Pagan Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Pagan

Small Buddha

by herzog63 Updated Jun 11, 2003

Buddha

Favorite thing: At many of the Pagodas you can find small Buddhas inside. Some are old and some are not so old. I'm guessing that the ones that are not super sacred are out on display as I did see some that were kept under lock and key.

Zedi

by herzog63 Written Jun 1, 2003

Zedi

Favorite thing: On the grounds of most all of the Payas you will see Zedi's similar to this one. They usually contain Buddha relics such as a hair or a tooth. Although the relics are impossible to see they play an important part in the Paya's importantance. That is only my observation and it could be off by a mile.

Atwinzigon Paya restoration

by herzog63 Written Jun 1, 2003

Scaffolding

Favorite thing: When you walk behind the main building of the Atwinzigon Paya you will see this stupa. It was being restored while I was there. I found the scaffolding to be quite interesting. It was a style of scaffolding that I hadn't seen before.

Blocked off entrances

by herzog63 Written May 9, 2003

Blocked Entrance

Favorite thing: At most of the bigger Payas and some of the smaller ones the entrances to the interior were usually blocked off like this picture. Probably a deterrant to vandalism and theft. The Main Entrance will be open for you to gain entry.The designs of most of the Payas had an open style with lots of doors and they probably weren't planning on vandalism when the were first built. But times have changed.

Groups of Payas

by herzog63 Written May 7, 2003

Small Paya

Favorite thing: There are several groups of lesser known Payas spread out all over the Bagan area. This is one of the Payas located between the Bagan-Nyaung U Road and Anawrhta Road just south-east of Nyaung U. These are accesed from small dirt paths that intersect with the main roads. They are fun to go check out but there aren't any special icons or architecture to be found in most of them.

• Castles and Palaces

Sapada Paya

by herzog63 Written May 7, 2003

Sapada Paya

Favorite thing: This is the Sapada Paya. Nothing very important as far as I could tell. But is a good landmark to know if you are staying at one of the guesthouses near it. As I was staying at The Large Golden Pot which is directly across the road from Sapada Paya.

Some Temples have signs! LOL

Myat Taw Pye Phaya

Favorite thing: Sometimes I wouldn't be sure of where we were or what temple we where at. So it was helpful to have a sign. I'm still kicking myself for not writing down the names of the temples as I photographed them! Because we didn't go in any special order. We rode all over the place.

Beautiful Pagodas

Bagan

Favorite thing: There are so many Beautiful Pagodas that dot the "skyline" of Bagan! My son and I really enjoyed our time just cruising around on our bikes and could hardly tell that it was so hot out. Well we could tell as we drank quite a bit of water! LOL It sure was hot in the middle of the day but there were so many cool temples to visit that we just kept riding and checking them out.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Taking pictures while riding!

New construction

Favorite thing: This shot was taken while I was riding down the trail. I just reached into the front basket on my bike and grabbed the camera. So It came out better than I thought it would. I guess there aren't enough pagodas in the area (only 4000 or so) so they are building some more! It looks like they are keeping with the similar styles of the older Pagodas.

by herzog63 Written Apr 3, 2003

Old Bagan

Favorite thing: My son in Old Bagan at one of the temples. We are waiting for the sunset. It was quite spectactular but I lost the photos due to human error! My own! Somehow I messed up putting the film in my camera and I didn't take that much digital that evening. Oh well.

Instant Answers: Pagan

Comments

Pagan Favorites

Reviews and photos of Pagan favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pagan sightseeing.