it was certainly not all the dishes brought to our table. We were not able to eat half of it.

When we arrived at the restaurant, the only son of the owners joined up for a chat and brush up of his English - which was, needless to say, far superior to our Myanmar! He was a nice little boy, who was about 10 years old, and a very active part of the business when he wasn't at school. We ended up giving him our little dotti light - which brought on even better service - as he needed to run off and do every little thing with the light!

Apart from the additional food we were given, the mum and dad joined up for a while, and we were presented with "gifts" of some lacquerware items!

While we were here, a young tourist arrived, who was a "regular" patron, visiting for a special birthday meal - including a cake!

Favorite Dish: Pumpkin curry.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Silver House Restaurant: Cyclists refuelling stop.

by planxty Written Jun 5, 2006

Silver House restaurant, New Bagan, Myanmar.

Well, let's be honest, cycling certainly does work up an appetite and, after a morning riding around the temples I have to say I was fairly famished. Luckily, I happened upon this place which was an excellent choice.

The restaurant itself is a semi-open building, spotlessly clean (including the toilets) with some nice decorations about.

The staff spoke a little English, service was good and friendly and the food was very tasty and filling. The menu is predominantly Chinese, with a few local dishes thrown in. The speciality seems to be duck as they have a whole large section of the menu devoted to it. I am a great lover of duck and certainly wasn't disappointed at all with my hot and sour - very well executed. Prices are about average for the area (i.e. extremely cheap by Western standards) and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Favorite Dish: The hot and sour duck with rice - delicious.

• Beer Tasting

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Myanmar, red and blue mandalay and Dagon beer: Burmese beer

by tremendopunto Written Dec 2, 2007

red label

On my search for local beertasting I tried Mandalay beer, the regular blue one and the red one, which is a little bit stronger with some 7%. Both are not bad, the same for Dagon, which was very good, but I couldnt get it in bottles. Still the best one according to my experience is the Myanmar beer.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Yarpyi: Vegetarian

by thedouglas Updated Mar 27, 2007

Al fresco dining

Its actually very easy to find vegetarian restaurants in Myanmar. This lovely little find was a clean side of the road restaurant, where the menu was both comprehensive and appealing.

We had been "escorted" to this restaurant by a small child hanging around our hotel. However, it was in our viewfinder for the evening, and he did not ask us for any payment. I suspected that the husband of the owner was one of the horse and buggy drivers who operated from outside our hotel.

The service was excellent, although a staff member from the next restaurant come over to try to sell us some of his paintings. This required firm assertion, as he was not to be deterred from his sales and personal misery pitch!

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Aroma 2: Fabtastic Indian

by albaaust Updated Sep 11, 2006

The meal

We hired a taxi to take us to this restaurant which is in Nyaung Oo and then come back and pick us up after an hour an half. The food was excellent. We sat outside and they put little canldes on our table. Besides the meals we ordered we were given a range of condiments/pickles, a yoogurt cabbage salad and parathas.

We ordered a fish, lamb and beef curry- absolutely delicious. Thoroughly recommend the food!

As an added attraction the restaurant is also near a market which you may want to visit afterwards to "walk off the food".

• Religious Travel

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Green Elephant Riverview: Lunch with view

by hydronetta Written Jan 16, 2007

During our second day we decided to break our sightseeing tour for a snack but we ended up having an excellent lunch in this tranquil restaurant. Green Elephant lies in New Bagan by the banks of river Ayeyarwaddy.
    The service is excellent, the setting tranquil with views over the river and the food we had simply delicious. Specially we ate the best vegetable noodles during our whole trip. For a meal with noodles for 2, salad, 2 meat dishes (small portions) we paid around 7euros!!
    Strongly recommended (a touch of affordable luxury!!)

