Mingun Transportation

Personally-hired boats to Mingun
    by stamporama
  • My wife, her bro and I were the only passengers
    My wife, her bro and I were the only...
    by stamporama
  • Mingun Paya off the portside bow, captain!
    Mingun Paya off the portside bow,...

Most Recent Transportation in Mingun

• stamporama's Profile Photo

Want to have your OWN boat?

by stamporama Updated Feb 18, 2015

If you wish to tour Mingun from Mandalay, the best way is to go there by boat. According to our hotel reception, we had 2 options: take either the government-owned or privately-owned boats that leave Mandalay every 9 AM, and leaves Mingun for Mandalay at 1 PM. There is only one government-owned boat while the private ones are plenty but all follow the same trip schedule. The round trip fare is 5,000 kyat/person. So that's the first option.

The second option is hire your own boat, especially if there are 3 or more of you. You could leave earlier than 9 AM and return anytime, even after 1 PM. We opted for this as we had a plane to catch in the afternoon so we didn't want to be pressed for time. Since there were 3 of us, we were charged 25,000 kyats which we felt was reasonable. We were given free coffee, tea, bananas and roasted peanuts.

Personally-hired boats to Mingun My wife, her bro and I were the only passengers Mingun Paya off the portside bow, captain!
    • Sailing and Boating

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

Taxi in Mingun

by AngMimi Written Feb 17, 2013

Whistle.........Taxi....Taxi....!!!
    Hehe..Don't be surprised to find these Bullock carts as Taxi in Mingun. You can take the taxi from Mingun Paya to Hsinbyume Paya. Just a short distance, you can actually walk, but if you feel like sitting on a bullock cart, then go ahead and take pictures for rememberance.

Taxi Driver smilling to me!! Hmm..Handsome bulls More Taxis More Taxis!! More taxis!!

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

Boat Trip to Mingun

by AngMimi Written Feb 17, 2013

After a heavy breakfast in Mandalay city, off we went to this jetty along irrawaddy river to take a chartered boat trip to Mingun. Its about an hour boat and 11km ride to Mingun. The weather is pleasant with cold breeze and tend to get hot later, and our boat don't have a roof. Haha..

At the Jetty Happy Susan I'm melting!!!

• 1W1V's Profile Photo

Boat trip to Mingun

by 1W1V Written Jun 20, 2005

It is about 11 km upriver from Mandalay on the opposite bank of the Ayeyarwaddy and accessible only by river. The 45 to 60 minute boat trip to Mingun is very pleasant with plenty of life on the river to see. (see my Burma's transportation tips)

Mingun river bank from temple

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Truck, Boat, Taxi

by herzog63 Written Jun 4, 2003

You can get to Mingun by boat from Mandalay in about 45 minutes. I had a taxi that I hired for the whole day so I missed that beautiful ride. I paid $32 for my Taxi for 13 hours. It was probably about $20 more than I had to pay. The small blue taxi's are smaller but alot cheaper than the way I went. I had fun and covered alot of ground that day so I'm not losing much sleep over it. You can also ride one of these shared pick-up trucks(picture) to get between towns. I'm not sure of times and actually I'm sure there isn't any posted times. In Myanmar nothing leaves until it is full!

Mingun Paya
    • School Holidays

Instant Answers: Mingun

Comments

Mingun Transportation

Reviews and photos of Mingun transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mingun sightseeing.