Mingun Travel Guide

• Mingun
  • Things to Do

Mingun Things to Do

• Cool Drink After A Long visit in Mingun

It's nice to enjoy a cool drink at the nearby shops while waiting for the boat ride back to Mandalay.

• The biggest Bell in the world

In 1790 Bodawpaya had a gigantic bell cast to go with his gigantic pagoda. Weighing 90 tons it is claimed to be the largest hung, uncracked bell in the world. The bell is about four metres high and over flve metres (15 feet) in diameter at the lip. You can scramble right inside it and some helpful bystander will give it a good thump so you can hear...

• Looks impressive

This Paya on the banks of the river looks very impressive but as you can see, when I'd done half of the stairs, I wondered whether there was more to see... and there wasn't. Stupid, tourist based paya.Forget it

• Jingle bells

The Mingun Bell should be the second largest in the world.The one in the Kremlin is the biggest (see my Moscow tips) but this one is much nicer.You can climb inside and let your friends bang the bell so that you come out (nearly deaf) with the resounding noice in your head for the rest of the dayThese are my feet you see

• May I help You?

Of course you may.But I don't know how. There was no office behind that sign post nor was there anyone to see.Besides, what could they help us with? The island is small so you can't get lost...

• Floating houses

On the one hour trip from Mnadalay to Mingun there's really nothing to see but some floating houses.People live on these bamboos and use it to travel around. They're like a kind of nomads

• Mingun: charming Buddhist Island

Here you find what was meant to be the biggest Paya in Myanmar.Earthquakes decided otherwise.Also an enormous bronze bell

• View from above

Well this is a nice view from the top of Mingun Island to the white pagoda beneath (which we didn't visit).

• Unfinished Pagoda of Mingun

If King Bodawpaya had succeeded in his grandiose scheme Mingun might now have the world's largest pagoda. When Bodawpaya died in 1819 construction was abandoned. Each side of the enormous base measures 72 metres (235 feet) and the lowest terrace measures 140 metres (450 feet). There are projecting arches on each of the four sides.

• Young Monk checking out NBA cards

Not really a Must See tip.....My son and I had brought along a lot of NBA collector cards to hand out as small gifts for children. They seemed quite popular. This guy was quite happy to receive his. He said thank-you as we left. I am always torn about what to have for a small gift and whether or not even have something. It can lead to the kids...

• A view of Mingun

This is a view of the area. You can see the Hsinbyume Paya in the back of the photo. That area in the photo is a nice place to spend a couple hours wandering around. The Mingun Bell would be a Must see if you've made it this far.

• Ayerwaddy River Scene

The little Jetty here in Mingun seemed to quite busy. There boats coming and going the whole time I was there.

• Walk along the river

This is the gate that I mentioned in another tip. It isn't going to keep any invaders out but it does the job for keeping small animals out. At the end of this path you can see the main Jetty in Mingun. This is were you would land if you took the boat from Mandalay. So it's not that far of a walk to Mingun Paya. Most of the main sites of Mingun are...

• Locals enjoying the day

I also saw many local tourists in Mingun. I was surprised by it as I thought it was a good little distance from Mandalay. But I watched several truckloads of locals pull up to check out the pile of bricks.

• Mingon Paya

My son and I had a very Hot time in Mingun as we arrived in the afternoon when it was very hot! We climbed to the top via brick steps and the sun was beating down on them heating them up!! And guess what?? There was a sign saying take off your shoes! Yikes... Well we did it but it was quite painful.

Mingun Restaurants

• Mingun Street Food

It would be very nice if I could stop each and every street vendor selling all kinds of Burmese Snack and fruits. You can easily find french crepes in Burma, very popular for breakfast, lunch and dinner. :-))Stop and buy some of the snack, I didnt buy because I need to catch up with my other friends. :-)

• Fried shrimps, bwaark

Everywhere in Mingun you can buy fried shrimps who look like tasty chips but are very hard to eat.They are salty, hard to bite and have absolutely no taste.Well, we tried them and broke no teeth...