• pymayhua's Profile Photo

Myo Myo Myanmar Buffet: You should taste all dishes.

by pymayhua Written Mar 26, 2011

They quickly filled up with a myriad of small plates and bowls of all of the local specialties, with an emphasis on curries (some delicious, a few an acquired taste, but none modified for Western palates).All this for the princely sum of 3,500 kyat per person ($4).

Favorite Dish: The place is run by a very nice family and serves wholesome Myanmar food. I ate there first time during my recent stay in Bagan and was greeted like a long lost relative every time. I did have a couple of dishes that were just OK, but most of what I ate was very good and outstanding value. The other restaurants close by are probably pretty good, but this one is special.

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Sarabha II restaurant: Dinner with marionettes

by hydronetta Written Jan 7, 2007

Sarabha II (to disitinguish from no I) is an upmarket restaurant near to Old Bagan. We got recommendations about it from our guide so we decided to take our dinner there by the end of a long day sightseeing.
    There is an extensive menu, expect to pay about 3$ each main dish, the ambience is good as well as the service. After 8 o'clock there is an additional marionettes' show.
    My onnly problem was that every dish I chose had run out (at least their Thai mains with coconut milk) so we both choose Burmese.
    Neither cold nor hot feelings about it. It depends if you fancy nice restaurants only.

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Mya Yadanar: Tasty Food

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 19, 2013

This is a kind of restaurant oriented for tourists, but the food is very tasty.
    The problem I have found in the restaurants was desserts. They only have fruit salads and pancakes.
    I agree with them when they say, in French language, "Ici on ne parle pas français, mais on se mange bien". In Portuguese should be "Aqui não se fala francês, mas come-se bem".

Favorite Dish: I ordered moutton and I liked a lot.

• pymayhua's Profile Photo

Bagan Thande Buffet Restaurant: Don't miss the Myanmar snacks

by pymayhua Written Mar 26, 2011

February, 2011

# Buffet breakfast
    # Unforgettable dining at river side terrace
    # Buffet breakfast
    # Unforgettable dining at river side terrace
    a swimming pool where you can relax in style, Singaporean trained bakery and ice cream shop.
    # Grand dining room adorned with Myanmar style arts and crafts
    # European, Chinese, Indian and Myanmar cuisine by expert chefs
    Pool-side garden restaurant

Favorite Dish: Myanmar Traditional Food

• Archeology

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Bagan, Aung Resto: Bagan: simple but good

by chrisvandenbroucke Updated May 5, 2004

It's cheap and good.

The pork ball curry and the chicken ball curry do only cost 700 Kyatt (less than 1 euro) and are very good.

The beer is okay and the service als is.

For dessert, we got free bananas and sugar.
    Nice

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Bagan, Holiday: Bagan: good quality but beware of the bill

by chrisvandenbroucke Updated May 5, 2004

We had dinner only two minutes away from our splendid New Park Hotel.

We ordered Mutton kebab ( 1000 Kyatt) and spicy and hot pork (1000 Kyatt) and some Mandalay Beer for the same price.

We had lots of very nice food but the bill was a little bit different. They billed another, more expensive menu and we had to pay extra for the rice. Not nice (that rhymes)
    After all, a very good address

• vodolaz's Profile Photo

Mahar Bagan: To Russians with love !

by vodolaz Written Jul 15, 2006

The owner of this Restaurant is Mr. U Aye Thwin. He is lame in his left leg . If you are Russians , he will be especially glad to meet you and happy to talk with you. He knows very good Russian taste of cuisine , just he knew that we are from Russia , he offered us beef with potatoes. Beef is rare in Myanmar , but nobody offer you potatoes as a garnish - only rice or vegetables.
    He will tell you without fail a story , how he broke his leg in car accident when he was nineteen , and how then Russian surgeon treated him .
    Even just now he remembers her name - Nina...

Favorite Dish: Spicy beef with boiled potatoes

• Beer Tasting
    • Archeology

Instant Answers: Bagan

Comments

Bagan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bagan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bagan sightseeing.