Nyaung-u Restaurants

Aroma restaurant., Nyaung U, Myanmar.
    by planxty
    Shway Yoe restaurant, Nyaung U, Myanmar.
    by planxty
    Pho Cho restaurant, Nyaung U, Myanmar.

Most Recent Restaurants in Nyaung-u

• planxty's Profile Photo

Shway Yoe restaurant.: A very good newcomer.

by planxty Updated Mar 29, 2006

Shway Yoe restaurant, Nyaung U, Myanmar.

I would think I'm the first to write about this place, as it had only been open two days when I first visited. I actually only went in for a beer one evening and was much taken with the friendliness of staff and patrons alike. They happened to be showing English football at the time, which was causing great anguish as Chelsea were unexpectedly beaten 3-0 by Middlesborough. This was causing great, although good-humoured distress amongst the betting fraternity enjoying their beer and snacks.

To my regret now, I actually left it until my last night in Nyaung U to eat here, and what a great meal it was. I had become friendly with the chef , who told me he had trained at one of the top hotels in Mandalay. Eating his Indian curry, I could well believe it. It was delicious, served with the usual (and escellent) accompaniments, and easily the equal of the justifiably popular Aroma restaurant. As I was in no hurry, he asked me could he take an hour to prepare it, and it really was worth the wait. I suspect if you gave him a days notice (a common practice in the area) he could prepare something stupendous.

I must say that my friendship with the owner (a Bamar man with a delightful Shan wife) and the chef have not clouded my judgement of the place, it really is superb, and certainly deserves to succeed. It's not on the "restaurant row" but is worth the effort to get to.

The name, by the way, refers to an Scotsman called J.G. Scott, who travelled in, and wrote some books about, Burma in general, and the Shan State in particular. Should you wish to know more about the man, this (Government) website offers an interesting insight.

Highly recommended (the restaurant as opposed the the website).

Favorite Dish: Meat curry with Indian spices and traditional accompaniments.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Pho Cho restaurant.: Not hugely impressed.

by planxty Updated Mar 5, 2006

Pho Cho restaurant, Nyaung U, Myanmar.

I visited here as my guidebook recommended the Thai food (although Bamar, Chinese and Indian are also served), and I must say I came away a little disappointed.

The Thai dish I had was, almost unbelievably, very bland. I don't now whether they have "toned down" the food for Western tastes, but it was really very nondescript. The portions were big enouh, service prompt and friendly, and prices about average for the locale, but I did leave feeling ever so slightly cheated.

Favorite Dish: i wouldn't say I have a favourite here.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Aroma restaurant.: Good, but not the best.

by planxty Updated Mar 3, 2006

Aroma restaurant., Nyaung U, Myanmar.

The Lonely Planet guidebook rates this as the best Indian food in Myanmar, and it relies on this very heavily in it's marketing (have a look at the upper sign in the photo). I don't often disagree with LP, and I invariably use their guides for travelling, but this time they have got it wrong. Indra's in Nyaungshwe serves easily superior food (see seperate tip). Indeed, I found a newly opened restaurant in Nyaung U which serves at least as good an Indian curry (see seperate tip). That, however, is to quibble.

Aroma is undoubtedly a very good restaurant and the food, served in an outdoor setting, is wonderful, . The menu consists of a number of "set" curries - mutton, chicken etc. which come served with rice, dhal (thin lentil soup) and a host of accompaniments. Your meal is served, not actually on a banana leaf as in some places, but on plates set on a banana leaf, which adds a nice touch.

I did find the sign outside somewhat amusing. It states "when you are tired of rice and noodles, come and have some delicious Indian food" So what exactly is Indian curry served with, then?

The owner is an avuncular (and slightly rotund) Myanmar Indian, of Madrassi parentage, who fusses about chivvying the staff and talking to everybody.

At 2500 kyat (2:50 USD) per complete meal, it certainly is a great place to eat.

Favorite Dish: Mutton curry with all the accompaniments.

• planxty's Profile Photo

A little bit of Bagan restaurant.: Very good in a town of good restaurants

by planxty Written Mar 3, 2006

A little bit of Bagan restaurant, Nyaung U, Myanma

I have categorised this place as other, because it does just about everything - Thai, Shan, Bamar, Indian, Chinese etc. etc.

I ate there one evening and had a wonderful mutton curry with all the usual accompaniments. It was served promptly b friendly staff, in a pleasant open-sided restaurant nicely decorated and festooned with Chinese style lanterns.

I have nothing but praise for this place.

highly recommended

Favorite Dish: Mutton curry with all the accompaniments.

Instant Answers: Nyaung-u

Comments

Nyaung-u Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nyaung-u restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nyaung-u sightseeing.