• Mingun Hotels

0 Hotels in Mingun

Mingun Transportation

• Taxi in Mingun

Whistle.........Taxi....Taxi....!!!Hehe..Don't be surprised to find these Bullock carts as Taxi in Mingun. You can take the taxi from Mingun Paya to Hsinbyume Paya. Just a short distance, you can actually walk, but if you feel like sitting on a bullock cart, then go ahead and take pictures for rememberance.

• Boat Trip to Mingun

After a heavy breakfast in Mandalay city, off we went to this jetty along irrawaddy river to take a chartered boat trip to Mingun. Its about an hour boat and 11km ride to Mingun. The weather is pleasant with cold breeze and tend to get hot later, and our boat don't have a roof. Haha..

• Boat trip to Mingun

It is about 11 km upriver from Mandalay on the opposite bank of the Ayeyarwaddy and accessible only by river. The 45 to 60 minute boat trip to Mingun is very pleasant with plenty of life on the river to see. (see my Burma's transportation tips)

Mingun Shopping

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    snacks and souvenirs

by herzog63 Updated Jun 11, 2003

In front of Mingun Paya under a tree. I had read in the LP guide book that the vendors here were pushy but we didn't experience that. Just the usual "Hello, Look at my store".

What to buy: You can get some locally grown peanuts and soft drinks, water and there are some souvenirs available too.

• School Holidays

Mingun Local Customs

• AngMimi's Profile Photo
    Girl at Giant Bell 2 more images

by AngMimi Updated Mar 2, 2013

You see every girls, old and young Burmese ladies applied Tanaka on their cheeks. I find it very fascinating to see them with tanaka and sometimes with beautiful design of leaf, small whirls, round and heart-shaped. No wonder, all the women in Burma have the most beautiful complexion, no pimples or pigmentation. I have to try them :-))

Picture 1 : Nice complexion little girl
    Picture 2 : In a hurry when applying tanaka, not so neat tanaka
    Picture 3 : Tanaka is a piece of bark (sandalwood), grind with some water and apply in the skin. Can be bought in cream type too.

Mingun Warnings and Dangers

• Mind your step, please!!

Can't find any proper jetty to board the boat. So watch out for :1. Steps going down the steep riverbank of Irrawaddy River. 2. Watch for poorly tied railings too, the railings might give way and you be a humpty dumpty rolling down..hehe..3. You need to walk along wooden planks to get to your boat. Very scary!!!

• The start of the Hot Steps!!

This is where the pain begins!! ahahha If you make the mistake or at least have the bad timing that we had to start your walk to the top at the high sun of the day. You have to remove your shoes. If you want to go up I would recommend trying to be here in the morning.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Mingun? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Mingun Tourist Traps

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Ticket to the Zone

by herzog63 Written Jun 6, 2003

US$3 to enter the Sagaing - Mingun Archaelolgical Zone. It also gains you entrance to all of the areas Temples. You must keep the ticket with you at all times. But I was never asked to see mine. It is valid for 5 days. For most people 5 days would be sufficient to see the sites that the ticket covers.

• School Holidays

Mingun Favorites

• Do It First When You Arrive

For your information, traveller will visit the Mingun temple first when they arrive. It's hot in theafternoon and you have to take off your shoes when you climb up the temple.

• Doorway to Hsinbyume Paya

This doorway was beautiful even though my photo didn't come out very well. The combination of the really bright sun and me not putting the right settings on my camera can make a beautiful setting look bad.

• View of Mingun sights

From the top of Mingun Paya you can see most of the other main attractions. Molmi Paya, Then the building that houses the Mingun Bell, Then the big white Paya is the Hsinbyume Paya. The Ayerwaddy River is also in view.

Instant Answers: Mingun

Comments

Map of Mingun