Mandalay Shopping

Zegyo Market

Most Recent Shopping in Mandalay

Zegyo Market: Zegyo Market (IV) - the food market area

by Belsaita Written Feb 5, 2015

A few years ago I could not understand the obsession of my friend with the Asian food markets. But at that time I had not seen one yet. Now I'm hooked too... the area around Zegyo Market did not disappoint.

Zegyo Market - the food market area Zegyo Market - the food market area Zegyo Market - the food market area Zegyo Market - the food market area

Zegyo Market: Zegyo Market (III) - the dressmakers

by Belsaita Written Feb 5, 2015

There are hundreds of colorful stalls selling fabrics in the first and second floor of the main building of Zegyo Market, and a few shops/stalls selling ready to wear clothing.
    But if you take the escalator to the upper floor, you will enter the area were the dressmakers work. it was like stepping back in time. And again (and at this point we realized this would be a constant of this trip) a dream for photographers!

Zegyo Market - the dressmakers Zegyo Market - the dressmakers

Zegyo Market: Zegyo Market (II) - traditional medicines area

by Belsaita Written Feb 5, 2015

In the basement of the main building there is an area devoted to the Burmese traditional medicines ingredients. We would never had know about this if not for our wonderful driver Ko Nay! Being both of us physicians it was very interesting, even we couldn't recognize most of the ingredients, but seeing them preparing and mixing the ingredients was quite an experience.

Zegyo Market - traditional medicines area Zegyo Market - traditional medicines area

Zegyo Market: Zegyo Market (I) - overview

by Belsaita Written Feb 5, 2015

Zegyo Market, a huge market in downtown Mandalay, was first founded during the reign of King Mindon by middle XIX Century as a principal distribution center for beans, citrus fruit, cotton, nuts, onions, rice, tobacco and wheat as well as the main market for jewelry and handicrafts such as silver and gold embroidery. The market was totally destroyed by fire in 1897 and rebuilt in 1903 with a masonry structure designed by an Italian, Count Conte Calderari. This is why they still refer the market sometimes as the "Italian Market" (even it does not look Italian at all). In the 1990s, the colonial era structure was pulled down and replaced with a Chinese-style shopping center. There are two big buildings with different stores and stalls, and a big open-air food market around it. Well worth the visit, we spent several hours there looking at the exotic goods, people watching and taking zillions of photos!

What to buy: We did buy virtually nothing, just a longyi for my friend, a couple of small souvenirs and some fruit for later... but we are not really shopping tourists, more window-shopping and photo-shopping! ;-)

Zegyo Market Zegyo Market Zegyo Market

Kaingdan Market: Fresh Produce Stop

by thedouglas Updated Jun 30, 2007

This largely fresh produce and flower market lies close to the Central Market, and is opened daily. Like most Asian markets, its a colourful, fragrant affair, with row after row of ladies and a few young gents selling their fresh goodies.

Central Market: One Stop Zeigyo

by thedouglas Written Jun 30, 2007

This large centre consists of two buildings from 26th to 28th Sts on 84th. Its the one stop shopping for Mandalay, where you can buy virtually anything you might need, from homewares, spices, fabrics, other practical items and fine gold jewellery and gems. Well worth a wander, and a very fragrant one it is!

• Women's Travel

Around the Ubien Bridge: Buying paintings

by thedouglas Updated Apr 21, 2007

I bought a couple of beautiful charcoal drawings from the stalls by U Bein's bridge. Although he who had the money on the day made himself very scarce for awhile, he had to resurface some time, if he was going to get me to leave! US$12 bought 2 gorgeous charcoal drawings of child monks - put away in my treasure chest!

The bridge is very very photogenic, and a popular theme for the paintings sold here as well.

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Artist at Mandalay Hill stairway: Cheap and memorable

by hydronetta Written Jan 9, 2007

On our way up to Madnalay Hill we saw this artist who was painting these black and white paintings with ink and a razor blade!! The price was 2000kyats (less than 2$) for 3 pieces, making it a definetly inexpensive decoration for someone's room. We bought several ones for our friends and us.
    Later on we found out that they are popular all over the area as well, but as well in Bogyoke market in yangon (but more important if you know the artist)

• vuzu's Profile Photo

keychain: stall at the hill top

by vuzu Written Nov 17, 2006

If you're reaching the hill top near the sunset and the stall is about to close. Stay abit longer and you will get a better deal. It's because the stall keeper will offer you better price before they leave home. Or you can bargain with them also.

Zegyo markets: Blankets/table cloth/lungis

by albaaust Updated Oct 27, 2006

If you want to experience claustrophic buying then this is the place for you. Its a large building with stalls and shops crammed together selling all manner of wares. We spent most of our time in the section where there was clothing,shan bags and lungis- talk about choice!

What to buy: Shan Bag - US$1.50
    T-Shirts US$4
    Blankets US$1-2

What to pay: US $ 2

Lungis in Zegyo markets Blamkets in Maymyo

Pyin U Lwin markets: Visit an authentic market in Pyin U Lwi

by albaaust Updated Sep 5, 2006

This market is near the centre of town and is geared towards the local population. You can walk around the markets and not be bothered by people wanting you to buy.

The prices of the local goods are also quite reasonable.

There are a number of shops not in the main area on the rim which are also quite good such as an antique arts and crafts shop which sold a lot of bronze - see other shopping.

What to buy: Shan Bags

US$20 for Bronze Chinthe/Gnat

Pyin U Lwin market

Shop outside the Pyin U Lwin markets: Gnats to ward off evil

by albaaust Updated Sep 3, 2006

I bought these beautiful bronze gnats in a shop that was on the outside of the markets in Pyin U Lwin. I wondered whether I would see something like these again (at a cheaper price) elsewhere in Burma but I never did so I am glad I bought them straightaway rather than wait.
    They stand about 10 cm in height.

What to buy: My brother bought two bronze Chinthes at the same time so we were able to bargain the price down.
    His Chinthes cost US$33 - I got the better bargain!!

What to pay: I paid US$11 for each one.

Bronze gnats

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Mandalay for Marble (White that is!)

by albaaust Written Sep 3, 2006

There is a street in Mandalay that specialises in carving white marble. Our taxi driver took us to this shop which had lots of marble ranging from small pieces to large Buddhas that you would put in a pagoda.

There were girls working in the shop.

I bought a small Buddha that is about 10 cm in height.

What to pay: I paid US$5.00 for my Buddha

White marble Buddha Girl working in marble shop

• picek's Profile Photo

Zegyo market, Mandalay: local products

by picek Written Sep 27, 2005

I find this place the best in whole Myanmar for buying beautifully wowen longyis or sarongs in the traditional Burmese manner. The huge textile sections offers a lot and it's particulary apprecitaed for its liveliness and amount of colours. Very crowded, indeed. Also, it is a place to buy other textile products like cotton blankets and traditional shoulder bags. It is less expensive than Bogyoke market in Yangon, so it's worth to take it into consideration if you are into buying textiles.

What to buy: Longyi, shoulder bag, thanaka wood, cotton blanets

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Side of the road: Buy a bag of sand

by herzog63 Written Apr 6, 2003

There are piles of sand that can be purchased by the bag along the road. I don't know exactly what it would be used for. Maybe mixing with concrete. But I saw it a few times. As I was travelling light I couldn't carry a bag home with me.

How much do ya need?
    • School Holidays

Instant Answers: Mandalay

Comments

Mandalay Shopping

Reviews and photos of Mandalay shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mandalay sightseeing.