Mandalay Favorites

• A SMALL GOOD RELIABLE TORCH HERE IS A MUST HAVE..
    A SMALL GOOD RELIABLE TORCH HERE IS A...
    by DennyP

Most Recent Favorites in Mandalay

• DennyP's Profile Photo

ALWAYS CARRY A TORCH IN YOUR LUGGAGE

by DennyP Written Mar 1, 2010

A SMALL GOOD RELIABLE TORCH HERE IS A MUST HAVE..

Favorite thing: Here in Myanmar the electricity is turned off anytime day or night for whatever period of time the local government decides..during this time it is essential to have a small reliable torch with you at night at all times..
    The large Hotels and Hostels all have large backup generating systems but the smaller and poorer establishments don't..so when out at night DON'T be without your torch as streets are not very well lit if at all..ALSO when visiting lots of Temples ..Chedis etc...have your torch handy..mine is a small self charging type so as the batteries will not let me down...

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Interacting with the locals

by thedouglas Written Apr 21, 2007

Who looks the funniest?

Favorite thing: We met up with these children at a temple at Taung Thaman village across the U Bein's bridge. They were enjoying their lunch in a cool spot at the temple. We circled and finally went in and spoke to the children and their teacher, took some pictured, showed them the photographs (which is always a hit!), and gave the teacher the equivalent of about US$5 to purchase supplies for their school.

A really lovely interaction with the teacher and the children.

True Mandalay

by vodolaz Written Aug 7, 2006

the real road to Mandalay

Favorite thing: Rudyard Kipling started his ` Mandalay ` poem with the words ` By the old Moulmein Pagoda , lookin` lazy at the sea...`
    This is Kyaikthanlan Pagoda in Mawlamyine city ... Mon state...
    Sea and Thanlwin river kiss there.
    But it is not main thing.
    The point is that there is the Ward in Mawlamyine city , called " Mandalay "...
    Kipling was referring to Mandalay Ward located at the base of Kyaikthanlan pagoda, but not the Mandalay city in central Burma , as most people think...

The last page

by vodolaz Updated Jul 18, 2006

bye

Favorite thing: " Ravings of a madman " ... oh , sorry...

" Diary of a madman "

Directed by vodolaz
    Copyright 2006. All rights reserved.

Thanks to :
    Ministry of Industry (1) , " The Last Way " travel agency , interpreter Bobby and his daughter , chinese driver , steward in the darts room , bright boy on the brewery, all of people in Mandalay.

Special thanks to my wife , my fat lovely son , my parents , my dog who is in army now and I can sleep easy , and very very special thanks to God for I am a madman...

• Luxury Travel

• elpariente's Profile Photo

Monjas - Nuns

by elpariente Updated Jan 28, 2006

Favorite thing: Aunque no muchas tambien se ven monjas en Myanmar.
    Se cortan el pelo y visten tunicas de color de rosa .
    Hacen funciones similares a los monjes aunque socialmente no estan tan respetadas como ellos

Though not many you may see nuns in Myanmar
    They cut their hair and dress with pink colour robes
    They have similar functions as the monks though socially they are not so respected

• Hewer's Profile Photo

The View

by Hewer Updated Apr 27, 2005

The view from Mandalay Hill

Favorite thing: The best thing for me in Mandalay was the view from Mandalay Hill. You have 360 degree views of the countryside around the hill (236m high). There is a small monument in the middle and you basically walk around the perimeter.

I'd recommend having a map with you so you pick out nearby landmarks ;-)

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

North of Mandalay

by Hexepatty Updated Sep 22, 2003

North of Mandalay, bullock cart with monks

Favorite thing: We spent about 4 days in Mandalay, staying at a US Guest House for diplomats & their families. Nice place (Understatement of the year.) There were no other guests, but our family/group of about 10 and we had the whole estate to ourselves with a few household staff members to cook/clean. Each day we would drive to the outskirts of Mandalay and beyond to see, uh, temples and it was very nice.

Fondest memory: We had unofficial escorts. My brother was a US diplomat and naturally, Myanmar 'escorts' followed our every move. While driving out of Myanmar, we got lost. My brother was getting kind of frustrated. He got out the car, and talked to the escorts and asked them for directions. (I'd normally call them spys or snoops, but they were NOT trying to hide their presence.) They helped us get on the right road.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Not a whole lot of cars around

by herzog63 Updated Jun 11, 2003

car

Favorite thing: I didn't see a whole lot of cars but mostly small motorcycles,bicycles,pedestrians,buses, trishaws. Getting on the buses is real tricky if you have even a small backpack as they are usually packed with people.

Sunrise at Mandalay Fort

by herzog63 Written Apr 13, 2003

Mandalay Fort Sunrise

Favorite thing: The south-west corner of the Mandalay Fort is a great place to take in the sunrise. Too bad those ugly power wires have to be in the picture but it was such a great morning anyways. Also there are thousands of locusts(i think) rising up off the water of the moat! They are pretty cool to watch! I had seen the same phenomona at Ankgor Wat last year in Cambodia. I don't have pictures of either event though.

Monk enjoying the view from Mandalay Hill

by herzog63 Updated Apr 12, 2003

Mandalay Hill

Favorite thing: Many people were enjoying their time on the hill. There are several entrances to get to the top. The easiest is the one with 3 storey escalator and an elevator. But there are several covered walk ways that start on different sides of the hill. The one that we climbed started on the South side of the hill and took about 30 minutes to walk up. NO SHOES! My feet were killing me the next day as they were still getting broke into all of the barefoot walking that I was doing.

View from Mandalay Hill

by herzog63 Updated Apr 12, 2003

Temple

Favorite thing: This is one of the many views that you can get from Mandalay Hill. We went later in the afternoon and it was quite hazy so my photos didn't come out as well as I would have hoped but I'll be sharing what I have. You can see quite a few Pagodas on all sides of the hill as well as miles and miles of rice fields.

More of the area near the Eastern Gate

by herzog63 Written Apr 6, 2003

Old Temple

Favorite thing: There was something about the buildings near the eastern gate that attracted me to them. They weren't cleaned up to be tourist attractions! We didn't go inside them but just walked around in the dry grass watching the lizards scurry away every 5 or 6 steps we would take.

Mandalay Fort Museum

by herzog63 Written Apr 6, 2003

Old Buddha

Favorite thing: There are some interesting pieces inside the Mandalay Fort Museum. It's all included for the same price and worth a few minutes (It wouldn't take more than 15 minutes) unless you're really into Burmese history.

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

See Mandalay Palace, Mandalay...

by gabriellefox Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: See Mandalay Palace, Mandalay Hill and the surrounding moat.

The best way to get to Mandalay from Yangon is by coach. I used Leo Express Coaches on the recommendation of my guide in Yangon, and boy was I glad I did. The majority of my party travelled to Mandalay by Train. It was far more expensive, crowded and uncomfortable and the journey took about 3 hours longer.

The coach journey is long, about 12 hours. We travelled overnight and watched the sun rise over Mandalay.

Fondest memory: Mandalay is very beautiful, in a different way to Yangon. You really have to see it to fully appreciate it.

Pictures of a madman

by vodolaz Written Jul 17, 2006

night on moat

Favorite thing: .ereh etirw I nac tahw wonk t`nod I
    ...serutcip eseht ta kool a ekat tsuJ
    ...noitnetta ruoy rof uoy knaht

Instant Answers: Mandalay

Comments

Mandalay Favorites

Reviews and photos of Mandalay favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mandalay sightseeing.